C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

my quest for a 1962

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 01:56 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Default my quest for a 1962

As you guys have heard I am trying to aquire a 1962 vette to build with a big block and tube frame.I have found the perfect car with a rusted frame and has been sitting out side under covers forever and it needs every thing,I mean every thing is rusted or rotted inside and out,NOM & trans.And I have been back and fourth with the owner and last we spoke we had settled on a price of 12,000.00 to whitch I fealt was fair and was willing to pay but we have not been able to get together to finalize the deal because of his schedule and his wishey washeyness of the total deal,( he realey dosent need or want the money, he want's to keep his car but understands each year it gets worse and worse.

Any ways I just left a customers home who I was giving a price to to add heat to his garage.in the corner was a dirty uncovered 1961 vette with stuff pilled all over it that he has had for at least 15 years and has not run in at least three years.it also has a nom and looks like it was poorley restored 20 years ago But it is a complete car that I could get running and drive NOW.The fellow has a porshe and a ferrari PLAY TOYS (along with a drive way full of his kids cars and his wifes car and his naneys car )Needless to say I exspained what I was looking for and what I wanted to do with it and we discussed a purchase of the car and he said if he was to sell it he would want at least 22,000 for it and he is going to purchase a hemming to see if he can see if that price is fair or not.I exspained hemmings is for perfect cars and the proper way is to find a NCRS award winners current price and work backwards from there subtracting from the price what it would cost to make it that way. When he finished with that he would see the car has a lesser value then 22,000.00 but I can say that the going price of what he has would be in the 20,000.00 to 25,000.00 range. and if we cant make a deal I would show him how and where to advertize his car to sell it.He then exspained if we dont make a deal he would only let it go to a dealer so he does not have to deal with strangers coming to his house and then having the liability if they cant start the car or if it has problems for 22,000.00 its not worth the agrevation and thats the real reason he has never looked into selling the car

His wife came in as we were discussing the car and agrees that he should get rid of the car and use the open bay to get her a sports car or an old cadillac convertable like her dads old car . He exspained he would have more cars if not for the problem of storing them.Anyways he and his wife are coming to my house tomorow afternoon to look at my 4 post storage lift (he had heard of them but was afraid they were unsafe in a house with kids) and to look at my 67 deville convertable And maybee we would make a swap.I hope I never sell or swap the deville because it is just a great car to drive but I did say we would go for a ride in it if the roads are dry.

I guess I am just sharing this with you guys because I know you understand these things,And I think I am going to purchase this guys 61 instead of the 62.I could actually drive this car until I have completed the drive train on the tupe suspention.
Its so cool how deals come together,the guy also said get my caddy cleaned out because its going to a new home tomorrow.Little does he know my wife and kids enjoy the car more then me
Old 12-31-2002, 02:11 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (Ih2lose)

IMHO, 22K seems WAY too high for what you are describing. For a few thousand more, I think you can get a LOT more for your money. The car in my sig I paid 25.3 for as it sets. My freind just bought a very nice 59 needing restoration for 16, and watched a 57 go on ebay the other day for 16.6.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:26 PM
Mel Foye
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I recall there was to be a new frame, all different suspension, brakes, wiring, all new engine and drive train, cooling etc.etc. Sounds like you just need a body shell and interior.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:52 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (Mel Foye)

Be careful with the '62 that needed everything. It could be that, for your purposes, the car is worth less than even $0. Those nickles and dimes really add up, and the stainless and chrome trim, windshield frame, door posts, bumpers, guages, steering wheel, interior, etc really add up!

