C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacing water bypass hose for 1965 L76

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 12:11 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing water bypass hose for 1965 L76

I had changed the major coolant hoses on the car about a year ago. Had forgotten to order the bypass hose at that time and now wish I had. Anyway there is now a new "pinner" leak from the bypass hose. This is an L76 car with the outside rubber bypass hose. Just wondering how much coolant will spill out once I disconnect the hose from the 90 degree water pump nipple and also the intake nipple. Not a big deal on losing coolant but the car is in temporary storage right now and I can do it over there but don't have access to a garden hose to wash off the coolant. Can bring a jug of water. Seems like a minor job but more of a hassle because where the car is. Was wondering if I take the fill cap of the overflow bottle on the the car to depressurize the system and then squeeze the bypass hose if that would push more of the coolant back inside the engine and water pump and since the fill cap is off with no pressure some of it would just return to the overflow bottle. Since its on the top the car basically hoping when I disconnect the hose I don't get a continual big gush of coolant until its finds equilibrium.

Tux
Old 06-07-2021, 12:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

A good amount will come out Your going to have to drain the radiator.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:50 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Yeah I was thinking this would be the answer. Not a hard job but just another thing on my to do list. I will bring the car over to my house and let it spend the night and cool down and drain it out and replace the bypass on some morning. That hose has lasted over the 20 years that I have owned the car so my mistake on forgetting about that little rubber hose..
Old 06-19-2021, 11:28 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Replaced the bypass hose last weekend. Aluminum drain petcock was frozen shut but luckily the nearby Autozone had a brass one in stock. So other than that it was a quick and easy fix.
Tux
The following 2 users liked this post by tuxedo:
marshal135 (06-20-2021), Redbird (06-19-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing water bypass hose for 1965 L76

Quick Reply: Replacing water bypass hose for 1965 L76