C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with my '61 please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:21 PM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

SD Thanks for the info...sure looks like a cluster****. Glad you are happy with yours

Last edited by wib1961; 05-14-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:59 AM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
No one has addressed the "tire" part of your question yet.
Putting radial tires on my '61 was, by far, the largest improvement in drivability I have done.
(Halogen headlight bulbs was a close 2nd!)

Diamondback offers modern radial tires with the correct wide-white whitewall.
They even fake the bias ply pie crust edge.... kind of!
(These are NOT diamondback tires in the photo below.. They are Hankook)

Also, for the softtop... Consider a Stayfast material rather than the stock vinyl.
Here is a Robbins stayfast top on my original-paint '61.

The stayfast lasts longer.. you don't have to worry about shrinkage or rips.. Ask me how I know!

Fred
I ordered 4 Tires and a pinion seal from Summit (Here in Arlington) and they should be here this week. Went with the Coker wide whitewall. Not as wide as my Bias-Ply's but I'll see if I like them.

As far as the Top goes, here's what I've been looking at. I haven't called to see if it's everything (frame, hardware, and all) but I would think so. The only thing that makes me think different is the shipping weight. It's only 55 lbs. I would think it should be more than that??

https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...hite-stayfast/

Good point on the headlights. I'll grab some of those as well.

Thanks!

BTW - I am a do-it-yourself type of guy. I took my first 283 apart when I was 14 and I've been wrenching ever since. That was 45 years ago. One caveat though, I've learned to pay for the things I don't want to tackle or take the time to do. In the early days, I had to do it all myself!

Last edited by rhanselman; 05-15-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:11 AM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Good for you not making a rest o rot out of it. Looks to nice for that. As someone mention if you are handy at all you should be able to do most of the work yourself. And anytime you do the work yourself you are not only saving money but a lot of headaches. The original carbs would be expensive but you should be able to buy clones. Complete brake system would be fairly cheap as well as an exhaust system. Lot of these old transmissions jump out of 2nd gear. Usually a new gear and brass will fix that. As for me I like bias tires but I guess yours are to old to relie on. Tires can be costly. As mention go with a stayfast top. You will be glad you did whenever you stow it away and raise it back up. Top and frame are going to be costly. Tops can be tricky to be on so in this case I would go with someone who has experience installing C1 top. Depending on how much you do yourself 15K to 20K should do it, assuming you have no body or painting work.
I'm actively looking for clone carbs. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Brakes are easy and cheap if I can still get rebuild kits that don't include the kitchen sink. I did order the exhaust and hardware via Gardner's exhaust (10-12 weeks) and I'll put it on myself. I have a trans guy here that is going to remove the unit and rebuild it with a master kit for $450. I'll supply the new clutch kit and have the FW ground. The stayfast top is just over 5 grand. https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...hite-stayfast/ I hope it's nice... Do you still think I'll need someone that knows these tops if I get the completed unit? I'm also rebuilding the gauge cluster, clock, and radio. Your price assumption is very close to mine but I have the engine in there as well which might bust me out the top. We'll see...

The most frustrating part of this for me is waiting for parts.

Last edited by rhanselman; 05-15-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:58 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rhanselman
I'm actively looking for clone carbs. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Brakes are easy and cheap if I can still get rebuild kits that don't include the kitchen sink. I did order the exhaust and hardware via Gardner's exhaust (10-12 weeks) and I'll put it on myself. I have a trans guy here that is going to remove the unit and rebuild it with a master kit for $450. I'll supply the new clutch kit and have the FW ground. The stayfast top is just over 5 grand. https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...hite-stayfast/ I hope it's nice... Do you still think I'll need someone that knows these tops if I get the completed unit? I'm also rebuilding the gauge cluster, clock, and radio. Your price assumption is very close to mine but I have the engine in there as well which might bust me out the top. We'll see...

The most frustrating part of this for me is waiting for parts.
You are mostly paying for the frame.. The stayfast top itself is only about $500.

It's not clear from that link, but do you think the top comes pre-installed on the frame?
I think that's highly unlikely, as they need to be trimmed to the window positions, etc.

Like you, I like to do my own work... but I did hire a pro for the top.. It's very unforgiving.. a mistake will either ruin the top, or look bad forever.
Especially since you will be retrofitting this into a HT-only car...

Fred

Quick Reply: Help with my '61 please...