C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Head light motor switch grounding - any damage I should look for

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 02:38 PM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Head light motor switch grounding - any damage I should look for

Last night when trying to open my head lights, nothing moved and the circuit breaker I had installed on the power wire coming off the starter everything would trip (glad I installed it now though the CB on the head light motor switch might have tripped if that one was not there). Disconnected both head light motors and it would still trip when the switch was moved in the open direction (but not in the down direction). Dismounted the switch from the gauge cluster and found one of the flat nut's corners had "welded" itself to the slight bare section of the yellow wire (up lead) going into the switch connection thus I assume grounding the switch. Not sure why this would happen all of a sudden after operating the switch for many years, but it did. Used some of that liquid electrical tape to put a healthy covering over the minute section of bare wire, plugged everything back in and motors open again.

So what I was wondering now was could there be any damage in the electrical system because for circuit grounding? I noticed when it happened the amp gauge pegged all the way negative and the temp gauge pegged way past the highest temp to the right, but both those went back to normal positions once the CB closed and the ignition switched on again. Head light motors work and can't see any blown fuses and other things seem to function correctly, but not sure if something else might be broken now and I just haven't tried it yet.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2021, 09:29 PM
Tooth Doctor
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

It sounds like your circuit breaker worked like it was supposed to and protected the wiring from shorting out. If you didn't see or smell smoke you should be OK. Take a look at your fuses just to be safe. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2021, 02:08 PM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah I didn't see any smoke released from any wires or smell anything. Also no blown fuses at the fuse block, will have to check the others I've added.

Get notified of new replies

To Head light motor switch grounding - any damage I should look for

Quick Reply: Head light motor switch grounding - any damage I should look for