C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another 63 Fuel Inj question-choke adj?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 05:28 PM
jwindarwin
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Another 63 Fuel Inj question-choke adj?

Have a 63 unit on my 57 Chev 150 sedan. Just back home in OH after about a month in FL.
This car does not start well after it has sat for a lengthy period. Knowing that I wondered if it would start. Hooked up the battery and it spun over nicely but after trying several times it gave no signs of trying to start.
Often wondered if starting fluid would make a difference in starting after a period of non use, so took a can of brake cleaner and shot some of the spray past the choke butterfly

and throttle plate. PRESTO! Started so quick it was scary…

I’m using an electric choke on this car and it is working ok. Is there something I can do to help this car start without the aid of starting fluids, etc.

The choke is closing against the internal stop pin. Fast idle cam ok, but the unit seems like it won’t pull in any fuel for the initial start up. Generally if the car is started every 3-4 days it will start, but a long break makes for a hard start scenario.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated!

Jerry
Old 02-27-2023, 05:46 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Jerry, you just need to start and drive the car more often. I don't mean for that to sound like a snarky response but it probably does. I'm serious, though. What you've described matches my experience with every FI unit I've let sit for an extended period.

My starting technique for FI units which have been allowed to go dry is to crank for a few seconds and then walk away. Come back, crank for a few seconds and walk away. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the engine lights off. I don't guarantee that this is the best technique but it works for me.

But, really, just drive your fuelie more often. That's the best.

Jim
The following 4 users liked this post by jim lockwood:
1969RAY (02-28-2023), Leo Guggenbiller (03-13-2023), mblake101 (02-27-2023), OC-1 (03-02-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:49 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Mine is fresh (restored by Ken Hansen) and it always cranks for awhile before it starts. No big deal, and normal.

Yesterday one of my good friends was here and I hadn't run the car in 3 weeks. Started easily. Remember there is no accelerator pump in a FI system, so one pedal depression just sets the choke and that is all that you need. Crank for a few seconds. Pause. Crank again and it should start in a few revolutions.

We had the easiest winter in 20 years in Chicago so I have been able to get out a few times on dry and salt-free roads. Keeping things moving is really beneficial.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:25 AM
jwindarwin
Racer

Thank you Jim and Supreme Deluxe and I know both of you are correct. This new 383 Blue Print runs really nice once it fires up. This car has been a total restoration and I work on it as time allows. To be honest it is close to being finished but some more work to do. One obstacle is that I have not had the front alignment done and may not get that done till the weather cooperates here in SEOhio.

But,yes, it needs to be on the road and exercised and it will be this year, I promise! I just thought maybe I was overlooking something simple in the choke system. From your response it sounds sorta normal. I’ll take that as a win for now.

Many, many thanks to you both and all the brethren of CF

Last edited by jwindarwin; 02-28-2023 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cramus (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 08:15 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

what Jim said!! I will crank the car a couple of times, come back later in the day and it fires w/o too much fuss. If it were an everyday driver, the problem would be non existent. Trick is to start it at least once a week and preferably drive it often and the hard start problems go away. Seems about a week of a bit less is about right for a quick start. that's where AV fuel comes in handy.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:30 AM
jwindarwin
Racer

I agree OC-1. No Av-Gas here in the country but I do use 90 octane leaded rec fuel. That should help with evaporation and shelf life.

thanks for taking time to chime in

jerry
Old 03-12-2023, 09:28 PM
jwindarwin
Racer

Originally Posted by OC-1
what Jim said!! I will crank the car a couple of times, come back later in the day and it fires w/o too much fuss. If it were an everyday driver, the problem would be non existent. Trick is to start it at least once a week and preferably drive it often and the hard start problems go away. Seems about a week of a bit less is about right for a quick start. that's where AV fuel comes in handy.
Well, just as a test and doing other work, this car has satin my garage for 7 or 8 days without being started. I tried your suggestions. Tried to start the car and it didn’t even think about starting. Walked away and came back in 1/2 hr or so and it started on the first revolution.
So my question to you guys, what is taking place during the first failed attempt to start and the quick start 1/2 hr later??? Don’t get it; has fuel both times, spark is good. Why does waiting a period of time help these old FI engines fire up after a long hiatus??
Old 03-15-2023, 09:21 PM
tangel2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Purely my speculation, but I expect once the fuel bowl level has dropped below the hi press gear pump, the pump becomes and remains airbound even after fuel is pumped into the bowl intake. Waiting a bit allows the fuel to slowly push air through past the pump gears.

I have "powered through" this waiting period with a few 20+ second cranking sessions, but i have a hi-torque starter and don't like making a habit of it due to the stress on starter, cables, battery, etc. As Jim said, the obligation of owning a fuelie - drive the car often.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:48 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by tangel2
Purely my speculation, but I expect once the fuel bowl level has dropped below the hi press gear pump, the pump becomes and remains airbound even after fuel is pumped into the bowl intake. Waiting a bit allows the fuel to slowly push air through past the pump gears.

I have "powered through" this waiting period with a few 20+ second cranking sessions, but i have a hi-torque starter and don't like making a habit of it due to the stress on starter, cables, battery, etc. As Jim said, the obligation of owning a fuelie - drive the car often.
One data point I can offer: Several pumps which I've disassembled have still had fuel inside. The common trait among these has been that they have been somewhat recently run..... idle for maybe weeks to a few months.

So based on this data point, my belief is that extended cranking may be due to the downstream lines draining during periods of inactivity and needing to be refilled.

I can't prove this, of course. It's just a hunch.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:22 PM
jwindarwin
Racer

I appreciate your insight and as usual your theories are better than anything I could come up with. Whatever is taking place I learned another piece of the never ending idiosyncrasies of the GM Rochester Fuel Injection.

Now if I could just figger out how bumble bees 🐝 actually fly… lol!!

thanks, gentlemen……. Jerry
Old 03-15-2023, 10:30 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

The Bill Thomas modified unit on the 400 in my 56 has to be cranked several times after sitting for an extended period.
I crank it for a few seconds (4-5sec), stop for a few seconds, crank again, stop, crank, and it fires. If it has been started in 1-2 days, it fires right off.
Restart when hot??? Gotta find the sweet spot with the gas pedal.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:38 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 784 Posts

This has been my experience also.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:11 AM
jwindarwin
Racer

Originally Posted by silver837
This has been my experience also.
Glad to know that hard starting after a period of non use can be a normal thing for these units. I’m new to these FI’s and have a lot to learn!

Thanks to all who are willing to share

Jerry
Old 03-17-2023, 08:24 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I know nothing about fuel injection units but would this would be a good place to install a supplemental electric fuel pump to more or less prime the unit after sitting awhile. I would either just use it momentarily or figure some sort of inertial-activated kill device so it wouldn’t run in case of an accident and line rupture.

Get notified of new replies

To Another 63 Fuel Inj question-choke adj?

Quick Reply: Another 63 Fuel Inj question-choke adj?