C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 67 headlight motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 05:15 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 67 headlight motor problem

I just bought a 1967 coupe when I went to look at it the drivers headlight worked fine but the passenger headlight started to open then stopped I figured ok I'll look into it when I get it home
Get it home go to try it again and now both headlight won't open
Anyone have any Idea where to start

Hi All,
Just finished installing two rebuilt headlight motors in my 67 and they work great
I replaced the headlight door switch and my drivers side was working took the passenger side apart and found the wire for one of the brushes grounded out on the case and one of the brush tensioner springs was of needless to say I replaced them now I have my original motors in a box was wondering what they are worth if anyone can help I think there dated 12/66
thanks' to everyone who gave suggestions

Last edited by pats67copo; 12-19-2021 at 11:51 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-05-2021, 05:26 PM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 504 Likes on 307 Posts

Hi Pat,

Congratulations on your new 67. Typically there are three places to check in that kind of situation. The rollover switch under the gauge cluster. The wiring itself making sure that you are getting power to the headlight motors. And finally the headlight motors themselves. Much has been written and there are many threads on C2 headlight motors and problems with them and the final repair or solution. I would check all three of those main areas first and isolate it down to one. Then go after that section causing the problem. My guess would be the motors themselves may be gummed up by the white lithium grease hardening and slowing down and now stopping the rotation. That is if they have never been rebuilt.

Check the archive on past threads first and read through those that most closley mimic your issues and go from there. Good Luck with it. C.J.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:27 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

yes, pull them out of the car, clean all the old grease out, inspect the gears, clean the armature and brushes. put fresh grease and put back together
Old 12-05-2021, 05:40 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Originally Posted by C2Scho
Hi Pat,

Congratulations on your new 67. Typically there are three places to check in that kind of situation. The rollover switch under the gauge cluster. The wiring itself making sure that you are getting power to the headlight motors. And finally the headlight motors themselves. Much has been written and there are many threads on C2 headlight motors and problems with them and the final repair or solution. I would check all three of those main areas first and isolate it down to one. Then go after that section causing the problem. My guess would be the motors themselves may be gummed up by the white lithium grease hardening and slowing down and now stopping the rotation. That is if they have never been rebuilt.

Check the archive on past threads first and read through those that most closley mimic your issues and go from there. Good Luck with it. C.J.
Thanks for the reply I will check into that this week
Pat
Old 12-05-2021, 05:42 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
yes, pull them out of the car, clean all the old grease out, inspect the gears, clean the armature and brushes. put fresh grease and put back together
Thanks for the reply I will check that out this week
Old 12-05-2021, 05:57 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,309 Posts

If that doesn't work, rebuild the engine and transmission. How rare would it have to be for the grease to harden at the exact same time in BOTH headlights when they had been working.

The most likely issue for your exact symptoms is the rollover switch under the dash. It has 12v coming to it and sends 12v to either the up or down wire to the headlamps. You can verify if its the problem by disconnecting the plug in the line and shorting the center connector in the wiring to either of the other two connectors. If the lights move or try to move, the switch is not working. All it does is short 12v to the wires depending on which way you move the switch. The switch can be disassembled and cleaned, but you have to be careful not to break the plastic tabs. Google "c2 Corvette headlight rollover switch repair" and you'll come up with pictures and descriptions of how to repair. If you don't have 12v going to that center connector, there is a 30 amp circuit breaker on the driver's side kick panel that could be open, but it's an auto reset so it would have to be bad internally or the wires losing connection to it. There's probably at least a 90% chance when both headlights stop rolling that the problem is in that switch.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 06:11 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Thanks for all that information I will definitely check that out this week
besides the plug for headlight power is there something else that’s supposed to be at the motor like a limiting switch or something
I have two small wires in the area of each motor that aren’t connected to anything
Thanks again
Pat
Old 12-05-2021, 07:32 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by pats67copo
Thanks for all that information I will definitely check that out this week
besides the plug for headlight power is there something else that’s supposed to be at the motor like a limiting switch or something
I have two small wires in the area of each motor that aren’t connected to anything
Thanks again
Pat
Pat,
See if you can take a nice clear picture of those wires and post them up...
Old 12-05-2021, 07:38 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Pat,
See if you can take a nice clear picture of those wires and post them up...
I will try I never have luck with putting pictures up
Old 12-05-2021, 07:55 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

