C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] My 1966 brake lights.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 04:55 PM
corvett66
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My 1966 brake lights.......

Not too long ago I posted that the brake lights on my 1966 coupe were not working. The first thing I checked was the switch down at the brake pedal. It was working just fine. Then several people posted that the brake lights go through the turn signal switch, which I did not know. They posted some pics of what the inside of the turn signal switch should look like, with the metal tangs touching the different contacts.
I took off the top end of my column and opened up the turn signal switch. The metal tangs didn't look anything like they were supposed to in the posted pics. They were not touching the brake contact. It looked like somebody had messed with them in the past. I tried to gently bend the tangs so they would work, but couldn't get them right.
So I made several phone calls to different parts places to see if I could buy just the metal tangs, but no luck. So I ended up buying a whole new switch and just swapped out the tangs and put them in my old switch. Problem solved! Brake lights and turn signals work just fine now.
Many thanks to the people who posted the pics of the turn signal switch. I never would have known what to do.
The following users liked this post:
kts1962 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 07:57 PM
'66coupe
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by corvett66
Not too long ago I posted that the brake lights on my 1966 coupe were not working. The first thing I checked was the switch down at the brake pedal. It was working just fine. Then several people posted that the brake lights go through the turn signal switch, which I did not know. They posted some pics of what the inside of the turn signal switch should look like, with the metal tangs touching the different contacts.
I took off the top end of my column and opened up the turn signal switch. The metal tangs didn't look anything like they were supposed to in the posted pics. They were not touching the brake contact. It looked like somebody had messed with them in the past. I tried to gently bend the tangs so they would work, but couldn't get them right.
So I made several phone calls to different parts places to see if I could buy just the metal tangs, but no luck. So I ended up buying a whole new switch and just swapped out the tangs and put them in my old switch. Problem solved! Brake lights and turn signals work just fine now.
Many thanks to the people who posted the pics of the turn signal switch. I never would have known what to do.
when I got my '66, the brake lights didn't work. turned out to be a short on the interior lights. the interior lights and brake lights feed off the same (power all the time) circuit. never found out what the problem was as the car got a wire harness replacement, everything works as new now.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:13 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

Good to hear you have it sorted out. The consensus on here is reproduction turn signal switches are on the junky side, but when the original is beyond repair, there isn't much else you can do.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:03 PM
boblozito
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1966 coupe. my brake lights are not working either however my turn signals and all other lights are working fine. When you had your issue with the brake lights, were the turn signals also not working?

Ive changed out, fuse, brake light switch and checked all light filaments. All in order.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:03 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

With all things electrical on a Corvette CHECK THE GROUND WIRE CONNECTIONS!!!!! Since Corvettes are not body ground you have to check each of the ground wires.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:13 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by CCrane72
With all things electrical on a Corvette CHECK THE GROUND WIRE CONNECTIONS!!!!! Since Corvettes are not body ground you have to check each of the ground wires.
if the brake lights don’t work
and the tail lights do, it CANNOT be a ground issue. They have the exact same ground, and the rear turn signals use the exact same ground, wires bulbs and filaments.
The following users liked this post:
C2Scho (02-17-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To My 1966 brake lights.......

Quick Reply: [C2] My 1966 brake lights.......