C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Project "Crusty" '66 Corvette rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 04:41 PM
alnoe
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Project "Crusty" '66 Corvette rebuild

Hi Everyone,

I have wanted a mid year Corvette for a long, long time. I drove my brothers '67 L79 coupe to my high school prom, and have saved a few bucks every year to buy one. I wanted to buy a car I could rebuild, and make it the way I wanted, and also use it for video content at work (I work at Summit Racing, and always want to try and use parts we sell).

This '66 needed a LOT of work, but it is coming together slowly but surely. it will be a really fun driver/autocross car when finished. I have now owned a c2 (this car), c3, c5, and c8 (still own and enjoy it a lot).

Thanks
Al
Old 06-17-2022, 05:19 PM
bodaboom69
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I know how you feel, my first sighting was when i was 8 or 9, and i knew i had to have one.
Looking forward to following this build with you
Welcome
Old 06-18-2022, 07:56 AM
3chevelle
Lifetime Chevy Fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great informative, well presented video! Keep the videos coming. Don't cut short on details. I also have a '66 coupe driver.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:23 AM
alnoe
Instructor

Thanks you; will do on the details. The reassembly we will film next should have a lot of those details that are important; torque specs, etc.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:29 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 966 Posts

Great video. Keep them coming. One note, don't be so quick to cut out the trailing arm bushings. My NY driven 68 coupe trailing arms came out in a few minutes by removing the bolts and sliding them out. My CA driven and stored 66 coupe had to be cut out with the carbide bladed Sawzall. You never know. If its not going to be a NCRS resto, consider adding a removable crossmember. Jerry
Old 06-20-2022, 11:39 AM
alnoe
Instructor

Thanks, Jerry. Yes, I tried penetrating oil on the trailing arm bolts but they were SEIZED up big time. We will film the next video in a week or so (Once our NHRA race is finished this week, which will keep me running all week!), so we will get abck to filiming the next one shortly. I have a garage full of nice, suspension parts that look new that need to make Crusty a little less crusty!
Old 06-20-2022, 02:58 PM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,530 Likes on 808 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just a couple things I wouldn't say you always have to cut the TA mounting bolt out. Maybe I'm just lucky but never have had to. And the corvette is not the only GM car that had an independent rear suspension All Corvairs car, truck, van and early Pontiac tempest
Old 06-21-2022, 06:42 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Al,
Great to see you working on the C2!! Look forward to seeing more videos on your journey to bring it back to life. I really need to dust off my 65 Coupe project and get going on it. Hope to see ya soon!!

R/
Jeff Cleary
Old 07-11-2022, 09:55 PM
alnoe
Instructor

Hi Jeff! Small world! I hope you are well and it will be great to catch up soon. If you ever get to Ohio let me know!

Get notified of new replies

To Project "Crusty" '66 Corvette rebuild

Quick Reply: Project "Crusty" '66 Corvette rebuild