C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] What do I need to learn BEFORE buying used seat frames?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 12:14 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 225 Posts
Default What do I need to learn BEFORE buying used seat frames?

I have a Want To Buy ad here on the Forum. I'd like to buy a set of 67 headrest seats that are 1) complete, 2) in show condition (even though they won't be used during judging), and 3) covered in black leather (preferred) or vinyl. I know finding a pair that meet those criteria are very unlikely.

What is the best way to get what I want without being stupid with money?
Will I need to buy a set of 67 seat frames as cores and send them to a professional upholsterer like Al Knoch for complete and total restoration?
What do I need to learn BEFORE buying used 67 seat frames?
What do I need to AVOID when considering a set of used 67 seat frames? How would I know if a prospective set of disassembled seat frames are straight and undamaged?

Please educate me on the best path forward

Thanks in advance. Pictures below are for visual reference.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the biggest thing is rust in the frames and tracks. the 67 only latch is unique parts wise and last I fooled with them there really is no parts for them if something is broke.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:39 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
the biggest thing is rust in the frames and tracks. the 67 only latch is unique parts wise and last I fooled with them there really is no parts for them if something is broke.
So, would it be wise to purchase a set of 67 seats that are KNOWN to work and function correctly and then have them disassembled and restored?
Old 05-19-2023, 12:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if your going to have them restored buying them like in your picture is the way to go. much easier to inspect.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:53 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

As for upholstering them, do it yourself. When you find seat frames, buy the new foam, burlap that goes between the springs and the foam, and seat covers--buy hog ring pliers and the puller to pull the clips through the seat foam. Also buy extra clips. When I re-did the seats in my 67 10 years ago with new everything (other than the frames--used the original frames, no repainting required because they were in good shape)--first seat took me all day due to going back and forth to the video, second seat took 4 hours. Not hard to do, just hard on your hands--they'll be sore for a few days because of all the pulling involved. I personally did not want to take my car or my seats to a local expert--you won't know whether they cut corners like using zip ties instead of the metal clips that pull through the foam, etc...

The seat covers where Al Knoch, but I think I bought the tools and extra clips from Zips or other corvette vendor. Corvette America has an installation video on YouTube.

Edit: read your ad--you'll most likely have to convert non-head rest seat back frames, using the parts that are available. Not sure you'll find original headrest frames for a 67 without paying an arm and leg because they were pretty rare.. Also your choice but not sure why you just don't work with the seats you have--if you're not going for judging, just convert them and be happy.

Last edited by boxster99t; 05-20-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:44 PM
Dru282
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 65 I had a friend weld the bracket in for the 66 headrest option. They turned out great and look factory. Like the last gentleman said just use a regular 67 seat and make it a headrest seat. You cannot tell from the outside and it will past any judge. Good luck!!!
Old 05-21-2023, 02:54 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boxster99t
As for upholstering them, do it yourself. When you find seat frames, buy the new foam, burlap that goes between the springs and the foam, and seat covers--buy hog ring pliers and the puller to pull the clips through the seat foam. Also buy extra clips. When I re-did the seats in my 67 10 years ago with new everything (other than the frames--used the original frames, no repainting required because they were in good shape)--first seat took me all day due to going back and forth to the video, second seat took 4 hours. Not hard to do, just hard on your hands--they'll be sore for a few days because of all the pulling involved. I personally did not want to take my car or my seats to a local expert--you won't know whether they cut corners like using zip ties instead of the metal clips that pull through the foam, etc...

The seat covers where Al Knoch, but I think I bought the tools and extra clips from Zips or other corvette vendor. Corvette America has an installation video on YouTube.

Edit: read your ad--you'll most likely have to convert non-head rest seat back frames, using the parts that are available. Not sure you'll find original headrest frames for a 67 without paying an arm and leg because they were pretty rare.. Also your choice but not sure why you just don't work with the seats you have--if you're not going for judging, just convert them and be happy.

boxster99t, all good info in your post. Thanks. Like everything that I've never done before I'm a little intimidated by it because I'm not gifted in the mechanical aspect of my brain, but surely I could figure it out???

[QUOTE=boxster99tAlso your choice but not sure why you just don't work with the seats you have--if you're not going for judging, just convert them and be happy.[/QUOTE]

While I am not the original owner of my car and have no way to prove it, it's possible that the seats in my car are my car's born with seats. And I suppose it's also possible that the vinyl is also the born with cover(s). For these possible reasons I am choosing to leave those seats as they are. Also, because my car was born with standard seats and because I will someday have my car judged the seats currently in my car will need to stay as is for when it's judged. I want a second set of headrest seats for all the other times when we might be enjoying the car. I would hate for my 17 year old son, my 12 year old daughter, or my wife to be in the car with me when some jackass is paying more attention to their phone and hits us from behind without any kind of head restraint. I've seen too many of those injuries to not be paranoid, and this is the reason I want a second set of seats - headrest seats. Standard seats will be in for judging. Headrest seats will be in for driving/enjoying.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:55 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dru282
On my 65 I had a friend weld the bracket in for the 66 headrest option. They turned out great and look factory. Like the last gentleman said just use a regular 67 seat and make it a headrest seat. You cannot tell from the outside and it will past any judge. Good luck!!!
Yep, that's probably what we'll have to do. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:53 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Seat Track Service Information

Here's an older post on seat track servicing that includes some information on the seat frames you might find helpful:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cing-info.html

The post is for 1966 cars but the seat frame information starting on post #7 should be very similar. Worth a look I think. Good luck.

Thomas
Old 05-24-2023, 11:46 AM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BB767
Here's an older post on seat track servicing that includes some information on the seat frames you might find helpful:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cing-info.html

The post is for 1966 cars but the seat frame information starting on post #7 should be very similar. Worth a look I think. Good luck.

Thomas
Thank you BB767 / Thomas!

Get notified of new replies

To What do I need to learn BEFORE buying used seat frames?

Quick Reply: [C2] What do I need to learn BEFORE buying used seat frames?