If they are black wires with odd shaped connectors on the end, they are the "tell tale" switches that cause the dash warning to light up to tell you you have the lights on but one or the other didn't fully open. They have no function in the motor operation, but are simply a notification that your buckets did not fully open. If they are disconnected, the headlight rollover will still function normally but no dash warning if they don't. They plug on to a rectangular black switch mounted on the headlight motor ***'y., one switch on each motor, two wires on each switch.
There are no limiting switches, the motors will continue to try to turn for as long as you hold the rollover switch, even after you reach the stop.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:00 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If they are black wires with odd shaped connectors on the end, they are the "tell tale" switches that cause the dash warning to light up to tell you you have the lights on but one or the other didn't fully open. They have no function in the motor operation, but are simply a notification that your buckets did not fully open. If they are disconnected, the headlight rollover will still function normally but no dash warning if they don't. They plug on to a rectangular black switch mounted on the headlight motor ***'y., one switch on each motor, two wires on each switch.
There are no limiting switches, the motors will continue to try to turn for as long as you hold the rollover switch, even after you reach the stop.
I will take a look this week they do have a weird end on them I guess they might be disconnected or maybe the switches are missing
thanks for the help
pat
Old 12-05-2021, 08:06 PM
pats67copo
Pro

I couldn’t wait went to take a look one has a single black wire the other has two gray wires with a black stripe on them
Pat
Old 12-05-2021, 08:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pats67copo
I couldn’t wait went to take a look one has a single black wire the other has two gray wires with a black stripe on them
Pat
That's the ones. The one with two wires feeds to the other side. The switches are in parallel so that if EITHER side doesn't open, the indicator lights up. Again, the have no function in operation and won't cause your issue.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:07 AM
pats67copo
Pro

That's the ones. The one with two wires feeds to the other side. The switches are in parallel so that if EITHER side doesn't open, the indicator lights up. Again, the have no function in operation and won't cause your issue.
My connectors are different but I will check that out this week to see if I'm missing the switches
Thanks
Old 12-06-2021, 05:11 AM
pats67copo
Pro

I appreciate all the responses I received on this matter I will check that out this week some time and post the results
Pat
Old 12-06-2021, 07:01 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Old 12-06-2021, 10:58 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My experience when dismantling, is to work with one motor at a time. Clean of all the grease. Once cleaned I reassembled to test motor. Then open it up and using wheel bearing grease, lightly apply to the bearings and worm drive. There is a thermal switch in there that prevents overheating should the bucket get jammed. I found one of these switches to open when just running the motor during tests. While the motor is removed, turn the headlight bucket by hand. If you sense any drag or the bucket doesn't rotate freely, its time to pull the bucket for an overhaul of those bearings too.

To make life easier remove the grill and the support rods that attach to the lower core support. It takes some doing to pull/replace the buckets. Lots of blue tape and patience. You'll be glad when its done.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 headlight motor problem

Old 12-06-2021, 11:20 AM
pats67copo
Pro

Thanks
Old 12-06-2021, 02:01 PM
L78
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 243 Posts

Are there some good step-by-step details for R&R?

maybe a thread or YouTube videos, etc?

is this in the service manual ( mine has not arrived yet)
Old 12-06-2021, 03:32 PM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 504 Likes on 307 Posts

Several Forum members were kind enough to put together a step by step document on rebuilding C2 headlight motors. Here is one of them put out by Alann J. Boatright.

Have fun with it. C.J.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Headlight_Motor_Rebuild.pdf (864.0 KB, 127 views)
The following users liked this post:
polo91 (12-11-2021)

Quick Reply: [C2] 67 headlight motor problem