C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 12:40 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 934 Likes on 535 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Front End Alignment

Can’t seem to get my steering wheel centered correctly, it’s either a little to the left or to the right. And it affects my turn signal cancellation. Think I need to get my 65 aligned but haven’t been to an alignment shop in over 20 years. Can any shop do it, Firestone for instance? Looking for a recommendation.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:57 PM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 312 Posts

In my experience with front and rear end alignments on C2's it's not so much the shop as the alignment mechanic who works at the shop. A few years ago I was struggling to find an alignment mechanic in the area who had a clue as to how to correctly align a C2 and I was having no luck. Finally I was at a car show and asked several different C2 owners who live in my immediate area that question. They knew exactly who to go to and it was mechanic specific; not this shop or that shop. I would check with friends of yours who live in your area and who own one or more C2's. There are only two mechanics/locations in my area (Northern Virginia) and they are both well known to local C2 owners. Everyone else is clueless. And as you might guess, both of the alignment guys in my area are in their late 60's and early 70's. Good Luck with it.
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Just had mine done - and no, you can't trust any shop to do it. Most of the young kids in the boutique shops won't know what an alignment shim is. Ask you car buddies or the local NCRS outfit for a good recommendation.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
59BlueSilver (04-20-2021), C2Scho (04-19-2021), davekp78 (04-20-2021), mblake101 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:05 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,190 Posts

First review the shop manual and AIM to verify that the system is properly assembled. There are various index marks that need to be lined up.

If it's assembled properly then it's just a matter of tweaking the tie rods to center the steering wheel while keeping the toe-in in the proper range. If it only slightly off you can usually tweak just one tie rod. Any alignment shop can do this simple task, but so too can any decent DIYer.

Duke
Old 04-19-2021, 01:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you're gonna do it, go the whole enchilada and get the 4 wheel alignment, you will prob have to bring your own rear shims (get stainless steel from any vendor here) and bring your OWN specs. Most of the databases on the whiz bang, laser machines won't go back to the 60's.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:39 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,253 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you're gonna do it, go the whole enchilada and get the 4 wheel alignment, you will prob have to bring your own rear shims (get stainless steel from any vendor here) and bring your OWN specs. Most of the databases on the whiz bang, laser machines won't go back to the 60's.
And, if they do the specs will be for the old bias ply tires not modern radials...big difference! Hence, as mentioned, bring your own specs.

Last edited by leif.anderson93; 04-19-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:57 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,334 Likes on 502 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You've got to be kidding. I doubt there are even a few shops that know anything about a 65 Corvette front end let alone the rear. If it was a "reputable" shop they would have a lot of cars waiting and once they found out what it takes to set a C2 rear toe in they would probably refuse because they'd have lots more easy paying customers to do instead.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,284 Likes on 848 Posts

Not only bring your own spec's insist on meeting those specs and not just in the green zone!
Tell them upfront you want the number on and not a range. AND a post print out of specs.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:04 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,864 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by JF in MI
You've got to be kidding. I doubt there are even a few shops that know anything about a 65 Corvette front end let alone the rear. If it was a "reputable" shop they would have a lot of cars waiting and once they found out what it takes to set a C2 rear toe in they would probably refuse because they'd have lots more easy paying customers to do instead.
If you have the later C3 shims, you can align the rear on a modern alignment rack in about the same time it takes to do a modern car. It’s not rocket science and it’s actually easier to visualize than turning eccentrics and offset cam bolts.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:32 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,267 Posts

