C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Another wiper motor that won't quit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 04:30 PM
L36 rag
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Another wiper motor that won't quit

The wipers run constantly on my '67 Coupe....The only way to shut them off to unplug the motor or shut the car off...I searched past threads, discovered this is a fairly common problem and figured GOOD! This will be easy...My wiper arms were off so I installed them...No change...I pulled front cover off, cleaned out old grease and relubed everything with white lithium grease...Same thing...I don't know if this is related or not but my car also has a speed minder that never shuts off...If it's plugged in, it's buzzing...Only way to stop it is unplug it...Are the two related?
Old 09-29-2021, 06:33 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

We had 2 different cars at Carlisle with the same problem, well kind of, one wouldnt start, mine wouldnt shut off ,after catching each other, both were fixed by a tap with a hammer.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:30 AM
L36 rag
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, tapping with a hammer didn't fix it but In trying to diagnose this problem, I discovered that unplugging my power windows from fuse panel shuts off the speed minder buzzer...somehow this is all related...
Old 09-30-2021, 10:21 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Wipers not shutting off is a common malady. It's caused by the grease in the gearbox drying out so that the closing pawls no longer function properly.

The best fix is remove the whole assembly, disassemble, clean and assemble with synthetic grease that should last for about 20 years.

I think some have actually disassembled the gearbox on the car, but watch out, there are a lot of small parts than can fall out.

The R & I procedure is in the CSM and the overhaul procedure is in the COM. Only a fool would attempt this job without those two manuals.

Duke

Old 10-02-2021, 10:36 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 67's
We had 2 different cars at Carlisle with the same problem, well kind of, one wouldnt start, mine wouldnt shut off ,after catching each other, both were fixed by a tap with a hammer.
I was the one that stopped. It was the first time I had that problem and I haven't had a problem since. My understanding is that there is a set of contacts in the motor that stuck. The tap on the motor case unstuck them.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:50 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

turn them on every time you start the car, they eventually start working properly again, Jiggle the wires, to start or stop. wait a cycle for them to shut off.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:34 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Did you remove an arm to see if they would park?
Old 10-03-2021, 02:31 AM
L36 rag
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought the car as a rolling project...It had sat for some time and while it started and drove, it needed some TLC...Head light and power windows motors were slow...radio, horn, wipers and speed minder and multiple dash bulbs were unplugged, constant battery drain, (still working on that too) missing a few odds and ends including wiper arms...I plugged in wiper motor and speed minder and neither would shut off...I read where the wipers may not park without arms installed so I installed wiper arms and tried again...Still wouldn't park...I then removed front cover, cleaned out old grease and lubed up everything with white lithium grease...no dice...tried the hammer tap...same result...While the car has multiple electrical issues, it had a new under hood and dash wiring harness installed when I bought it...The problem is I have zero electrical troubleshooting skills.

Mike
Old 10-03-2021, 06:54 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by OC-1
turn them on every time you start the car, they eventually start working properly again, Jiggle the wires, to start or stop. wait a cycle for them to shut off.
I agree. I had the same problem.

I attribute my issue to the fact I’ve never driven my car in the rain in the 10 years I’ve owned it so the wipers never get exercised. Once I got them working, I’ve been turning them on from time to time so they don’t “freeze” up again.

I’ve never tried this this but have wondered if some mild heat from a heat gun applied to the wiper mechanism might soften up that caked grease enough to free up the mechanism.

Steve
Old 10-03-2021, 12:36 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

I doubt it. Grease is an emulsion of solids suspended in oil. Over time the oil evaporates leaving the solids behind, which aren't worth anything as lubricants without the oil.

Duke
The following users liked this post:
RatDog (10-03-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Another wiper motor that won't quit

Quick Reply: [C2] Another wiper motor that won't quit