C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Convertible - 60 Year Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 01:01 AM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 63 Convertible - 60 Year Refresh

So after 20 years of being a pretty hardcore C2 NCRS guy, I guess you could say I’ve gone to the darkside. Early this year I sold my Top Flight 67 L36 Convertible (back to its former circa 1975 owner) after 16 years of enjoyment. I really wasn’t putting many miles on the car, and really wanted something I would get more regular use of. I almost put down a deposit on a 202x E-Ray Convertible, but decided I still really wanted a C2, but one with more modern reliability and drivability (like my C7 Z06 convertible). I bid on a couple of nice cars on BAT (which were not quite what I wanted) and looked at the “off the shelf’ build options like Heartland, but ultimately felt I could get a better car that was more to my liking at less money by just doing my own. So, I decided to buy a well-used NOM C2 and spec my own car.

I found a suitable donor in Ohio, a 63 convertible that started life as a 3 speed Silver Blue on Dark Blue roadster and lost its original engine somewhere along the way, was painted a “unique” metallic white (likely in a previous owners garage), and at one point clearly had wheels that extended past the fenders (with the expected fiberglass damage still visible). Otherwise – the car was fully intact, with seemingly sound birdcage and original fiberglass.

I lined up a very capable builder to handle the project while I handle the project management. I have most of the major components on order – including a narrow Art Morrison IRS/IFS chassis with Wilwood brakes, custom Halibrand-like racing wheels, an LT4 with Tremec T56, Custom Stainless fuel tank, Dakota gauges, etc. Have most of my design decisions made, components spec’d and am ordering to align with build schedule. My LT4 is built and an transit – the Chassis is the big issue for me right now – was quoted end of May delivery when I placed the order, but now it looks like end August.

I’ve attached a few “before” photo’s. I managed to drive the car home from the shipping facility, and then out to the fabricators shop – but the drivetrain was making ominous sounds so I didn’t want to push my luck or invest in repairs. I follow up with another post – the car is now mostly stripped (of components and paint) – so far no ugly surprises.

Glenn\

The following 6 users liked this post by gbmidyear66:
63silver (05-23-2022), Corvette ED (05-24-2022), gleninsandiego (05-23-2022), leif.anderson93 (05-23-2022), morly1963 (05-23-2022), ptjsk (12-25-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2022, 07:30 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 780 Likes on 437 Posts

Sounds like a great project! You will end up with a very capable car that will be a blast to drive. Looking forward to progress notes and pics.

Patrick
Old 05-23-2022, 07:54 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,966 Likes on 667 Posts

. . . I'm along for the ride - please keep the updates coming!

Tom
Old 05-23-2022, 08:23 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,477 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Interesting.....will be watching! Dennis
Old 05-23-2022, 08:25 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,402 Likes on 924 Posts

This one's gonna be fun.

Live well,

SJW
Old 05-23-2022, 09:13 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 636 Likes on 422 Posts

Very cool-um watching.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:35 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,159 Likes on 1,893 Posts

All the best with your build...will be watching for updates
Old 05-23-2022, 07:19 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

I wonder if that was my uncle’s long-lost 250HP 3-speed ‘63! It was his first car.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:30 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Originally Posted by DinoBob
I wonder if that was my uncle’s long-lost 250HP 3-speed ‘63! It was his first car.
Well, if he was from Ohio, it may be... I actually have a good part of the cars history and old photo's and ownership docs. PM me with his name and I can tell you if we have a match.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:34 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

He was from NJ- never in Ohio- so not the same car. But I have a soft spot for Silver Blue 3-speeds because his was one.
The following users liked this post:
Jaguarmaven (06-19-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:09 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Default First Month Progress

In early April, my builder had cleared enough space and resources in his shop to begin my project. The shop is about 60 miles from my house and I honestly thought it was a 50/50 proposition whether I’d make it there on my own steam given the noises the drivetrain was making. The battery was also on its last legs and would barely hold a charge, I needed to jump it - so stalling the car would also end the journey. Bit of a stressful drive but I managed to make it there unaided.

By the end of April, all the chrome and trim had been removed, dash, carpet, interior, hood, doors. The body mounts were all removed and the body is now just sitting on the chassis. All of the trim components were graded – I’ll replace all the pot metal items with new. Not sure if I will re-chrome the bumpers or just replace them. Plan to get some quotes on re-plating. The birdcage looks good – no ugly surprises yet. I’ll post a progress report for month of May in a week. Going to try and get out to the shop in next week or so and sit down with them to review the timeline for some of the components not yet on order. The Art Morrison chassis delay is the critical gating item right now. The process of stripping the paint is now underway. I expect it should be pretty much done by end of May.

