C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Drivers side under dash duct fitment for Vintage Air on my 63??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 11:19 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

Default Drivers side under dash duct fitment for Vintage Air on my 63??

I am trying to fit the under dash duct for a Vintage Air System on the driver's side
At first pass I am trying to locate it in the Vintage Air standard position
Here is where they say to put it

However when I hold it up in position, it appears that the right side inlet will hit the parking brake handle
In addition, it also seems like it will hit the trip odometer reset cable ****

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2022, 11:46 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

My VA came very close to the PB handle to the point where I had to give it a lot of attention. But, in the end all is good. I do not have an issue with the trip meter cable.
However, I added an AC hood release bracket ( which is longer and is moved over a little ) and relocated the headlight switch. ( now it is gone because I went with Detroit Speed headlight motors) I felt that the headlight switch interfered with the airflow on that side. I also relocated the curtesy light socket.
All this works good. But, it is a real pita when you have to do work under the dash as there is a lot more to remove to see anything. Hopefully you will not have to go back in there.
BTW, I have a 65 coupe. I would think it is very similar. You will love the VA. It is a nice upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
gleninsandiego (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:34 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

I just got this reply from Vintage Air

Glenn,

For the parking brake lever it will be very close, you would drop the brake handle then install the plenum, it may be tight to remount the handle but with the louver in place the brake handle should just barely fit.
For the ODO trip you will need to remove this while installing the plenum then you may need to reposition it in a better accessed area.
Pretty much anything on Corvettes is tight and congested, as I'm sure you know so with some patience and willing to modify for the best fitment it should all go together.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:37 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Here are the inside ducts. For some reason Vintage Air supplies the upper left duct for the driver's side. I was advised by a Corvette Forum member that the lower left duct which is for a factory air car fits much better if you also buy a factory air hood release bracket.

The last step is to make a bracket to hold the hood release. Not a small job either.
I decided to install a 67 hood release instead, much easier.

https://63c2verte.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-27-2022 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gleninsandiego (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 01:20 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Super helpful
After messing around with it last night it does appear that the vintage air supplied duct does not want to fit in my car
without an offset bracket. So I ordered bracket making material
It also appears the original hood release position to the far left for non a/c cars is the better placement
so I pulled out my old bracket for that
Finally, as a plan b back up, I ordered a single ball nozzle from Vintage Air and some extra ducting if I ultimately
need to go in that direction

Now we wait....

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side under dash duct fitment for Vintage Air on my 63??

Quick Reply: [C2] Drivers side under dash duct fitment for Vintage Air on my 63??