C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 tail lamp not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 11:28 AM
joeysc2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 tail lamp not working

John T here. '63 C2 Roadster. Driver's side outboard tail/break light not working. Inboard back up light OK, passenger side OK. Dual purpose outboard bulb seems to be OK. Difficult to reach the assembly from the back to check it out. Appreciate any suggestions about the best method to track down the problem.

Thanks,

JT
Old 11-13-2021, 01:49 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by joeysc2
John T here. '63 C2 Roadster. Driver's side outboard tail/break light not working. Inboard back up light OK, passenger side OK. Dual purpose outboard bulb seems to be OK. Difficult to reach the assembly from the back to check it out. Appreciate any suggestions about the best method to track down the problem.

Thanks,

JT
Have you tried a new bulb? You can swap the known good one from the passenger side to see if it may be that simple. If not, Jack will be along and get you all fixed up.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:21 PM
maroon67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After checking the bulb as suggested above, check and clean all electrical contact points.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:09 PM
joeysc2
Advanced

Leif. Yes, tried the bulb that works on the passenger side, won't work on the drivers side.

Thanks for responding.

J.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:11 PM
joeysc2
Advanced

Thanks for this suggestion too. Yep, always do that when I work on electrical stuff.

Appreciate the response though...

J.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:21 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

Does it light up at any time? Specifically, does it light up when you operate the turn signal lever to indicate a left turn? If the light works as a signal light, but not as a brake or running light, that indicates the problem is within the turn signal switch. If the light never lights up, the problem is likely more general.

Next test is to determine whether the problem is on the ground or power side. Using a multimeter, is there continuity between the negative contact in the bulb housing an a ground on the car? If so, the housing's ground is good, if not, you know this is the problem. Is there power to the positive contact in the housing when a helper depresses the brake pedal or turns on the lights?

Between these tests, you should be able to identify and fix the fault.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:34 PM
joeysc2
Advanced

Great advice. Would not have thought of the turn signal test. Yes, the turn signal switch works the light. Does this indicate a problem with the turn signal switch? If so, why?

Thanks,

John T

PS: The tail light function works too - only the brake light is not functioning.

Last edited by joeysc2; 11-13-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: My response was incomplete - sorry
Old 11-13-2021, 07:59 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

If only the driver's side brake light is not working and all else are, the problem is at this contact in the turn signal switch. (sometimes moving the turn signal lever left center right, repeat a few times will clean the contact and the brake light will work). If the contact is bent so it is not touching at the arrow, that will not correct it.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:36 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

I think we've found the problem.

As for the "why?", if you think about it, the turn signal switch has to control the brake light function because the same bulb filament is used for both functions. When you hit the brakes, the light brightens up, but if you then operate the turn signal, the bulb now flashes. So the turn signal switch has to have a say in whether or not the lamp is on.

The switch is easy to replace, but I think the '63 switch is unique. It can also be repaired, but I have not done that.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:59 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck916
I think we've found the problem.

As for the "why?", if you think about it, the turn signal switch has to control the brake light function because the same bulb filament is used for both functions. When you hit the brakes, the light brightens up, but if you then operate the turn signal, the bulb now flashes. So the turn signal switch has to have a say in whether or not the lamp is on.

The switch is easy to replace, but I think the '63 switch is unique. It can also be repaired, but I have not done that.
I didn't notice it was a 63. Early 63's did not use the same switch I pictured. It's actually mounted on the column and operated by cable, but the contact issue would be the same. The wire from the brake light switch feeds the contacts at the same point. Sometimes a slight adjustment will do it.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:26 AM
joeysc2
Advanced

You guys are freeking awesome! Got the dang thing fixed! No way a shade tree mechanic like me could ever figure that out your solution. Can't tell you how impressed I am with your knowledge about these early Vettes and with your willingness to share your knowledge - and promptly at that. Happy you're not burning, owe you a beer.

John T.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:32 AM
joeysc2
Advanced

65GGvert,
Thanks 65
65GGvert, thanks for the advice and photo. As I mentioned earlier, there's no way I would have figured out your solution on my own. You guys are great!. By the way, we have owned our '63 Roadster for 47 years. It's black, with a black interior and a tan soft top. Equipped with back up lights. Sound familiar?
Thanks again,

John T

Old 11-15-2021, 08:31 AM
kts1962
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

The Brain Trust here is Phenomenal ! And also likes Pictures

Get notified of new replies

To C2 tail lamp not working

Quick Reply: C2 tail lamp not working