The following 3 users liked this post by gbmidyear66:
Corvette ED (05-24-2022), leif.anderson93 (05-23-2022), USMC 0802 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:51 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,159 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Fantastic (quick) progress. As far as your comment regarding re-chrome or new, my unsolicited advice would be to reuse the original components whenever possible...bumpers especially. Some repro stuff is pretty darn nice but it seems the quality on most repro stuff is heading in the wrong direction.
Keep up the great work. Will be watching for updates
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-25-2023)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 PM
kts1962
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad to see you’re giving this ‘63 a second act!

I noted your choice to use Dakota Gauges on the build and was curious about what you’ve decided to do with the original ‘63 gauges and other ‘63 only parts such as they may still be with the car ?

I have no personal interest (my C2 is a ‘66) but very curious.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,503 Likes on 1,655 Posts

It looks like you're building the C2 you envision. You're off the an encouraging start.
Here's wishing you come in under budget and the time frame is less that you planned.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:44 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Fantastic (quick) progress. As far as your comment regarding re-chrome or new, my unsolicited advice would be to reuse the original components whenever possible...bumpers especially. Some repro stuff is pretty darn nice but it seems the quality on most repro stuff is heading in the wrong direction.
Keep up the great work. Will be watching for updates
Yes, have heard the repop chrome is highly variable, my plan A will be to rechrome the bumpers, but the pot metal parts will just replace - too expensive to rechrome I understand.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:47 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Originally Posted by kts1962
Glad to see you’re giving this ‘63 a second act!

I noted your choice to use Dakota Gauges on the build and was curious about what you’ve decided to do with the original ‘63 gauges and other ‘63 only parts such as they may still be with the car ?

I have no personal interest (my C2 is a ‘66) but very curious.
I'm waiting till the body is off the frame and it can be fully inspected and evaluated. I plan to sell the rolling chassis, all the gauges, wiper motor, headlight motors, seats, other various parts. I'll likely put it all on the forum once I am certain what is surplus and everything has been assessed and valued.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:55 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
It looks like you're building the C2 you envision. You're off the an encouraging start.
Here's wishing you come in under budget and the time frame is less that you planned.
Thanks, and yes, I did put together a detailed budget, too early yet to tell by how much I will exceed it. I tried to convince myself that if after 2 or 3 years I have a burning desire for a different car, I should be able to more or less recoup my costs. If the demand for C2 restomods remains strong that may be true, but but I wouldn't recommend anyone pursue this based on an expected ROI outcome.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Convertible - 60 Year Refresh

Old 05-25-2022, 05:41 AM
inspectorudy
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 201 Posts

I'll be watching your progress with a lot of interest. I have a 64 and from the looks of your car torn apart, I don't see much difference between them. Do you know what the differences are? I do have a 63 300 hp engine but the tranny and everything else is 64 or newer ie, disc brakes, dual MC, and electric power steering. The dash looks identical but there might be some subtle differences.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:45 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by inspectorudy
I'll be watching your progress with a lot of interest. I have a 64 and from the looks of your car torn apart, I don't see much difference between them. Do you know what the differences are? I do have a 63 300 hp engine but the tranny and everything else is 64 or newer ie, disc brakes, dual MC, and electric power steering. The dash looks identical but there might be some subtle differences.
There are literally over 100 differences between the cars. The ‘63 was very much a year of figuring things out for the C2- almost a prototype of 20,000. They refined and streamlined a lot for ‘64. For example- the turn signal mechanics in the column are completely different- not something you’d see from the seat. The fuel door mechanical design. The floor pan shape. Body mounts. So many other things. Experts know more and will chime in. Sometimes I laugh to myself that they look as similar as they do, given the huge amount of small differences! 😏
Old 06-19-2022, 08:34 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Progress on the refresh has slowed a little given that the AME chassis is the gating the project. The body, hood, doors, decklid are now almost completely stripped. The lower body is waiting for a free hoist in the shop in the next week or so to complete paint stripping. The custom tank rom Rick’s has arrived and the custom wheels are expected to ship from the UK likely next week. The tubs for the rear wheels are in transit and the LT4 is just waiting on the arrival of the bell housing and ECU.

Realized my first (I’m sure of many to come) build mistake last week. My goal was to build the car with as standard a GM powertrain configuration as possible so I could to simplify servicing down the road. I ordered the GM front drive system. I now realize that the GM AC compressor is a variable displacement unit that is incompatible with either Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air Systems. Looks like I’ll have to customize the drive and replace the compressor.

Have ordered a number of leather and carpet samples and plan to nail down the interior choices over the next month or two. I expect things will pick up steam and get much more exciting once the chassis arrives.

Quick Reply: 63 Convertible - 60 Year Refresh