C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help identifying '66 hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 07:53 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Help identifying '66 hood

It seems like this would be an easy process but I swear I am finding so many different answers when trying to research this topic. Did the 66 come with three different hood options? I've seen tons of them with the stinger style, I've seen tons that are just flat, and I've seen tons that have louvers. I have read that big block cars came with the bulged hood or the stinger style.

Long story short I've got an absolutely screaming, unbelievable deal on this '66, going to pick it up Monday night and it's advertised with a small block 327 not numbers matching. I'm not pestering the seller with a million questions so I'm going to wait till I get there to see if I can identify it as an original big block car. Either way I'm buying it I just like to know what I'm looking at before I get there if possible. In the meantime I've been staring at these photos like crazy trying to see if there's anything I can distinguish before I get there.

My hope of course is that because it's a 327 that didn't come with the car, that may be somewhere along the lines they replace the 427 that was original with the 327. A guy can dream right? My dad comments that there is no "Corvette" logo on the hood, but I've seen tons of pictures of cars without that logo.

So I guess two questions, could the hood on this car be original to the car? Will it affect the value if it's not.
Is there a general number that having an original big block car adds to the value

Old 05-22-2022, 07:54 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,986 Likes on 4,806 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

No only two hoods where available the flat small block hood and the BB domed hood. You have a 67 style Bb hood
The following users liked this post:
corvettekent (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 08:40 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 967 Posts

In the posted picture, the car is modified. GM never equipped their cars with that type of side pipes. Also, GM never equipped any vette with spoke wheels. I would bring a knowledgeable person with you to inspect the car. Among other things, the car should be evaluated for frame and birdcage rust. Good luck with your purchase. Jerry
Old 05-22-2022, 08:58 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I would bring a knowledgeable person with you to inspect the car. Among other things, the car should be evaluated for frame and birdcage rust. Good luck with your purchase. Jerry
It sounds like you are new to these older Corvettes. Nothing wrong with that, but you DO need to use caution - there are many things that can bite you even though the car looks nice. And since you are concerned about value, you absolutely need an inspection by someone who really knows these cars - not the neighbor who used to have a couple back when he was younger.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:10 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

I also have to say you are not approaching this in a mature, rational way. Statements like "I'm not pestering the seller with a zillion questions" and "either way, I'm buying it" indicate you really have no idea what you should be looking for, what could possibly be wrong, or how much you should be paying. Someone who knows what they are doing needs to look at every inch of the car.

I'm not being mean, but trying to be real. It looks great in the pics you posted, but there are SO many variables they don't show. You could be looking at a difference of $20,000 in fair price depending on what it really is and what condition it's in. Do you have an extra $20k you can throw away just because it's exciting to see in the pics?

One more thing - "Long story short I've got an absolutely screaming, unbelievable deal on this '66," quite often does not end well. There's a REASON it's such a hot deal. Either it has hidden flaws, or it's a scam.

Last edited by Railroadman; 05-22-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:12 AM
74dkred454
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a aftermarket 67 bb hood
Old 05-22-2022, 09:34 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I also have to say you are not approaching this in a mature, rational way. Statements like "I'm not pestering the seller with a zillion questions" and "either way, I'm buying it" indicate you really have no idea what you should be looking for, what could possibly be wrong, or how much you should be paying. Someone who knows what they are doing needs to look at every inch of the car.

I'm not being mean, but trying to be real. It looks great in the pics you posted, but there are SO many variables they don't show. You could be looking at a difference of $20,000 in fair price depending on what it really is and what condition it's in. Do you have an extra $20k you can throw away just because it's exciting to see in the pics?

