C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help identifying '66 hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 10:40 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

I build Protours

6 figure Protour cars aren't built with tiny 4 piston front brakes a cheap US Mag wheels.

Just sayin

Old 05-22-2022, 10:44 AM
rowingone
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts

Only one Nova can be worth over $100k . . a Yenko 427.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:44 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,633 Likes on 1,964 Posts

An absolute, unbelievable screaming deal on a NOM SB modified 66 based on those couple of pictures is in the low high 20s to low $30s provided it moves under its own power, IMO. There’s nothing to suggest it was ever a BB car and convertibles are bringing less than coupes. Unfortunately in that price range it could also be a scam. At that price level the sum of the parts for parting out or resell as a restrorod body if the frame is toast would probably allow breaking even. More $ than that, and your lack of detail knowledge on these cars just screams for taking a knowledgeable C2 owner over for a closer examination of the car before buying.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:47 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,988 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rowingone
Only one Nova can be worth over $100k . . a Yenko 427.
they never built one.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:12 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
If you are getting a "Screaming Deal" he's not doing a very good job of keeping them from being taken advantage of is he?

Guess you'd be OK with that happening to your Dad?
You have got to be kidding. The owners of the car want a certain amount for the car. I have offered that amount. What I mean by taking advantage of, is having a guy come and kick the tire, tell them it's worth 15k less, and driving off with the car knowing nothing is wrong.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:14 AM
rowingone
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...a-cow-pasture/
Old 05-22-2022, 11:14 AM
63silver
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

"Seller listed on behalf of his in laws who are moving to FL and only put a price of what their mechanic offered them for it, there is plenty of room in the purchase price to do repairs, or even a full resto, and be into the car for under current market value"

If the mechanic offered the same price why was it not accepted would be my first question.

The following users liked this post:
L78 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:19 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
I build Protours

6 figure Protour cars aren't built with tiny 4 piston front brakes a cheap US Mag wheels.

Just sayin
This is more then an old car with tubular control arms, a 4 link, and an LS swap. This is a full chassis pro touring built car that was also fully and completely restored, every body panel replaced from the roof to the floor. Brakes work great, this thing is not 1000 HP, they do just fine for the application. Forged wheels are being built, these ones will do for now thank you for the comment though
Old 05-22-2022, 11:21 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63silver
"Seller listed on behalf of his in laws who are moving to FL and only put a price of what their mechanic offered them for it, there is plenty of room in the purchase price to do repairs, or even a full resto, and be into the car for under current market value"

If the mechanic offered the same price why was it not accepted would be my first question.
As you probably know if you have sold any vehicle, loads of guys make offers, loads less actually follow through and make the payment
Old 05-22-2022, 11:34 AM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
An absolute, unbelievable screaming deal on a NOM SB modified 66 based on those couple of pictures is in the low high 20s to low $30s provided it moves under its own power, IMO. There’s nothing to suggest it was ever a BB car and convertibles are bringing less than coupes. Unfortunately in that price range it could also be a scam. At that price level the sum of the parts for parting out or resell as a restrorod body if the frame is toast would probably allow breaking even. More $ than that, and your lack of detail knowledge on these cars just screams for taking a knowledgeable C2 owner over for a closer examination of the car before buying.
Hey, you are welcome to come with! In the end there is a big difference in what I hold value in and what purists hold value in. If I like the car and how it looks, I could care less if the wheels are not original. I am the black sheep of this group, my belief is that every vehicle that ever rolled off the production line, any make model or year, could be improved in both aesthetics and performance. I think the factory wheels are ugly. I think the factory side pipes are boring. I know you guys hate me for it, but that's my taste. I love the look of the side pipes, much more aggressive then factory without being too over the top, and the hood looks perfect on the car compared to the un-inspiring 327 '66 hood. All personal opinions. And to be honest, It would be nothing to bring the car back to it's original appearance if that's what I wanted. We are talking about very small things in the grand scheme
Old 05-22-2022, 12:02 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

I like day to cars. Stinger hood etc. Don't like body mods.

Just bustin your chops for fun here.

Good luck with the deal.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:44 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Judging only by the 2 pics posted, that's a car many of us would gladly park in our garage.

Still trying to understand:

Seller had 100+ messages in 32 minutes after posting the ad. Presumably by now it's had several hundred.

You had a discussion, by phone or by text or by whatever, and because you didn't ask a lot of questions, the car somehow is on hold for you.

You're going Monday night to look at it, and it seems from the last line in post #15 you have made a deposit on it. You have not seen the car in person yet.

