C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Softer Ride For 62

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 11:43 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 247 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Softer Ride For 62

Looking for some suggestion, thoughts, ideas, experiences for softening the ride of my 62. I've communicated with T. Parsons and he is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help, but before I start changing out rear springs I'd like to check all my options.

I don't want to install a custom frame or remove the body, so any mods would have to be done body on.

My current inherited rear springs have 5-1/2 leaves and it looks like the 5th leaf (2nd from bottom) is a custom made cut down upper leaf. That said, I'm pretty sure even a standard HD 5 leaf spring would ride softer and a 4 leaf spring softer yet, but are there other rear suspensions options that could be installed (body on) that would give a more pleasant ride.

The current spring pack is 1-3/4" +- thick, and the General Spring website says a standard 5 leaf pack is 1-3/8" and standard 4 leaf pack is 1-1/16" so to keep my car at the same height new springs would have to be custom arched or I will need to install a flat spacer between the spring pack and spring perch.

Appreciate the feedback.

BH

Old 03-21-2021, 11:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Get stock rated springs from Eaton. Done.
The following users liked this post:
Jake Morgan (03-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Get stock rated springs from Eaton. Done.

Thanks Frankie, that's an option and when I checked their website yesterday, they offer + - 1" or 2" arch adjustments, which would solve my ride height issue.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:26 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I always wonder when I see people asking how to make their car ride better if they know that in order to do so there are going to be compromises.

It seems many people do not understand some basic things regarding suspension. Springs are there to carry the weight of the car and “spring” it back to the factory standard ride height of the car in a reasonable amount of time for a combination of best ride and handling for the given car. e.g. passenger cars are sprung lighter than muscle or sports car who’s owner are expected to give up some better handling for a softer ride. Shocks purpose are to absorb the harshness felt through the springs on uneven and harsh roads.

If you have a Corvette with a standard suspension the best you can hope for is to use standard Monroe shock absorbers (not gas charged) to bring your car back to it’s original factory type ride. If you want it any better ride wise you are going to have to soften the springs but you are going to give up the better handling characteristics that come with those springs. Another thing that has a great deal to do with ride is the length of the wheelbase. Short wheel base cars inherently have a choppy ride which is amplified with heavier springs. Newer short wheel base cars ride better but it is because of a combination of the weight of the car, springs and shocks or struts. ALL of this is dependent on the lower weight of the car which effect the rest of the suspension.

So, the bottom line here is that for those of you that are comparing and expecting to get a similar ride out of your old Corvette as your new Impala for example you are not being realistic. Just understand that the car is what it is and deal with it. If you are unhappy with it then you really don’t understand the concept of what a sports car is all about and you have likely bought the wrong car.

Last edited by 68hemi; 03-21-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:21 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Understand what you say and agree. These cars never road smooth, even fresh off the assembly line, as that is not what they were designed for and I know that. I drove a 62 for a year and a half as a daily driver back in 1970-71 when I was 20-21...so I get it.

But, this car has a home made "bubba" spring set up that rides like a dump truck.......so just about anything will be an improvement. I'm just checking my options, just in case there's something out there besides installing stock 4 or 5 leaf rear springs. But, it doesn't appear there is, so new springs will most likely be the answer.

I have a 1/2" difference in ride height from side to side in the rear or I would consider removing some leaves and trying to salvage what I have, but it appears I have spring fatigue on the passenger side. Looks like Eaton is my answer.
ptjsk (03-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 141 Posts

Dump those 5 leaf springs. I made the same mistke makes the car ride like crap and really loose. Takes out all the good balanced mild understeer. Put in new new 4 leaf factory spec springs front and rear.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:17 AM
68hemi
Race Director

I am sure you know this but for those who don’t if you have Traction Masters and want a better ride then lose them. They are great for preventing wheel hop but they give the car a real choppy ride on any kind of rough road.

