C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] K66 ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 08:00 PM
Fwyflier
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K66 ignition coils

I new here but I have been a boat mechanic and car restorer all my life. I just purchased a 1967 427 435hp that was in an estate sale and looked to be sitting around for some time. Someone had replaced the distributor with a points one. I have found and purchased an original distributor, and obviously, the there are repro amps available. However I have been unable to find the coil for this system. There are and assortment of repro. coils out there (not made in USA) that are GM registered products however no 1115263 are left and I have resigned to use a different number as they are all built the same. However my research indicates these are not that reliable and everyone that I have talked to say its a hit and miss thing, as far as longevity. Primary ohm readings for the original coils are 0.41-0.51. Since I can't get the 263 coil I was thinking there might be an alternative available Someone had suggested ProTronix 44011 Flame Thrower III would work as it has a low primary ohm reading. I looked it up and it has a primary ohms of 0.31. Most other canister coils are .070 and above. Has anyone run into this dilemma. Please let me know what everyone has experienced with this issue. Thanks
Old 09-15-2021, 08:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

keep a eye out for NOS 207 coils. that is what GM sold to fit every TI application. stay away from NON GM coils
The following users liked this post:
Dave Strickland (11-23-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 08:45 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Check parts for sale section. "C2 parts for sale" by playswithcars for your coil.

Last edited by DSR; 09-15-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:59 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The greeting is a formality for demanding pictures of your car. It is kinda like a hotrodder's pinup.
I am no help on your search.
Welcome again.
Ron
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

This Summit coil is .45 ohms and works well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850496
Old 09-15-2021, 09:51 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Fwyflier
I new here but I have been a boat mechanic and car restorer all my life. I just purchased a 1967 427 435hp that was in an estate sale and looked to be sitting around for some time. Someone had replaced the distributor with a points one. I have found and purchased an original distributor, and obviously, the there are repro amps available. However I have been unable to find the coil for this system. There are and assortment of repro. coils out there (not made in USA) that are GM registered products however no 1115263 are left and I have resigned to use a different number as they are all built the same. However my research indicates these are not that reliable and everyone that I have talked to say its a hit and miss thing, as far as longevity. Primary ohm readings for the original coils are 0.41-0.51. Since I can't get the 263 coil I was thinking there might be an alternative available Someone had suggested ProTronix 44011 Flame Thrower III would work as it has a low primary ohm reading. I looked it up and it has a primary ohms of 0.31. Most other canister coils are .070 and above. Has anyone run into this dilemma. Please let me know what everyone has experienced with this issue. Thanks
There's a lot more to a coil than just primary resistance. A significant difference between common points coils and the TI coil was the turns ratio. The stock TI board/box has a fragile switching transistor in it, and the high turns ratio was needed to reduce the primary winding flyback voltage to keep from blowing up the switching transistor (I'm told the newer/replacement boards have a more robust transistor in it). I haven't seen too many (if any) aftermarket coils that have the same turns ratio as the stock TI coil, but the coil Factoid mentioned (with a higher than common turns ratio) looks like a promising candidate.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:01 PM
Fwyflier
Navigator

Default Thanks everyone

Keep the info coming. I have found some used 207 coils but prices are crazy for a used (50+ years old) coil $450+. Is there a way to ID a repro from an original. I think the NOS coils should have

As requested, a couple of pics of my new baby! Now she’s on the rack being cleaned and fixing things that happen when sitting for 20-30 years.

stenciled numbers on them but really to sure if that is right. That summit coil looks good while I keep looking for the right one.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:52 AM
TokyoMark
Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fwyflier
Hello. Sorry late to this thread but was wondering if you found a coil? I think I have been having a coil problem with my 1966 L72. I just got the car recently and the spark plugs are lightly fouled after a few miles and the car misses. I chased the carb issue to death and now think the plugs are not getting hot enough to burn the carbon off. I have talked to TI specialties; a Mr. Fiedler who was very helpful and told me if I had a China coil they were highly suspect and told me how to ID them. Mine was and he told me the first think is to change the coil....easier said then done. I just purchased an original TI coil that looks like it is 50+ years old (major $$$) and praying that fixes it.
If it does not, did you ever come up with a coil that will work for your situation? Thanks and you have a beautiful car. Happy Holidays. Mark
Old 11-22-2021, 11:25 AM
Fwyflier
Navigator

Default Non found

After exhausting a search for a replacement coil and trying to find an actual GM coil I found out this. No one make a coil with similar ohm reading. Some are close but non that close to the originals. Basically you can buy one that might work but it also might screw up the TI box. Long story short. No coils are similar and finding an original is possible but extremely expensive. The re-pops r the only thing that I found new. What I read was these new one are a hit and miss. Some people have been running them with no problem and others complain they don’t last long. I figure I can buy 3 re-pops to one vintage coil. It’s kinda like rolling the dice on these. I ended up picking up one from zip and of course no one has the re-pop with the correct numbers so I had to get the wrong numbered one. PS according to everything I read all the ti coils are the same just different numbers on them. C19 screwed up my build so I’m still waiting on some parts in order to get my car back together and try the cool. Good luck with the used one.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:37 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a TI system that belongs to my 66. I'm not going to use it. I'm going to rebuild a stock tach drive dist. and install a pertronex system. I don't trust the TI and parts could be a problem. Just ordered the parts to build the new dist yesterday. The whole TI system will be for sale soon.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aworks
I have a TI system that belongs to my 66. I'm not going to use it. I'm going to rebuild a stock tach drive dist. and install a pertronex system. I don't trust the TI and parts could be a problem. Just ordered the parts to build the new dist yesterday. The whole TI system will be for sale soon.
I will trust TI any day of the week well before the widget
The following 3 users liked this post by Nowhere Man:
65-L78 (11-22-2021), dplotkin (11-22-2021), Factoid (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:52 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,035 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I will trust TI any day of the week well before the widget
I'm often baffled how so many are willing to discount or downright ignore the painstaking engineering and testing efforts that went into things GM did well. K66 is one of those things if its 10+ year tenure is any yardstick. Why then are so many presumably sharp fellas willing to abandon it for a one size fits all epoxy incapsulated integrated circuit(s) that were intended to fire any spark plug anywhere on anything.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
Nowhere Man (11-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 10:26 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Particularly when the weakest element, the old tech power transistor, has a very robust new tech board you can hide in the amp box. The thing becomes almost bullet proof with old wiring and connectors being the biggest problem.

Get notified of new replies

To K66 ignition coils

Quick Reply: [C2] K66 ignition coils