I'm not saying it's not the perfect car for you, maybe it is. But be sure you've done the arithmetic! :yesnod:

- Mike Greene
Old 12-31-2002, 02:55 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Larry,
I would just keep looking until you found a basket case with a rusted frame.
You would spending a lot of money to get parts that you would be getting rid of anyway! If you have your heart set on a late model retro-fit C1 then you probably will not be happy with a solid axle suspension! I love my 60,and really like to drive it around town, but can't wait until I finish the 59 with the C4 running gear! It will be nice to have a car that has all the style of a C1 and all the comfort and reliability of a new car, and I will be driving the snot out of it.
:seeya

[Modified by John McGraw, 1:56 PM 12/31/2002]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:03 AM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Ih2lose, I haven't been playing on this board for several months and today I hit 2 of your posts. Anyhow, I thought I'd mention a car to you that might fill your purpose. There's a 62 body in a Corvette shop here that's been stripped to bare glass and stored inside for a lot of years. It has some very minor damage, (under the grill if I remember), but he's got an original panel for full replacement back to the bonding seam that goes with it. The body is otherwise REAL nice. He stuck it on E Bay a while back with a 10K reserve and it didn't get there, seems like it stalled in the 8's. There's no frame/drivetrain, etc, and I can't remember if there's much of anything there besides the complete body itself, including doors, hood, decklid, trunk, etc. I'm sure he'll take considerably less than the former reserve. If it interests you, hit me with an E mail and I'll hook y'all up.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (Mel Foye)

As I recall there was to be a new frame, all different suspension, brakes, wiring, all new engine and drive train, cooling etc.etc. Sounds like you just need a body shell and interior.
Mel you are correct But I wanted to start with a complete car and then go from there I dont care if every thing is shot but as long as it is all together.

In the earley eighties I purchased a disasembeled in boxes and some boxes missing 1969 mustang 428 SCJ and it was a disaster to figure out what I was missing and what went were.I will never purchase a car like that again.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Well the 1961 is out of the picture,His neighbor who is a " corvette exspert" is going to purchase the car from them come spring time.And they do want my cadillac we could not go out for a ride in it because it was raining but they do want it,( I exsplained its not for sale,he made an offer and this guys pretends he is dumb but his offer was what I would sell it for and is 2000.00 high for the car. His excact words were I am going to give you 3 more then is correct price because of the stereo)

I am sticking with the 1962 I have been chasing for so long.Its just the perfect car for the project I am trying to do.And I also feel it has a less then what I am paying value but when I see the project cars prices much higher then what I am paying I think I am getting a deal.But then I find out that its just the listed price not what the sell for.Point in fact is the ebay car described above I was watching the auction on that one.I belive the fender was hit and had a used replacement front 1/4 any ways the buy it now was at 10,000.00 and it had no interiour and drive train or glass so I figured I figured I was getting an entire car for 2,000.00 more and just assumed because the buy it now was ten that the car would sell there.I stopped watching the auction.

I must stick with the original 1962 car I want and just get the guy to sell it to me.

[Modified by Ih2lose, 8:22 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 08:18 PM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,572 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Mel you are correct But I wanted to start with a complete car and then go from there I dont care if every thing is shot but as long as it is all together.

In the earley eighties I purchased a disasembeled in boxes and some boxes missing 1969 mustang 428 SCJ and it was a disaster to figure out what I was missing and what went were.I will never purchase a car like that again.
It sure makes the job a lot easier if you start with a whole car, as you know what you have and most importantly where it went..:) But it sure is "fun" and rewarding to bring a basket case back to life. I understand the frustration, as I'm right in the middle of that now (non vette project). To me the biggest benefit of the basket case is that a lot of the work has already been done (disassembly) for you..:)
Old 01-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (58Mike)

I'm not saying it's not the perfect car for you, maybe it is. But be sure you've done the arithmetic! :yesnod:

- Mike Greene
Mike I have done the arithmatic and even If I get the car for free I dont think I would be able to sell it for what it would cost to build it because I am going custom with it.
I am sure you guys all know the feeling of wanting something no matter what.This is what I have with this car.I am constantley day dreaming of it.I cut pictures out of magazines when I see something I want for the 62.I have a folder all ready with the advice and information you guys have all ready given me.I am going to order a set of new tires and rims for my C5 so I can put the C5 tires on the 62
Old 01-02-2003, 04:21 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Then it sounds like this would be a great car for you. As an added plus, frame conversion C1s if done well can easily sell for more than $50k and even over $100k.