Also in post #15, you say " My dad is.. let's say.. prone to scams. He doesn't see them coming, where I can see it from a mile away.". One of the most common scams with these cars is putting up an underpriced car ad and taking deposits from various people. I'm surprised you're not concerned about that.

It also seems strange to me that out of those hundreds of replies to the ad, nobody is saying they will give $5,000 or $10,000 OVER the asking price, and acting immediately? If it's that great a deal, I'd get my hands on some cash and be at his doorstep as fast as 10 mph over the limit would get me there. As you say, "loads of guys make offers, loads less actually follow through and make the payment". If I were the seller, I'd say the first one to ring the bell with a bag of green paper gets the car. You really think the guy will just sit on it till Monday night? And if you decide it's NOT worth what they ask, and walk, he's wasted all those chances?

There's some BS involved here somewhere, I'm just not sure where it's coming from.

66Vett (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 01:38 PM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Judging only by the 2 pics posted, that's a car many of us would gladly park in our garage.

Still trying to understand:

Seller had 100+ messages in 32 minutes after posting the ad. Presumably by now it's had several hundred.

You had a discussion, by phone or by text or by whatever, and because you didn't ask a lot of questions, the car somehow is on hold for you.

You're going Monday night to look at it, and it seems from the last line in post #15 you have made a deposit on it. You have not seen the car in person yet.

Also in post #15, you say " My dad is.. let's say.. prone to scams. He doesn't see them coming, where I can see it from a mile away.". One of the most common scams with these cars is putting up an underpriced car ad and taking deposits from various people. I'm surprised you're not concerned about that.

It also seems strange to me that out of those hundreds of replies to the ad, nobody is saying they will give $5,000 or $10,000 OVER the asking price, and acting immediately? If it's that great a deal, I'd get my hands on some cash and be at his doorstep as fast as 10 mph over the limit would get me there. As you say, "loads of guys make offers, loads less actually follow through and make the payment". If I were the seller, I'd say the first one to ring the bell with a bag of green paper gets the car. You really think the guy will just sit on it till Monday night? And if you decide it's NOT worth what they ask, and walk, he's wasted all those chances?

There's some BS involved here somewhere, I'm just not sure where it's coming from.
I understand all of your questions really. We had a great conversation on the phone where I related to him, told him about my other vehicles, found out we have some things in common. As soon as I got off the phone I went to check the ad again and he deleted it for me. Believe it or not some people still value manners and friendly nature. I did pay a little over asking to lock it in, and both of us are busy this weekend otherwise I would have been there asap. The deposit is an insignificant amount, not too worried about it really. I know there are a lot of doubts but I look forward to making a full "New C2 owner" post, with tons of pics and info. For now, I have a handful of photos and an agreement with the seller to meet tomorrow at 5
Old 05-22-2022, 02:31 PM
435er
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

One way ticket to oblivion...........
Old 05-22-2022, 02:48 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Well strange things do happen, and if legit you'll have a lot of thumbs up as you drive it.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:54 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 626 Likes on 366 Posts

A car is a car, dont fall in love with pieces of steel, fiberglass, & rubber. Steel rusts, fiberglass cracks, and rubber deteriorates, and very quickly you can find.yourself needing birdcage repair, which will require a new paint job, or a rotted frame repaired, top seals or any of the other countless things we see all the time from new people that fell in love & impulse bought a car.

Very quickly you can easily need another $30k in repairs to make the car roadworthy. Thats why we say, hire a professional to inspect the car. Even if you do decide you are buying it, let them know that the purchase is pending inspection, just to insure your frame & birdcage are solid.

I know whenever i sell anything, i always say things like, "I've got 4 guys lined up to see it this week, and you're first, so whoever comes up with the money first gets the car" even though it's complete bullshit, everyone reacts just like you're reacting. It's in the 101 level class of used car salesmanship techniques... scammers use it too.

This could be a completely legit car, could be a total scam, you just don't know & I'm also one that loves non original motor, hot rod cars. All I'm saying is, those birdcage & frame issues need 100% confirmation they are in excellent shape, or you for sure will have way more money into this car than you should, and when people are rushing you to decide, it very well could be because they dont want you for figure out what they are trying to hide.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:48 PM
mriley1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
A car is a car, dont fall in love with pieces of steel, fiberglass, & rubber. Steel rusts, fiberglass cracks, and rubber deteriorates, and very quickly you can find.yourself needing birdcage repair, which will require a new paint job, or a rotted frame repaired, top seals or any of the other countless things we see all the time from new people that fell in love & impulse bought a car.

