C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase

A group purchase is being setup in the C3 section for our Steeroids rack & pinion steering kit. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=466318
For those of you not familiar with it you can check out details at http://www.speeddirect.com/Products/...e__63-_82.html To make a few points, our system does NOT permanently alter the car in any way so it can be returned to stock at anytime. You can use your stock power steering pump, we supply hoses to connect to it. The photos on our web site show the brackets painted purple, this is only for photographic purposes. The brackets come powder coated gloss black.

If you have further questions please let us know.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,572 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (Speed Direct)

Do you have a non power steering version?
Old 01-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Speed Direct

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (BobG)

Yes, the non power assist version is basically the power system without the hoses connected. There is no problem with doing this, we have tested this (put about 5000 miles on the car) and the steering effort is about what the stock system is.

Also, if you are interested in participating in this group purchase please contact Captian Morgan in the C3 thread so he can add you to the list.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry, I missed something here.

"...the non power assist version is basically the power system without the hoses connected. There is no problem with doing this, we have tested this (put about 5000 miles on the car) and the steering effort is about what the stock system is."

If the non power steering effort is about what the stock system is then why bother? The point (for me, I guess) of this mod is to enhance driveability without having the "it's too easy" feel of power steering - which is what rack and pinion steering is all about. But what I'm getting here is that we need a power steering pump to achieve those results because the non-powered version of Steeroids steers like the stock unit - I'll need Ahhrnold to help me steer at low speed. Is that right? If not, please help.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:36 PM
stngry63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (Islander21)

I'm curious too. Would any engineers respond?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Speed Direct

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (stngry63)

I apologize for the delay in responding, things have been busy around here today. To a degree, yes, you are missing something. I'm not trying to be rude or arrogant but basic physics principles apply here. Changing the type of mechanism used won't appreciably increase or decrease the input force needed to steer the car. The input force can only be changed by changing the leverage (mainly steering ratio) or adding a power assist. The point of a rack and pinion is that it is much more precise (significantly reduced steering play) and it is a simple design. When run without power assist Steeroids will have the same effort as the stock manual system but it doesn't steer anything like the stock system. The stock system is sloppy and inefficient. Steeroids eliminates the slop but it also increases the steering ratio to yield 2.5 turns lock-to-lock making your 30 to 40 year old car steer like a 2003 model car. I won't say it will exactly steer like a 2003 Corvette because you would have to run equivalent tires for it to work that well, but it is possible.

Basically, a non-power assist car will have the same steering effort regardless of the steering system design. The difference is that a rack and pinion will be much more controllable and precise while driving.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:10 AM
63bruce
Intermediate

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase

Hi guys, I'm in the middle of installing the Steeroids kit on my non-assisted 63 SWC. I'll post pictures once it's in, but I won't be able to comment on performance until the spring. With all the snow up here, power assist doesn't matter, nor does rack and pinion vs. worm and ball - I can one finger steer it lock to lock and back again, the car just keeps going straight. :D
Old 01-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Speed Direct

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (63bruce)

Let us know how it goes Bruce.

For everyone else the group purchase looks like it's set to start 13 Jan and run through 28 Feb. You can join the purchase at anytime up to the deadline. If you have more questions please let us know.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:37 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Will you ever offer a kit for the C1 crowd ?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Speed Direct

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (kenmo)

Will you ever offer a kit for the C1 crowd ?
There is a possibility for that, although we don't have any definite plans at the moment. It may be a few years before we can get to it. We will definitely let everyone know when we have one.

Anyone who wants to join the group purchase is welcome to do so. It will be continuing until 18 Feb.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:22 PM
busfran
Instructor

Why is this posting always on top? I mean it has over 600 visits but only 11 replies. Big deal!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2003, 08:40 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase (busfran)

It's a sticky post. It's supposed to stay on the top. Being a supporting vendor should have some priviledges.

AC
Old 03-09-2003, 05:46 PM
wirenut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to put pwr steering on my '63. If any of you guys in the steeroids
purchase group end up with a pwr steering set-up that you'd like to sell.....
please e-mail me.

Get notified of new replies

To Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase

Quick Reply: Steeroids rack & pinion group purchase