C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Soft Top WX Strip Install on 62

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 10:12 PM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Soft Top WX Strip Install on 62

L&R Side lower corner

Ok, guys,
I bought the complete WX stripping kit and have installed all of it with the exception of the one long piece that runs along the bottom of the soft top. I have that worked out but although I have a basic idea of where these two puppies go, for the life of me I can not figger out how to install them. or how they fit.
I have looked at friends tops but still can not figure it out.
I KNOW that these go on the lower edge of the top just behind each door but that's as far as I can get.

What say all of you geniuses?

Eddie
Old 12-14-2022, 07:08 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 564 Likes on 338 Posts

Is your frame on the car with top material installed? Makes it a bit tougher if it is.

See this thread below. PDF Part 1, Page 58+. Also somewhere in Part 2.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...storation.html

Rich

The following 2 users liked this post by rich5962:
65GTO (12-14-2022), Drummer Boy (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
Is your frame on the car with top material installed? Makes it a bit tougher if it is.

See this thread below. PDF Part 1, Page 58+. Also somewhere in Part 2.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...storation.html

Rich
Yes, the top is installed on the car.
The pdf's you made are genuine works of art. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to produce something so complete.
Fortunately for me, the top fits well enough that it can be used effectively without any heroic measures on my part. Also, I use it so infrequently that I have no real worries. Especially since it seldom rains in AZ.
Thanks again.
Eddie
Old 12-14-2022, 12:07 PM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Really nice work Rich. I plan to resurrect all these "Replace your top How-To's " threads (some are within the last few weeks) and make a decision if I should give it a try on my 62. Like most of us, I have hands on restored a number of vintage cars and PU trucks, but never attacked a convertible top replacement. I already have the top kit from AK, and was just going to farm it out, but I am getting price quotes of over $1200 just for the labor. Reputable shops... but really... when is the last time they actually did a C1 corvette.. and are those people even the same people still on staff (employee turn-overs and retirement of skilled people being what it is). I fig if a 1st timer on a C1 is going to doing it.. if I take my time I probably can do just as well myself. If the price was more like $700, I might have just farmed it out.. But $1200 is putting it over the top (pun intended)

Thanks again for the super effort on the guides !
Old 12-14-2022, 08:11 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Last year I had the top replaced on my "62. Work was done by the same gent who replaced the previous roof in 1985. I did a little "helping". He charged me $200 and I gave him a $50 tip.. Within a few weeks he retired and said "never again".

Get notified of new replies

To Soft Top WX Strip Install on 62

Quick Reply: Soft Top WX Strip Install on 62