Very quickly you can easily need another $30k in repairs to make the car roadworthy. Thats why we say, hire a professional to inspect the car. Even if you do decide you are buying it, let them know that the purchase is pending inspection, just to insure your frame & birdcage are solid.

I know whenever i sell anything, i always say things like, "I've got 4 guys lined up to see it this week, and you're first, so whoever comes up with the money first gets the car" even though it's complete bullshit, everyone reacts just like you're reacting. It's in the 101 level class of used car salesmanship techniques... scammers use it too.

This could be a completely legit car, could be a total scam, you just don't know & I'm also one that loves non original motor, hot rod cars. All I'm saying is, those birdcage & frame issues need 100% confirmation they are in excellent shape, or you for sure will have way more money into this car than you should, and when people are rushing you to decide, it very well could be because they dont want you for figure out what they are trying to hide.
You are exactly right! I always have the mentality of "It's just a car". I would sell any of my cars in 2 seconds if I needed to, I like them but there are other things in life that are more important. I would love to take the body off and do a frame/suspension restoration. Call me crazy but I love when the underside of a car is spotless. A body off restoration is likely in my plans that is why I am not so concerned if there is minor rust on the frame. If it is rusted in half, that's a different story Here is a pic of the underside of my Nova. Completely painted the body color. Everything that isn't painted is chromed.

Get notified of new replies

To Help identifying '66 hood

Old 05-22-2022, 05:21 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mriley1
It
Long story short I've got an absolutely screaming, unbelievable deal on this '66, going to pick it up Monday night and it's advertised with a small block 327 not numbers matching. I'm not pestering the seller with a million questions so I'm going to wait till I get there to see if I can identify it as an original big block car. Either way I'm buying it I just like to know what I'm looking at before I get there if possible. In the meantime I've been staring at these photos like crazy trying to see if there's anything I can distinguish before I get there.
Hey Mreily! These guys here are really just trying to help you. Tho some may be a little "curt" in their delivery, their intentions are honorable. MANY posts on this forum reflect bad purchases made by folks who weren't aware of the many concealed landmines C-2's can hide. Your prospective purchase can easily cost you twice the purchase price if you don't put it on a lift, or remove the glovebox, or professionally check the VIN plate & trim tag, or etc, etc, etc....eg: "picking it up at night!"....Yikes!!! So please listen to the words from the wise here...they are very schooled, seasoned, and have seen the lamb's wool fall off the wolves many times.... There are so many ways to get yer *** handed to you in a C2 purchase, especially with the bold buyer attitude you opened with, and honestly, if you knew enough about C-2's to be a solid buyer on an unseen car, you'd have known the answer to your "how many hoods" question. I'm not trying to be an ******* here, just being honest... I truly hope and pray this car is a cherry and you hit the biggest home run ever, but always just remember: Caveat Emptor !!!

Last edited by petdoc; 05-22-2022 at 05:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by petdoc:
jim lockwood (05-22-2022), ptjsk (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 05:44 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mriley1
Why not have both? Impulse to jump on a deal, knowledge to know whether it's a smart purchase upon inspection. Seems like a good plan to me
Knowlege
"Could the hood on this car be orginal to this car?"
"Is there a general number that having a orginal Big Block car
adds to the value?"
Impulse
Buying a car unseen or inspected.
Good luck
Old 05-22-2022, 05:59 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Most of the guys here have seen this several times, but I'll post it again in hopes somebody - OP or otherwise - will benefit. A few years back I wanted a '64 project car. I specifically wanted something rough for the education of doing things. I found one on the thread on this forum, it was in Iowa and I'm in western NY. Seller was very upfront about it needing a new frame. Long story short between my wife and a forum member I was talked into going out there to look. Seller was right, frame was bad, but the bird cage was good, I wrangled a further price reduction and bought it.

So when I removed the body and towed the chassis out from under, you can see the results below. A bad frame like that is easy to see - but there are many other pitfalls that can be hiding. Now imagine if somebody didn't know and the seller had been crooked, and wound up with this. Or worse yet, suppose they had tried to drive it!

As Petdoc says, there have been others on here who have paid way more money, and have discovered mechanical problems, body problems which Bubba fixed years ago, and title/VIN issues. Sounds like you have a price low enough to allow for problems, as I did, but don't let something ruin it for you.

petdoc (05-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Help identifying '66 hood