C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 - Aftermarket A/C Systems Choice??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 05:27 PM
WaikikiWayne
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default C2 - Aftermarket A/C Systems Choice??

Ok Experts, I seriously need your advice. I want to get aftermarket AC installed in my ‘65 L76 Convertible. There are two companies i’m researching.

Vintage Air: https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/complete-kits/?make=Chevrolet&year1=1965&model=Corvett e

Classic Auto Air: https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/complete-ac-systems/1965-chevy-corvette-air-conditioning-system/

These are Competing Companies, each manufacturer their own Proprietary AC Systems; neither is a distributor for the other.

Please chime in with the “Good & Bad” of these companies. And if you had to install the system all over again, would you choose the same company? I’ve heard a lot about Vintage Air; not much on Classic Auto Air.

Please help me decide…. Thanks!

WaikikiWayne 🌴🌴

Old 08-13-2022, 10:57 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 967 Posts

Both companies have advantages. I installed a VA system in my 66. It took a bout 20 hours. I could do it now in about 10 hours. Both systems work well. The Classic Auto Air system has adjustable vents on either side of the console. The VA system uses stationary vents at the console. The new VA system uses servo motors to open and close the vents. I do not know how the Classic Air system opens the vents. My VA system cools down to the upper 30s to low 40s in the Florida sun with a black/black coupe. That said, I used Classic Air for rebuilding parts for my 70 SS Chevelle. They have a warehouse full of AC and heating part for cars from the 50s through the 70s and beyond. If you need a specific part or need a part rebuilt, Classic Air is the place. They are local to me. Jerry
The following users liked this post:
WaikikiWayne (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 12:27 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,607 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

VA is close to me in San Antonio. I’ve used VA on a dozen project cars over the years including on my 1954 Studebaker Champion I built copying the 1953 owned by the owner of VA. Never an issue, always cold.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:31 PM
WaikikiWayne
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the replies, and link to Related Thread from 2018. I’m gonna go with Vintage Air. I wish supply was better than waiting many months for kit….

So at least I’ll be Cool next Summer! 😎
WaikikiWayne 🌴🌴
Old 08-13-2022, 01:33 PM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 128 Posts

Love, Love, Love my Vintage Air system, except for significant volume of cold air blowing solely down the arm rest of my 63, via their factory-like center vents. It feels like over 50% of my air is going straight down the armrest to rear of my coupe, with only 25% coming out of each side vent. The center vents have no direct benefit in cooling down the driver or passenger until 10 minutes or so after the heat load is reduced in the entire cabin.

Unless some one else on the forum fixed this problem, I see no way to do anything about it without some re-engineering. I called and spoke with Classic Air Parts Dept to order their center vents, but they advised they do not sell those to anyone whose name is not listed in their system as having purchased their system.

With over 50 days of 100+ temps so far here in Austin, when my garage cools down in the fall, I will be cutting into the duct system behind and above the radio and adding an additional duct hose and an additional vent outlet.

it’s a complete shame that Vintage Air hasn’t added or redesigned a fix for this. Many C2 owners in the area complain about the same issue, and wish the problem could be addressed by VA.

If ANYONE has developed a less unsightly fix, other than inserting some type of temporary diverter in the drivers side center vent, please, please jump in!

Good Luck!

Mike
Old 08-13-2022, 03:36 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

I have used both CAA & VA. Both blow cold air. Install is about the same in time.

Here is what I remember when I install years ago…
CAA had cable controls for the vents…VA uses servo motors.
I preferred the cable because less to go wrong. But after years have not had problems with either system.

I blocked off center vent (orig air car) and let both side blow equally.

IIRC…Both need a little tweaking to get everything installed under dash. Mainly vent hose routing needs to be very close to directions and a little squishing

Good Luck

George
The following 3 users liked this post by Black_Magic:
mblake101 (08-13-2022), petdoc (08-13-2022), WaikikiWayne (08-13-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 08:15 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There is also Old Air, it was on my car when I bought it 10 years ago. It works ok, VA is probably better. I also tried to buy the classic air vents. They wouldn’t sell them to me. The problem with a midyear is the lack of air coming out in the middle of the car. There is limited space behind the dash for ductwork. If I lived in Texas or Florida I would remove the clock and install a nice big vent that blows cold air up high.
WaikikiWayne (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 11:59 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I have used Vintage air in both of my classics. The instructions are clear and all inclusive. The systems are working excellent too. The Corvette was last charged 4 yrs ago when I changed over to sepentine front runner system. The system itself has been in the car for 7 yrs. The latest car just completed last month. One of the gripes I have heard about classic auto air is the lack of clear instructions. That to me is unacceptable. Even though I earn a living wrenching with my tools, to sell a product with the the DIYer in mind and not include a good set of instructions is unacceptable
WaikikiWayne (08-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To C2 - Aftermarket A/C Systems Choice??

Quick Reply: C2 - Aftermarket A/C Systems Choice??