C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with 64 steering knuckle bolt size

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 05:38 PM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Help with 64 steering knuckle bolt size

Can anyone please confirm the steering knuckle bolts are both 7/16-20 and 2 inch?

Rebuilding my front suspension and have cleaned everything up, replaced races, bearings and trying to bolt the spindle to steering knuckle. When I took it apart one of the bolts came out easily but the other was completely frozen. It broke in half, required a very BFH and many blows to remove. I've lost half of it so cannot measure. Go figure. I did not disassemble the right side so I could use it to copy. Today I tried to remove the bolts to measure, and again one came out and the other (same one) is frozen. It's the aft bolt and the one that's short.

Everything I can find (Zip, other vendors, and Chassis Restoration Guide by Tripoli) says 2 inch but it's not long enough. Picture attached. A 1/2 inch longer bolt will solve the problem but I'm concerned I may have done something else incorrectly to require the longer bolt.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Con

Old 12-27-2022, 05:45 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

Had the same problem replacing spindle bolts on my 66. All the vendor catalogs showed 2 1/2 inches for the bolts and they weren't long enough. Finally decided I was going to believe my lying eyes instead of the vendors and bought 3 inch 7/16 fine thread grade 8 bolts. You didn't do anything wrong and 4 years later I still don't know what's up with the vendors for these bolts. Put in the 2 1/2 inchers and get yourself back on the road!
The following users liked this post:
Con (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 06:17 PM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Avispa
Had the same problem replacing spindle bolts on my 66. All the vendor catalogs showed 2 1/2 inches for the bolts and they weren't long enough. Finally decided I was going to believe my lying eyes instead of the vendors and bought 3 inch 7/16 fine thread grade 8 bolts. You didn't do anything wrong and 4 years later I still don't know what's up with the vendors for these bolts. Put in the 2 1/2 inchers and get yourself back on the road!
Thank you. I've racked my brain for a couple days. The geometry of the knuckle says it needs to be longer.
It will be a while before I'm on the road but need to move forward.
Appreciate your help
Old 12-27-2022, 06:38 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

They are two different lengths, at least on a 63-64. The forward bolt is shorter.

I have a set at work, I can measure them tomorrow if you want. Paragon has the correct bolt kit, I have used it on 2 cars in the past.
Con (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:29 PM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
They are two different lengths, at least on a 63-64. The forward bolt is shorter.

I have a set at work, I can measure them tomorrow if you want. Paragon has the correct bolt kit, I have used it on 2 cars in the past.
Thanks. I did not see the Paragon set which has 2 lengths. I'll get the 2 1/4 in bolts and move on. No need to measure. Appreciate the offer though.
Thanks
Con
SupremeDeluxe (12-27-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 11:42 AM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

As an FYI to everyone, this holds true for all C2 and C3 steering arms 63-82. The rear bolt boss is thicker than the front boss so a longer bolt is needed in the rear location.
Con (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 01:42 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,543 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Trust your measurements and then buy ARP bolts, washers, and nuts from their a la carte catalog. You won't be sorry.
Con (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 07:58 PM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=jim lockwood;1606080084]Trust your measurements and then buy ARP bolts, washers, and nuts from their a la carte catalog. You won't be sorry.[/QUOTE ]

I've read many of your posts Jim, and you are clearly a corvette rock star, so your comment is taken to heart, but ARP, at $5 each, are not inexpensive bolts. These are clearly very important for safety so easy decision. I've been trying to identify other bolts which are equally important for safety. Has anyone every created a list of priority safety bolts?
Appreciate your help.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:13 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,543 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I hear ya regarding the cost of ARP hardware. I don't care about the cost when it comes to steering and brakes, but I am probably in the minority.

You might look into aircraft AN hardware. It has consistent quality. The bolts are a little less strong than real Grade 8 bolts. You do need to accurately measure the grip length you need. They might be less expensive than ARP, but I don't know this for sure.

One last point I can offer is that the cheap hardware store bolts sold as Grade 8 originate off shore and have miserable quality consistency. There is no way on God's green earth that I would use them in such mission critical applications as steering or brakes.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:32 PM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Understood. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:27 AM
Steve439
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Con;1606081494]
Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Trust your measurements and then buy ARP bolts, washers, and nuts from their a la carte catalog. You won't be sorry.[/QUOTE ]

I've read many of your posts Jim, and you are clearly a corvette rock star, so your comment is taken to heart, but ARP, at $5 each, are not inexpensive bolts. These are clearly very important for safety so easy decision. I've been trying to identify other bolts which are equally important for safety. Has anyone every created a list of priority safety bolts?
Appreciate your help.

The fact that GM was willing to spend the money on changing the '69 and up bolts to 1/2" is pretty solid proof the originals were undersized.

Now lets talk about 7/16" wheel studs...

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 64 steering knuckle bolt size

Quick Reply: Help with 64 steering knuckle bolt size