C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] HD brake spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 09:39 AM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 126 Posts

Default HD brake spacer question

My 61 has the HD brake option. I had to put this pile of parts back together over the last 6 years. One of the parts I had to order was the upper spacer between the spindle and the backing plate. There are two of them. I ordered them from a parts supplier and installed them. something does not look right. the backing plate is out of vertical alignment with the drum. I have more of the backing plate sticking out at the bottom than at the top.See photo. It looks to me like the spacer to mount the backing plate to the spindle is too short. Could someone please measure your spacer length so I can compare. Mine is .850 long.

backing plate sticks out over 1/4 inch more at bottom than at top. upper spacer(silver) looks to be too short,
Old 07-16-2022, 10:49 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Since you want to bring the upper section of the backing plate inward (away from the drum), I would expect that upper spacer is too long.

Or do you want the move the bottom in towards the drum (in which case you need to add a spacer to the bottom bolt position)?

I assume both front backing plates are the same (with the top of the backing plates angled in towards the drum)?

Plasticman
Old 07-16-2022, 11:08 AM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

The lower mount is fixed by the steering arm. no spacer so top needs to get longer.
Old 07-16-2022, 11:38 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,543 Likes on 3,008 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
The lower mount is fixed by the steering arm. no spacer so top needs to get longer.
If you put a longer spacer at the top, you will drive the top of the backing plate deeper into the drum without affecting the depth at the bottom.

I think you need shorter spacers, Jerry.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:35 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

You are correct again. I'm tired and I had my Shingles shot yesterday. Jerry
Old 07-18-2022, 06:24 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
My 61 has the HD brake option. I had to put this pile of parts back together over the last 6 years. One of the parts I had to order was the upper spacer between the spindle and the backing plate. There are two of them. I ordered them from a parts supplier and installed them. something does not look right. the backing plate is out of vertical alignment with the drum. I have more of the backing plate sticking out at the bottom than at the top.See photo. It looks to me like the spacer to mount the backing plate to the spindle is too short. Could someone please measure your spacer length so I can compare. Mine is .850 long.

backing plate sticks out over 1/4 inch more at bottom than at top. upper spacer(silver) looks to be too short,
Mine measure 0.92 inches.

Get notified of new replies

To HD brake spacer question

Quick Reply: [C1] HD brake spacer question