One more thing - "Long story short I've got an absolutely screaming, unbelievable deal on this '66," quite often does not end well. There's a REASON it's such a hot deal. Either it has hidden flaws, or it's a scam.
Railroadman I tried to respond twice and I was so ugly I had to trash it. You said it well.
The OP needs more knowledge less impulse.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:40 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
In the posted picture, the car is modified. GM never equipped their cars with that type of side pipes. Also, GM never equipped any vette with spoke wheels. I would bring a knowledgeable person with you to inspect the car. Among other things, the car should be evaluated for frame and birdcage rust. Good luck with your purchase. Jerry
I know the car is not all original, I am not the type of buyer who collects based on originality, this one fits my taste perfectly. I have read through the posted checklist of things to inspect on this car, looking forward to posting nice detailed photos once I bring it home
Old 05-22-2022, 09:50 AM
mriley1
Instructor

The seller had it up for 32 minutes and had over 100 messages on the car. What distinguished me among the others is that I got straight to the point. If I wasted time asking him 15 questions I am positive he would ignore my messages and get back to the 99 other folks who he had responding. Not pestering him is a matter of being the one to get the car, or being one of the 99 who lost the opportunity. The car is in my home state so there really isn't any big risk of wasting time. I would much rather get a deal nailed down online and then check the car out in person to confirm it is what it looks like, pay, then take it home. That is just the way I choose to do things.

Seller listed on behalf of his in laws who are moving to FL and only put a price of what their mechanic offered them for it, there is plenty of room in the purchase price to do repairs, or even a full resto, and be into the car for under current market value

Old 05-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mriley1
The seller had it up for 32 minutes and had over 100 messages on the car. What distinguished me among the others is that I got straight to the point. If I wasted time asking him 15 questions I am positive he would ignore my messages and get back to the 99 other folks who he had responding. Not pestering him is a matter of being the one to get the car, or being one of the 99 who lost the opportunity. The car is in my home state so there really isn't any big risk of wasting time. I would much rather get a deal nailed down online and then check the car out in person to confirm it is what it looks like, pay, then take it home. That is just the way I choose to do things.

Seller listed on behalf of his in laws who are moving to FL and only put a price of what their mechanic offered them for it, there is plenty of room in the purchase price to do repairs, or even a full resto, and be into the car for under current market value
and if it has a rusty bird cage your be in hole in no time
Old 05-22-2022, 10:02 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

I will grant that once in a LONG time a great deal comes along - my music forum has a thread going about guys who bought some incredible guitar at a garage sale, etc. But those are rare. If you are able to come out ahead on this, more power to you.

One thing that nags me is the seller is listing it for his in-laws. Why? Either the owner is a "car guy" who made the car into what it is, or is someone who buys a car already restored and great condition. Either way, it doesn't seem he would sell it for what his mechanic offered him for it. Red flag?

Second - I don't quite see why a seller would object to someone asking serious pertinent questions. To me, that would indicate the buyer is knowledgeable and serious, and more apt to give me fair value, than someone who doesn't have a clue what he is buying.

Last - you talk as if the car is committed to you already. Let me guess - you somehow put a deposit on it to hold it for you?
Old 05-22-2022, 10:04 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by road pilot
Railroadman I tried to respond twice and I was so ugly I had to trash it. You said it well.
The OP needs more knowledge less impulse.
Why not have both? Impulse to jump on a deal, knowledge to know whether it's a smart purchase upon inspection. Seems like a good plan to me
Old 05-22-2022, 10:06 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

or could be a scam and you just lost
Old 05-22-2022, 10:07 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

there is plenty of room in the purchase price to do repairs, or even a full resto, and be into the car for under current market value
Making this assumption sight unseen is a leap of faith.

It also appears you've already decided you're buying it no matter. You like the look and will overlook or minimize any thing questionable about this car.

If you really want reliable advice post up everything you can about the car with high resolution pictures. One good picture of the engine bay would just about be enough to determine if it was an original BBC car.

Nothing wrong with a day 2 car but the actual value of one is very subjective.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:15 AM
mriley1
Instructor

I will grant that once in a LONG time a great deal comes along - my music forum has a thread going about guys who bought some incredible guitar at a garage sale, etc. But those are rare. If you are able to come out ahead on this, more power to you.

