C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question for those who bought a car long distance from a private party

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 11:47 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Question for those who bought a car long distance from a private party

How did you handle payment/title transfer when you are not there is person?

And verify title as legit and not a possibly stolen vehicle prior to buying?

I would think spending a few hundred $$ on a lawyer (or some trust worthy person) to act as an escrow agent would be the thing to do to insure that the payment is exchanged while the owner signs the title over to you. I know some states require notary to be present during title signing.

Doug
Old 07-13-2022, 11:51 AM
hornetball
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 74 Posts

There is a net-based escrow service designed exactly for this. Just do a search. Reasonable.
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:21 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
How did you handle payment/title transfer when you are not there is person?

And verify title as legit and not a possibly stolen vehicle prior to buying?

I would think spending a few hundred $$ on a lawyer (or some trust worthy person) to act as an escrow agent would be the thing to do to insure that the payment is exchanged while the owner signs the title over to you. I know some states require notary to be present during title signing.

Doug
I flew out there and we met at the bank for the title signing and also for a letter from the seller that there were no outstanding debts or claims against the car. The bank notary verified all identities and notarized everything. To me, it was worth it for peace of mind.
The following 4 users liked this post by idcwmidi:
mblake101 (07-15-2022), mrtexas (07-13-2022), ptjsk (07-14-2022), sonicss33 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:47 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

The times I have done it, I wire transfer the money to their account, they ship the car and send the title FedEx, I have never had a problem, but I buy from reputable sellers known to people I know.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikelj:
Bowtyeguy (07-14-2022), Factoid (07-13-2022), WaikikiWayne (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:07 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I used escrow.com for a Canadian car. $500 split between buyer and seller.
Wired 20% and 80% by escrow.com
Car was $73k
Old 07-13-2022, 06:35 PM
inspectorudy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 197 Posts

I took a bag of $100 bills after the in-person inspection of the car and title.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:49 PM
mlflotus
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have bought two cars out of state. Both times I requested copies of the tittle just to check that the seller owned the car. I then wired the money. Both times the cars were bought from dealers so I checked on their past history. Both cars were sent via enclosed carrier and I was happy with the transaction.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:27 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

I only buy from private parties. Reason no tax on private party purchases. #2 I don’t trust dealers.

Look at the car in person. Worth the cost of a plane trip.

I’ve sold many sight unseen. The buyer gets a copy of the title before they wire the funds. The day the wire hits I FedEx them the title and 2nd set of keys to the car.

several I’ve sold on eBay. I list the car with a reserve and my contact info. The buyers contact me we make a deal and I add a buy it now to the listing for the agreed price while I have the buyer on the phone. He hits the buy button and sends the deposit via eBay per the listing. This gives the buyer the eBay buyer protection and me the seller protection.

ptjsk (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 09:17 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

I bought my 66 in NJ I am in CA I called road ready inspections where they did a vin verification and a video and I had a bank do the deal so if it goes south I will not be on the hook .
Old 07-14-2022, 07:39 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mikelj
The times I have done it, I wire transfer the money to their account, they ship the car and send the title FedEx, I have never had a problem, but I buy from reputable sellers known to people I know.
I also did it this way, except I didn't know the seller. Worked out fine.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:17 AM
Corn Fed
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

For the only big $$$ not in person transaction that I have done I wired the money to the seller's lawyer for them to put into an escrow account. It stayed there until my hauler could come get the car. I know and trust my hauler, so I had the title sent with them. Otherwise I would have had the title overnighted.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:07 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,626 Likes on 668 Posts

I sold a car long distance. The buyer brought cash and we went to my bank. He handed the cash to the teller to deposit in my account. when I got the deposit slip from the teller, I handed the title to the buyer.

Because the buyer handed the cash to the teller, and they ran it through their counting machine, it established the fact that it was not counterfeit money.

Ps, I once had a real certified bank check for $10,000 bounce, but never again.

(ALL checks, except postal money orders, can have a stop payment placed on them)

Postal money orders have a limit of $1000. Buy several of them for a transaction and use them instead of cash.
They are cheap.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orde...0money%20order.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/banki...re%20available.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 07-14-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:14 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

When I bought my 67 in 2010, the current owner was in Boston and I'm in TX--I didn't personally see the car but had it inspected by Joe Scafidi, owner of the BowTie Shop in the area, whom I had met the same week when up there looking at a different 67. I had the owner email me a picture of the title, and the sale was arranged thusly: 1. He took the car, its keys, to Joe. 2. When Joe said he had it, I wired the money. The title was Fedex'd to me the same day.

If I didn't trust Joe, I would have flown up there to do the closing in person. It was just serendipitous that Joe knew both the car and the seller. I had a bit of trouble getting the seller to cooperate initially. He not only wanted me to be there in person, but wanted cash. It's no easy thing to get that sum of money in cash, and no way was I willing to get on a plane with a bag full of cash.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:36 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by idcwmidi
I flew out there and we met at the bank for the title signing and also for a letter from the seller that there were no outstanding debts or claims against the car. The bank notary verified all identities and notarized everything. To me, it was worth it for peace of mind.
Originally Posted by mikelj
I've done both of the above. with people I've known and those I did not.

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
I only buy from private parties. Reason no tax on private party purchases. #2 I don’t trust dealers.

Look at the car in person. Worth the cost of a plane trip.

I’ve sold many sight unseen. The buyer gets a copy of the title before they wire the funds. The day the wire hits I FedEx them the title and 2nd set of keys to the car.
I've also sold many sight unseen. I would never under any circumstances buy sight unseen. Definitely worth the price of a plane ticket, every time.

I would also never purchase a car of this magnitude (last 2 cars in 6 figures +) carrying that amount of cash. If someone required it, I'd be out. If a buyer insisted on it, I'd meet him at the bank and take zero responsibility for anything that happened while he took that ridiculous risk.

Regarding private parties, keep in mind that many states, including mine, do in fact charge considerable sales/use tax on private party sales. As well, I've been buying Corvettes since the 70s and I've never found an advantage or disadvantage to buying only from private parties. Private parties lie every bit as much as dealers do.

Also, in any purchase or sale I make I make it clear from the outset that I will not be a party to any sort of financial fraud or tax fraud, including fake sales amounts on titles or receipts, false entries on documents, or untrue statements or documents regarding sales prices, mileage or anything else. Any substantial cash deposits would be reported and explained as required. Anyone who would request otherwise is someone I wouldn't want to do business with, anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
Duck916 (07-14-2022), L76_Cpar (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:17 PM
OldVetteguy84
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 57 Posts

I first contacted my bank and had them contact the branch closest to seller. I then flew out. I wanted to check documents in person. We went to the bank and did the transaction there in front of bank manager.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Regarding my post above and tax paid on private party sales here in the state of Nevada we are not required to pay sales tax on any vehicle we purchase from a private party regardless of the total cost of the vehicle.

if we buy from a dealer in the state of Nevada or any other state the DMV collects the appropriate sales tax at the time of registration.

saves be 8.35%. Plus the dealer prices are substantially over PP in most cases and the dealers are most often consignment shops.
Duck916 (07-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those who bought a car long distance from a private party

Quick Reply: Question for those who bought a car long distance from a private party