C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Opinions on 65/66 Big Block Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Opinions on 65/66 Big Block Hood

Looking for information/opinions for a friend regarding a big block hood for 1965/1966 Corvette that he has owned for a few years. It appears to be a GM item, he has the box it came in, and although the box has seen better days, the hood appears to be in perfect condition. A couple of white spots on the outer part of the hood are just that, white spots which are easily removed.

My friend is a dealer in used autos, has a lot of collectible/restorable cars/trucks of all types, but doesn't normally deal in Corvettes, picked up the hood with an assortment of vehicles he purchased some years back. The photos below show the inside and outside of the hood, it has no chipping or similar damage anywhere on the hood that I can discern including along the edges. I've included photos of the box it was in, to include what I assume is the part number shown on the label attached to the box.

Any ideas or estimates of value, or interest?

Thanks for looking!!

Hard to read, number is 1207-4350F4

Old 05-19-2021, 09:22 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Ron - seeing the access openings on the underside front drivers corner tells me it's for a 66 since the 66's had an emblem on top and the 65's did not.
As for value, probably still going to need some closeups but if it truly is a GM NOS press molded hood and no damage seen anywhere, if the aftermarket vendors are asking $1500+ for a press molded hood, my guess would be $2K but again, just a guess.
You don't see NOS Bigblock hoods come along that often.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 904 Likes on 595 Posts

I bought a very nice, new replacement from Lee Bumb (Sermershiem). I'd have bought an original if I could have. So a press molded replacement from Bumb should give a value start point. Certainly yours is worth more than a new one from Bumb.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Ron - seeing the access openings on the underside front drivers corner tells me it's for a 66 since the 66's had an emblem on top and the 65's did not.
As for value, probably still going to need some closeups but if it truly is a GM NOS press molded hood and no damage seen anywhere, if the aftermarket vendors are asking $1500+ for a press molded hood, my guess would be $2K but again, just a guess.
You don't see NOS Bigblock hoods come along that often.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
I noticed that as well, Mike. But it hasn't been drilled for the emblem yet, although I don't think that replacement parts from GM would have been drilled for emblems . . . .

I think I've also heard that 65 big block hoods had the hood support on the passenger's side, while '66 big block hood supports were on the driver's side. Not sure if that's fact or not, but this hood does appear to have at least the pad impression in the reinforcement on both right and left sides . . . . . leaves me to wonder if this may have been a GM replacement for either the '65 or '66, the driver's side appears to have locations for bolts for the hood support, while the passenger's side has what appear to be raised bosses or possibly caps in the holes for the hood support if it were located on that side. That's why I think it could have possibly been shipped by GM for either the 65 or 66 big block, one item serves both. That'd be similar to the 66 hubcaps they would sell as a service replacement for any mid-year, since it was the only one still available for some period of time. I believe they're out of those now as well . . . . .

I think the part number on the label (if that's what it is) will give someone on the forum a clue as to my suspicions . . . .

Old 05-19-2021, 11:14 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,050 Likes on 578 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yes, it’ A over the counter replacement for 65 or 66 not a perfect replacement for either year. Things like all of the rivets are not correct GM originals. Is there a GM sticker on the panel itself? I have seen aftermarket hoods put into a GM box. It looks to be a correct GM replacement but it is hard to tell in any picture.

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 05-19-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:17 AM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

'65 Big Block hoods have the support on the passenger side and no holes for the emblem.

Last edited by Mark Lovejoy; 05-19-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:19 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

OK, found a bit more info from a forum search a few years back. Seems as if this is a GM replacement for 65 or 66, since original big block GM 65 hoods were only available during the '65 model year. Afterwards, the '66 replaced both 65 and 66. Also, I failed to note the small dimples on the front driver's side of the hood, locations for the emblem studs to be drilled for the 66, or filled for the 65. You can see these if you zoom the photo up.

Still, it's a great hood in excellent condition, based on past prices my guess is it should be worth $2,000 or so, perhaps more depending upon the market . . . .

Old 05-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mark Lovejoy
'65 Big Block hoods have the support on the passenger side and no holes for the emblem.
Thanks Mark, confirms what I have heard . . . .

Also, the use of pop rivets vs solid production line rivets would be incorrect for judging purposes . . . .

Last edited by Ron Miller; 05-19-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Yes, it’ A over the counter replacement for 65 or 66 not a perfect replacement for either year. Things like all of the rivets are not correct GM originals. Is there a GM sticker on the panel itself? I have seen aftermarket hoods put into a GM box. It looks to be a correct GM replacement but it is hard to tell in any picture.
Thanks much, confirms what I thought it might possibly be. I don't see any evidence of a GM sticker on the hood itself, only the box (or what remains of the box)! I believe it is a GM replacement, whatever they may be worth . . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on 65/66 Big Block Hood

Quick Reply: [C2] Opinions on 65/66 Big Block Hood