One thing that nags me is the seller is listing it for his in-laws. Why? Either the owner is a "car guy" who made the car into what it is, or is someone who buys a car already restored and great condition. Either way, it doesn't seem he would sell it for what his mechanic offered him for it. Red flag?

Second - I don't quite see why a seller would object to someone asking serious pertinent questions. To me, that would indicate the buyer is knowledgeable and serious, and more apt to give me fair value, than someone who doesn't have a clue what he is buying.

Last - you talk as if the car is committed to you already. Let me guess - you somehow put a deposit on it to hold it for you?
Hey, they are out there! I recently bought a 1970 Nova valued at 110,000. I got it for less then half. Also recently bought a collectable pickup for 25k less then market value. Just have to keep your eyes peeled!

I would guess he listed for them for the same reason I help my dad when he wants to sell something. To protect him, and to get the item out to more eyes. My dad is.. let's say.. prone to scams. He doesn't see them coming, where I can see it from a mile away. I have listed dozens of items for him so that I can take care of messaging all the people, meeting strangers to sell things, and making sure he doesn't get ripped off. Also knowing where to list so that I can get it sold quickly.

It is not his car, it is his in laws, and it was their mechanic that offered. I am picking it up from his in laws house and meeting with them they have had the car for over 20 years. He is simply there to prevent them from being taken advantage of.

If I were to walk away from the car and lose a deposit, it is no sweat off my back. I have done it before and I will do it again.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What type of 70 Nova is valued at 110k.
blue_74 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:25 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Making this assumption sight unseen is a leap of faith.

It also appears you've already decided you're buying it no matter. You like the look and will overlook or minimize any thing questionable about this car.

If you really want reliable advice post up everything you can about the car with high resolution pictures. One good picture of the engine bay would just about be enough to determine if it was an original BBC car.

Nothing wrong with a day 2 car but the actual value of one is very subjective.
Oh don't you worry, I am looking forward to sharing professional quality photos! I am not buying the car unseen. I have decided to show up with a trailer and a check, inspect the car to confirm that it is in the condition that I want it to be in, and take the car home. Nothing more and nothing less. I think this post and my approach to buying things is being misunderstood by folks who do things differently. What I meant when saying either way I am buying it, is that regardless if it is a big block or a small block car, I am taking it home. what I am not saying, is that if the frame is broken and half and the bird cage looks like the stern of the titanic, I am taking the car home.

Get notified of new replies

To Help identifying '66 hood

Old 05-22-2022, 10:27 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Why not have both? Impulse to jump on a deal, knowledge to know whether it's a smart purchase upon inspection. Seems like a good plan to me
Once again, I hope this works out for you, I'm not hating on you for getting a great deal, if you can. I WILL say that "knowledge to know whether it's a smart purchase" is important. If you had trouble identifying what hood the car has, what the hood differences in that year were. and whether or not it came with a hood emblem, You say you will inspect the birdcage, but can't figure out the hood? I have reservations as to whether or not you are in a position to evaluate the purchase.

The "worth" of the car is what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to take. If you buy it for X dollars, it's worth it to you and it doesn't matter what others think it's worth. To me it still smells funny, but good luck to you and I hope it's everything you want it to be.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

He is simply there to prevent them from being taken advantage of.
If you are getting a "Screaming Deal" he's not doing a very good job of keeping them from being taken advantage of is he?

Guess you'd be OK with that happening to your Dad?
Railroadman (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:29 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
What type of 70 Nova is valued at 110k.
Mine It is a pro touring, nut and bolt restored car. Every body panel, every nut bolt and piece of glass, is all brand new. I am not a purist who likes everything all original, in fact, I hate all original most of the time. I love the look of this C2 because it looks just a bit meaner then they did from the factory, but still looks the part.

Quick Reply: Help identifying '66 hood