C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Looking for advice on my first C1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 11:49 AM
C2search
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Looking for advice on my first C1

I just picked up my first C1 (1962). I’ve had a couple of C2s, currently a 65 roadster.
The 62 is NOM with a 69 350, 4 speed.
I’d like to make the car more driveable while staying within a budget (i.e. not replacing the chassis). I just want to have an acceptable driver.
The car appears to have the original steering and suspension, although the PO was going for a gasser look and the car sits a bit high. I’m not sure yet how it was raised.
The car does not steer / handle very well. I realize the C1 steering and front suspension technology is old school and wonder what options would give me the best bang for my buck?

The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 12:18 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,126 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by C2search
I just picked up my first C1 (1962). I’ve had a couple of C2s, currently a 65 roadster.
I’d like to make the car more driveable while staying within a budget (i.e. not replacing the chassis). I just want to have an acceptable driver.
The car appears to have the original steering and suspension, although the PO was going for a gasser look and the car sits a bit high. I’m not sure yet how it was raised.
The car does not steer / handle very well. I realize the C1 steering and front suspension technology is old school and wonder what options would give me the best bang for my buck?

Congratulations on your newest acquisition. I see you have a lift. Some nice, detailed pictures of the front suspension will help identify what has been done to the front end.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:30 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,313 Likes on 490 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

A new C1 rides, handles, and stops like a brick compared to anything contemporary. It's what makes them what they are. That said I have yet to see a C1 that didn't need some front end parts, not that the owner didn't want it fixed but couldn't find anyone who knew how (or would admit they knew) how to fix them. The #1 best thing I ever did to mine to make it lightyears more enjoyable to drive was to add electric power steering.
64luke (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 12:35 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Congratulations on your newest acquisition. I see you have a lift. Some nice, detailed pictures of the front suspension will help identify what has been done to the front end.
Thanks. I’ll post some detailed pictures in a couple of hours.
min the meantime, here’s a short video the PO took. Please excuse the filthy undercarriage. This will be addressed!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (16.77 MB, 56 views)
Old 05-13-2022, 12:54 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by JF in MI
A new C1 rides, handles, and stops like a brick compared to anything contemporary. It's what makes them what they are. That said I have yet to see a C1 that didn't need some front end parts, not that the owner didn't want it fixed but couldn't find anyone who knew how (or would admit they knew) how to fix them. The #1 best thing I ever did to mine to make it lightyears more enjoyable to drive was to add electric power steering.

😂😅
Did you go with a Steeroids setup?
Old 05-13-2022, 01:01 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

😂😅
Did you go with a Steeroids setup?
I went with a system like the EPAS power steering kit however I made up my own kit out of scrounged parts. Here is the link to that post.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Old 05-13-2022, 01:31 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default C1

Those cars were driving everywhere as commuter cars when new. Put a good (not cheap) set of radials on it and see how it drives. Fix any existing suspension issues. I
Old 05-13-2022, 02:33 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The best things you can do to improve handlings are complete front end rebuild with Moog rubber components, keeping the entire front end greased regularly, don’t overlook the 3rd arm as there can be a lot of play there, radial tires, at least two shims per side between the frame so you can get more alignment adjustment, (you will definitely need this for the power steering) alignment, electric power steering.
This is all you can do without replacing the entire front suspension which is VERY expensive. I would also suggest replacing the steering wheel with a 15” and adding the factory type quick steering adapter AFTER you add the power steering as it gives you more entry/exist room and driving comfort especially during spirited driving.

Last edited by 68hemi; 05-13-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:46 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Here are some photos.
The car has BF Goodrich Silvertown Radials -
P225 70R15 on front and P255 70R15 on rear.

carl3989 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:53 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default C1

How old are the tires?
Old 05-13-2022, 03:03 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by boyan
how old are the tires?
Old 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Moog rubber components????
Other than some grease seals, there is no rubber in the front end.