Now, on to the more important topic: are you planning on yellow? :D

- Mike Greene
Old 01-02-2003, 05:44 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Larry,

Good luck with the negotiations on the 62. I had several go-arounds with the fellow we bought our 62 from but finally got the deal done. Sometimes, when you aren't seriously looking for something, it seems that these things turn up so you might find something else to look at as well. I like finding a car in poor shape and minus the drivetrain but with most of the other parts there even if they need restoration. Putting something together bolt by bolt can nickle and dime you to death. Good luck with the search.

Rich Lagasse
Old 01-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (58Mike)

Then it sounds like this would be a great car for you. As an added plus, frame conversion C1s if done well can easily sell for more than $50k and even over $100k.

Now, on to the more important topic: are you planning on yellow? :D

- Mike Greene
The wife wants mil yellow to match the C5,I have definatley decided on electron blue with the white diamond for the coves from the caddilac colors.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (richscorvettes)

Larry,

Good luck with the negotiations on the 62. I had several go-arounds with the fellow we bought our 62 from but finally got the deal done. Sometimes, when you aren't seriously looking for something, it seems that these things turn up so you might find something else to look at as well. I like finding a car in poor shape and minus the drivetrain but with most of the other parts there even if they need restoration. Putting something together bolt by bolt can nickle and dime you to death. Good luck with the search.

Rich Lagasse
I realley have to go back at this guy with a lower price and a walk away additude.I want to save the car from a cruel death and feel I am paying top dollar for the car. I am going to step up the pace with him if its a deal its a deal.

Thanks for the input I will be contacting every one when I get it. I even plowed his driveway out on christmas day and left a note in his mail box to call me

thanks again every one
Old 01-02-2003, 11:59 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Believe it or not, Terry michaelis of Pro-Team in Ohio had a very nice 62 fawn beige 340hp car that was very complete, ran good but was totally worn out and had a RUSTY FRAME. He did not want that much for the car.

I will start searching the west coast. How much can you spend? There was a very nice body only at carlisle last year for $8000.
Good Luck,
Jim
Old 01-03-2003, 02:19 AM
wallyknoch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Red 62 on E bay located in Canada would be a perfect project car for a 427 and turbo. Those cars that are all apart cost tons of money just the replacing missing parts let alone rusted pieces. Good luck in your hunt, but the more complete the better. :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 01-03-2003, 09:32 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Ih2lose:

I am looking for another project too, so if you locate any "extra" cars that you cannot use, let me know. Actually any C1 that is more or less complete would be acceptable. I just missed a '60 down in Florida because the guy's answering machine was on the fritz and someone emailed me about a complete '61 for sale in California for 22K, but that is way too far for me to go. If anyone knows of a "project" car for sale (preferrably in the southeast) let me know.

Charles

[Modified by cbernhardt, 9:34 PM 1/3/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To my quest for a 1962

Old 01-03-2003, 09:40 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (cbernhardt)

Charles, If California is too far I will be happy to go and pick up the 61.Where do I find it?
Jim
Old 01-03-2003, 10:00 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (jimgessner)

Jim:

I placed a Wanted to Buy ad on another forum and this was the reply I received:

"Charles, I have a 61 Vette that I'm selling in order to build my shop. It's white with red coves, has 67, 327 with 4 speed. Missing correct air cleaner, steering wheel, and shifter. Car is titled in California.
Price $22,000. I haven't advertised it yet but I need to start down that road soon. Let me know if you are interested. "

I assumed that the car was located in CA due to the title reference. I have emailed the guy asking for the actual location of the car and if it turns out to be in CA, I will let you know. All I have at this point is an email address.

Charles
Old 01-03-2003, 10:13 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default Re: my quest for a 1962 (cbernhardt)

Thanks Charlie, i will patiently wait.
Jim

Quick Reply: my quest for a 1962