I only go to a specialty shop near me, and they set it to my specs, not to a "good enough" setting. The owner is a racer and does a lot of older cars.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Kidding about what ? I may have not made it clear in this thread but I've said it 10,000 times before to find a shop that knows what they're doing and showed my car a dozen times on an old Visauliner machine from the 60's right here in my town. That gentleman is no longer around so I took it to Palm Automotive (a modern shop nearby with an old school alignment tech), it took him an hour on a modern machine and cost $135
Old 04-20-2021, 07:16 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Kidding about what ? I may have not made it clear in this thread but I've said it 10,000 times before to find a shop that knows what they're doing and showed my car a dozen times on an old Visauliner machine from the 60's right here in my town. That gentleman is no longer around so I took it to Palm Automotive (a modern shop nearby with an old school alignment tech), it took him an hour on a modern machine and cost $135
Well, I'm impressed. All I know is that back in the 70' through the 80s I worked in an alignment shop where we were the few, if only, in CT that did C2-C3 rear alignment correctly (that being the key word) and most were a PIA particularly with the shim bolt being rusted in place in the bushing. I knew of very few shops that would go through that trouble even back then let alone now and even if they would not that cheap even in 1970 dollars.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I did my homework and the guy that did mine was very experienced, moreover when replacing the trailing arms I preserved the shim pack positions and that paid off - those didn't need touched, nor the front set up. The rear camber was the only thing way off...

Now, a few here have gone to boutique alignment shops and told their cars are classified as "exotics" and an alignment for all 4 wheels will cost $400 or more.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:37 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

I did my homework and the guy that did mine was very experienced, moreover when replacing the trailing arms I preserved the shim pack positions and that paid off - those didn't need touched, nor the front set up. The rear camber was the only thing way off...

Now, a few here have gone to boutique alignment shops and told their cars are classified as "exotics" and an alignment for all 4 wheels will cost $400 or more.
Replaced an entire arm? I'm assuming there was already a stub axel and bearings already installed. All for only $135 in today's dollars? Where is this guy? It would be worth trailing the car across the country.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:05 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 772 Likes on 402 Posts

As was mentioned briefly above, my biggest concern with having a modern shop do the job is whether all the bolts and nuts that need to be loosened will still do so. I'd also be concerned about whether the rubber wear items were too far gone to do a proper alignment. So if my only ocncern was centering the steering wheel, I'd follow SWCDuke's advice and do it myself (like I have done in the past). If I decided to go for the whole 4-wheel alignment, I'd do a thorough inspection of front and rear suspension and test loosen (and retighten) any suspicious looking bolts/nuts. I'd also be prepared to show the technician where all the alignment adjustments are made.

Last edited by kellsdad; 04-20-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:44 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,864 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Replaced an entire arm? I'm assuming there was already a stub axel and bearings already installed. All for only $135 in today's dollars? Where is this guy? It would be worth trailing the car across the country.
Frankie is more than capable of responding and defending his position, but this post is out of line and simply rude. Reading comprehension is a critical skill. Hard to believe you are lacking in that department, therefore the only conclusion I can draw is you are resorting to attacking the individual vs. being able to defend your position. Disappointing.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:42 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 236 Posts

I was able to work with a friend at a local Chevrolet dealer on my 67 alignment with a newer Hunter machine that downloaded the specs from their website. I would start with getting the steering wheel in the correct position so the turn signal cam works. I clamped the wheel straight ahead with the locking fixture to set the LH, RH and sum toe.

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Alignment

Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Factoid
Frankie is more than capable of responding and defending his position, but this post is out of line and simply rude. Reading comprehension is a critical skill. Hard to believe you are lacking in that department, therefore the only conclusion I can draw is you are resorting to attacking the individual vs. being able to defend your position. Disappointing.
OK, then let me rephrase that then, With All Due Respects. I have no doubt that FTF can replace an arm by himself. I must have mistakenly presumed that he had the shop also replace the arm at the time of alignment. If the pivot bolts and shims were just replaced (read clean and rust free) then $135 for rear alignment alone is reasonable.
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:32 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When overhauling my steering box, I learned that the box must be in the dead center position to adjust.

That should hold true when doing an alignment as well. If the wheel is really off center, the rag joint can be clocked.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:28 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 934 Likes on 535 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just had mine done - and no, you can't trust any shop to do it. Most of the young kids in the boutique shops won't know what an alignment shim is. Ask you car buddies or the local NCRS outfit for a good recommendation.
Got some feedback from my local car club and there’s a recommended place right here in town. Bring my own specs? What specs is that?

Quick Reply: [C2] Front End Alignment