You will want to have competent alignment shop check play in the kingpins, and on the upper and lower inner control arm shafts and bushings. Thats where Moog steel bushings and cross shafts come in, if you c an find original Moog parts, if they are sloppy and need replacing. Upper and lower out shafts/bushings are also important, but don't create as much OMG steering issues if they are worn.

My '61 used to swap lanes unexpectedly until i rebuilt the front end three decades ago. Now, it steers and handles pretty nicely.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 05-13-2022 at 05:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AZDoug:
C2search (05-13-2022), carl3989 (05-14-2022), Rosco 1962 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

It would help if you could quantify what this means. Does it wander when going down the road? Is there a lot of slop in the steering? Is the steering effort greater than what you expected? Are you trying to corner at the limits of tire adhesion??????

The key thing to know is that if everything in the front suspension is in good condition, a C1 tracks well, has relatively easy steering, and has no particular vices.

I've driven two C1 Vettes from the right coast to the left coast without issue. I'd do it again in a heartbeat as long as the steering and suspension was in good shape.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 PM
iamq
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like it hasn't been greased in years.... owners manual says every 1000 miles... check the play on the tie rods....
64luke (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:48 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Moog rubber components????
Other than some grease seals, there is no rubber in the front end.

You will want to have competent alignment shop check play in the kingpins, and on the upper and lower control shafts and bushings. Thats where Moog steel bushings and cross shafts come in, if you c an find original Moog parts, if they are sloppy and need replacing. Upper and lower out shafts/bushings are also important, but don't create as much OMG steering issues if they are worn.

My '61 used to swap lanes unexpectedly until i rebuilt the front end three decades ago. Now, it steers and handles pretty nicely.

Doug
Your right about the Moog rubber parts. Having recently had both a C1 and midyears I often get mixed up.
Rosco 1962 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:48 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
It would help if you could quantify what this means. Does it wander when going down the road? Is there a lot of slop in the steering? Is the steering effort greater than what you expected? Are you trying to corner at the limits of tire adhesion??????

The key thing to know is that if everything in the front suspension is in good condition, a C1 tracks well, has relatively easy steering, and has no particular vices.

I've driven two C1 Vettes from the right coast to the left coast without issue. I'd do it again in a heartbeat as long as the steering and suspension was in good shape.
As AZDoug said “swap lanes unexpectedly”.

As I’m heading straight down the road the steering almost seems to “knuckle” from side to side.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:51 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

>I've driven two C1 Vettes from the right coast to the left coast without issue. <

You're a better man than me. My *** can only handle C1 seats for about 2 hrs max at one time.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on my first C1

Old 05-13-2022, 03:53 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by iamq
Looks like it hasn't been greased in years.... owners manual says every 1000 miles... check the play on the tie rods....

VERY possible about the grease. I didn’t receive any service records with the car so unsure of the maintenance (or lack thereof).
carl3989 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:55 PM
C2search
Instructor

Originally Posted by JF in MI
>I've driven two C1 Vettes from the right coast to the left coast without issue. <

You're a better man than me. My *** can only handle C1 seats for about 2 hrs max at one time.
I’m assuming the front end is worn. If rebuilt and greased properly can I expect a driveable car or are there other mods required?
We don’t do any aggressive driving. This is a car we would like to feel confident in driving around town or on highway.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:07 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

I’m assuming the front end is worn. If rebuilt and greased properly can I expect a driveable car or are there other mods required?
We don’t do any aggressive driving. This is a car we would like to feel confident in driving around town or on highway.
If everything is tight and the steering box bearings are OK there should be no issue with going down the road straight particularly with radials. Radials will generally make a big improvement over the bias ply tires they originally came with because the sidewalls tend to absorb bumps a bit better and they sit "flatter" putting more rubber on the road and don't "dart" when crossing a seam in the pavement. They do, however (IMO) increase the steering effort a bit. I only have one shim in the suspension assembly (was going to put 2 in but decided it was to much of a PIA with the car fully assembled) and it tracks fine.
carl3989 (05-14-2022)

Quick Reply: [C1] Looking for advice on my first C1