C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] What's the cooling capacity of an original PG trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 10:48 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Default What's the cooling capacity of an original PG trans cooler?

I can't find any data what the BTU value of a PG trasnmission cooler in a C2 is. I'm curious how it compares to a modern small Derale plate and fin cooler.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:42 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,033 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by swissie
I can't find any data what the BTU value of a PG trasnmission cooler in a C2 is. I'm curious how it compares to a modern small Derale plate and fin cooler.
Doubt that it is published but perhaps one of the P.E.'s here will figure it out. In my experience plate type exchangers are very efficient and likely more so than the loops of tubing found in old style radiators. The Power Glide was often air cooled on low power versions via vent holes in the bell housing and is known to be tolerant of heat, cold, wanton abuse, and neglect perhaps more so than any other automatic transmission.

Dan
Old 12-26-2022, 02:35 PM
swissie
Racer

Originally Posted by dplotkin
. The Power Glide was often air cooled on low power versions via vent holes in the bell housing and is known to be tolerant of heat, cold, wanton abuse, and neglect perhaps more so than any other automatic transmission.

Dan
Well Dan, that's exactly my issue having upgraded to a 700R4 which would probably benefit form a better cooler.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:44 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I'm installing a 2004R into a 65 and eliminating the external cooler for one in the new radiator. My thought is that the lock up torque converter will produce less heat than the PG. I've installed several of these transmissions in C3's using the integrated cooler in the radiator without issue.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:48 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,033 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by swissie
Well Dan, that's exactly my issue having upgraded to a 700R4 which would probably benefit form a better cooler.
Maybe. However the typical Power Glide was capable of towing without the heat reduction achieved by the lockup clutch of the 700. I think you will be good.

Dan
Old 12-27-2022, 03:34 AM
swissie
Racer

Given the fact that the shifter gets very hot when the trans is not in OD, as in city driving or twisty backroads, I have my doubts...
Old 12-27-2022, 08:33 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,121 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
I'm installing a 2004R into a 65 and eliminating the external cooler for one in the new radiator. My thought is that the lock up torque converter will produce less heat than the PG. I've installed several of these transmissions in C3's using the integrated cooler in the radiator without issue.
What's the down side of running an external cooler?
Old 12-27-2022, 09:24 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
What's the down side of running an external cooler?
There are pro's and con's for both internal and external. I like the internal cooler because it's very efficient and also helps the trans get to operating temp in cool weather. Another thing not to my liking is the external cooler taking up real estate in front of the condenser as well as the extended rubber hoses. If this were a tow vehicle, then more cooling might be needed. My C3 has a trans temp gauge as well as the internal cooler, it runs within a few degrees of engine temp which is ideal.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the cooling capacity of an original PG trans cooler?

Quick Reply: [C2] What's the cooling capacity of an original PG trans cooler?