C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Havent had a car shipped lately, what's a fair price per mile nowadays.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 11:09 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Used to use Reliable all the time but the last few years they are so busy with the auctions & hauling for the auto manufactures its hard to get any descent rates or delivery.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:30 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Reliable and Intercity were $1000 more than the company I used and would not commit to any schedule.

Reliable also now makes you pay 100% up front.

I paid $600 when the 65 was picked up in Vegas 5 days after booking and $1700 when delivered 6 days later. They were very careful with the car and there was actually another C2 on the trailer when they picked up mine.

I'm concerned to see convertibles on the bottom rack. ESPECIALLY THAT WHITE ONE. If an oil dripper or leaker is over that car, the results may not be pleasing to the owner of that C2.
The following users liked this post:
sbsurfer (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,612 Likes on 666 Posts

My friend just had a loaded 3500 GMC pickup with a 16' loaded trailer brought from Aspen Co. to Ma. The charge was $6500.
It was carried on a goose-neck open trailer towed by a newer 4500 GMC.

(He did not want to back it off the trailer, I had to do it!)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:56 AM
FreakinVette
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I shipped enclosed from NJ to FL 3 years ago and was $1400 on Passport. Was very happy with them and definitely professional drivers.

I’m unsure of that direction demand and how much time you have, but I’d ask if there’s an off season rate. I shipped south when vast majority of the demand was moving north and they gave me a big break on price just to get business southbound. There was only 1 other car on the 18 wheeler. It’s worth investigating $$$.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:48 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Reliable and Intercity were $1000 more than the company I used and would not commit to any schedule.

Reliable also now makes you pay 100% up front.

I paid $600 when the 65 was picked up in Vegas 5 days after booking and $1700 when delivered 6 days later. They were very careful with the car and there was actually another C2 on the trailer when they picked up mine.

that guy cant drive either
Old 07-12-2022, 02:52 PM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I would give another vote for Passport. I paid $1500 from MA to SW MO about 3 yrs ago so probably $2100 by now. They were based in STL but now are in SW MO. I have used them twice. That's inbetween your 2 locations so they should have a good rate either coming or going. I have used Intercity as well but they were higher. Still a good, reliable company.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:18 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,117 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
that guy cant drive either
I don't understand your comment?
Old 07-12-2022, 05:30 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

I think he is referring to the damage on the trailer in front of the man-door
Old 07-12-2022, 08:14 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
We are seeing around $1.00-$1.50 per mile with enclosed trailers. Demand is fairly high and you need to be careful. At the last auction, we had a lot of non-English speaking drivers who didn't know upright from upside down. Fortunately for the buyers--and unbeknownst to them--we would drive some of the cars on the transports. But in most cases, I saw a lot of abused clutches (driving up the transporter in third gear) and almost all had no idea how to work a three-on-the-tree shifter. These guys are operating 24/7 with very little sleep. Some admitted to as little as 2-3 hours a day. Time is money, I guess, but not with my cars.....

My advice: I have always used boutique carriers for my own personal shipping, but I would look at the more established carriers today to ensure that you have experienced people loading and unloading cars.
Funny you should mention foreign truck drivers . A few years back I sold a fully restored 69 Camaro conv. to a guy in NY and the car was to be shipped from my shop in Pa. He made the arrangements and when the hauler showed up it was a hot shot with a three car trailer and the driver could hardly speak any English . He got in the car and was looking at the pedals and pointing . I was wondering what he was trying to say. He wanted to know what the third pedal was for . I told him it in plain English that it was the clutch pedal and he looked confused . I tried to explain but he obviously didn't understand because he went off with a reving engine and a lot of smoke on the brand new clutch. I called the new owner and told him what to expect . . Not trying to scare anyone but I have another horror story with a classic pickup truck so just be cautious who you hire.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:09 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just shipped a car from Delaware to Minneapolis enclosed for about $1800 (Passport shipping) and a car from Houston to Minneapolis (not enclosed) for $950
Old 07-13-2022, 02:59 PM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by idcwmidi
I just shipped a car from Delaware to Minneapolis enclosed for about $1800 (Passport shipping) and a car from Houston to Minneapolis (not enclosed) for $950
IDCWNIDI, what company did you use for the not enclosed transport? I have a lesser valued car that I was contemplating open shipping and looking on people's experience on it.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:08 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustman
IDCWNIDI, what company did you use for the not enclosed transport? I have a lesser valued car that I was contemplating open shipping and looking on people's experience on it.
I went with Montway, but they subcontracted it to another smaller company. I am not sure if I kept the shipping paperwork after the car arrived, but I will look.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:00 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I just shipped yesterday, 1.75 mile. Its not just the miles, its the routes they take. If they have something going that way, or they have to go far off the interstate to grab it , all factors into the price you get.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:54 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bj1k
Funny you should mention foreign truck drivers . A few years back I sold a fully restored 69 Camaro conv. to a guy in NY and the car was to be shipped from my shop in Pa. He made the arrangements and when the hauler showed up it was a hot shot with a three car trailer and the driver could hardly speak any English . He got in the car and was looking at the pedals and pointing . I was wondering what he was trying to say. He wanted to know what the third pedal was for . I told him it in plain English that it was the clutch pedal and he looked confused . I tried to explain but he obviously didn't understand because he went off with a reving engine and a lot of smoke on the brand new clutch. I called the new owner and told him what to expect . . Not trying to scare anyone but I have another horror story with a classic pickup truck so just be cautious who you hire.
If someone showed up to transport one of my cars like above I would call the buyer and explain and suggest he find another transporter.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:16 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,117 Likes on 990 Posts

I’ve shipped a lot of classic cars coast to coast. I’ve used the big names and the independent drivers with a 2 car enclosed trailer and a few with brokers.

I’ve always had very good service from all.

as mentioned 2 times reliable was booked and never showed up. gave them a shot last year when I bought a 64 GTO. They charged full cost up front and failed pick up. I canceled and the money was refunded is a couple of days.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:32 AM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts

Buy a car trailer and tow it yourself even if you have to rent the truck. Much cheaper and safer. Sleep in the truck on the way at Wal Marts. Sell the trailer when you arrive.

Quick Reply: Havent had a car shipped lately, what's a fair price per mile nowadays.