C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 stinger hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 05:30 PM
mikey'sdad
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1967 stinger hood

Who makes the nicest quality fitting stinger hood? I am looking to add one to my 67.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:33 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

OEM if you can find one.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:39 PM
mikey'sdad
Instructor

I would prefer oem, but just trying to see what everyone’s oppinions are of the aftermarket ones in case I have to go that route.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:56 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

OEM are out there, but are not cheap.

For a reproduction/replacement I would highly recommend Lee Bumb Composites in Evansville, Indiana. Don't even consider another source.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
Gavin65 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:27 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 904 Likes on 595 Posts

My ‘66 BB hood from Bumb is great. Expect same quality for ‘67.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:23 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have 2 cars with 67 stinger hoods. One is a Lee Bumb and the other is a Corvette Image. They both fit very well and both needed almost no work to make perfect. I have bought a lot of fiberglass from both of these vendors for years, and they are both quality vendors.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,032 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey'sdad
Who makes the nicest quality fitting stinger hood? I am looking to add one to my 67.
I would think twice before putting a stinger hood on your 67. I have owned both and the view from the driver's perspective is very different for each. If you haven't already done it, spend some time in a big block car and see it for yourself. You may love it. Personally, I would only use a stinger if it was needed for engine clearance.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 PM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by polo91
I would think twice before putting a stinger hood on your 67. I have owned both and the view from the driver's perspective is very different for each. If you haven't already done it, spend some time in a big block car and see it for yourself. You may love it. Personally, I would only use a stinger if it was needed for engine clearance.
OTOH - I LOVE the view - mine is from the same place but it was Sermersheim's (prior to Jim passing away).
But I also love my olds with W-25 OAI hood
Old 01-19-2022, 07:13 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have 2 cars with 67 stinger hoods. One is a Lee Bumb and the other is a Corvette Image. They both fit very well and both needed almost no work to make perfect. I have bought a lot of fiberglass from both of these vendors for years, and they are both quality vendors.

Regards, John McGraw
John:

My friend used Corvette Image for a front cap on his 1969 about 10 years back. Now both front fenders are showing small bubbles. Original rear fiberglass has no issues. Same paint and painter.

I have heard the CI issues have been resolved, but if paying $20K or more for a paint job, I won't take the chance.

You have been blessed if you have not had issues. But I also know you are very very good (exceptional is probably a better word) at paint and body.

Larry
Old 01-19-2022, 11:48 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
John:

My friend used Corvette Image for a front cap on his 1969 about 10 years back. Now both front fenders are showing small bubbles. Original rear fiberglass has no issues. Same paint and painter.

I have heard the CI issues have been resolved, but if paying $20K or more for a paint job, I won't take the chance.

You have been blessed if you have not had issues. But I also know you are very very good (exceptional is probably a better word) at paint and body.

Larry

Larry,

I too quit using CI fiberglass years ago, but they convinced me that those problems were all in their past, so I started using them again. I started using Semerschiems glass exclusively, but after Jim died, the prices went up under Lee Bumb, and the service was not as good as when Jim was alive. Since I started using CI again, I have had no issues with any of their panels. That blistering issue was over 15 years ago, and I have been buying their panels for right at 10 years with no issues. They both are quality vendors, and I usually decide who to use on a project based on their lead time.

Regards, John McGraw
The following users liked this post:
Powershift (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:39 PM
mikey'sdad
Instructor

Originally Posted by polo91
since the car doesnt have its original engine, the plan is eventually to install a gen 5 lt engine which will need the clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 stinger hood

Quick Reply: 1967 stinger hood