Last edited by 68hemi; 03-22-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

I've learned a lot about rear suspensions (Tom was a great help) while seeking a solution and I now realize anything you do to limit the movement (springs, shocks, traction bars, etc) of the rear axle, makes for a harsher ride. If I needed it, I would welcome it, but I don't and ride quality is what I'm seeking.

My last concern is how to maintain my body height for tire clearance, as I run 17" wheels. I can measure the relaxed arc of my spring once it's off and have Eaton or ? make new springs to those specs, but I'm expecting a stock 4 or 5 leaf rear spring will compress more from body weight (lowing the car) than what I have now...........and not sure how to compute that drop.

I only wanted to do this once, but I figure I'm going to have to mess with any new spring and maybe have to fabricate flat spacer plates to go in between the spring and the spring perch to make up any body drop.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:13 AM
CaptainEgg
Almost Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 153 Posts

68Hemi, I disagree, original Traction Masters that are bolted on do not alter the ride, aftermarket ones are a different story. It appears he has the ones with a rubber stop up front and I would agree unless you plan on hole shots get rid of those and put stock 4 leaf springs in
Old 03-22-2021, 09:14 AM
CaptainEgg
Almost Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 153 Posts

With 6 leafs that thing must ride worse the a rigid frame Harley!
Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You'be pretty much blown the suspension envelope for originality with those size tires....

All I can say is my bone stock 61 had an elegant and comfortable ride after I installed correct, rebuilt, C1 springs.....the car was still piggish in the handling department at speed, but normal street driving was more comfortable than my stock 63 (according to the wife): And, of course, good radial tires help a bunch.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-22-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Loren Smith (03-28-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:07 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Frankie, who rebuilt your rear springs?
Old 03-22-2021, 10:54 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

My 56 has the bone stock 4 leaf rear springs, with a 5th leaf added in (next to the main leaf) by a previous owner (prior to 73). MANY years ago, I removed the 5th leaf. The springs began to sag to much to my dislike, so I put the 5th leaf back in and all has been fine since.
SOMETIMES, I load the trunk and/or tow a trailer. Thus, I like having that 5th leaf even though it is MILDLY stiffer when there is no rear load.

Loren Smith (03-28-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Frankie, who rebuilt your rear springs?
Somebody named Frankie with Paragon muslin, liners, metal plugs and clamps.
Scott Marzahl (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 11:02 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaptainEgg
With 6 leafs that thing must ride worse the a rigid frame Harley!

It's pretty harsh and takes all the fun out of driving it!
Old 03-22-2021, 01:22 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

You'be pretty much blown the suspension envelope for originality with those size tires....
Yes, I understand the taller tires means I'm out of the normal realm for a 62, but I sure like the looks.

There are so many factors I don't understand. Spring rate for one. Online I read the stock 4 leaf spring is 110# while the 5 leaf HD is #145, but I don't really know what that means. I don't understand spring rate or poundage rates.

I won't be towing or dropping the hammer, so I'm leaning towards the 4 leaf, but does the lower spring rate have to be factored in when ordering new springs, so the height of the body at rest will remain relatively the same and what about rebounding on rough roads?

I just contacted Eaton and asked for their advice, but any real world experience that can offered here is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:54 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaptainEgg
68Hemi, I disagree, original Traction Masters that are bolted on do not alter the ride, aftermarket ones are a different story. It appears he has the ones with a rubber stop up front and I would agree unless you plan on hole shots get rid of those and put stock 4 leaf springs in

Well, you are wrong. I have original Traction Masters on my 57 and I am speaking from first hand knowledge.

Get notified of new replies

To Softer Ride For 62

Old 03-22-2021, 01:57 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Yes, I understand the taller tires means I'm out of the normal realm for a 62, but I sure like the looks.

There are so many factors I don't understand. Spring rate for one. Online I read the stock 4 leaf spring is 110# while the 5 leaf HD is #145, but I don't really know what that means. I don't understand spring rate or poundage rates.

I won't be towing or dropping the hammer, so I'm leaning towards the 4 leaf, but does the lower spring rate have to be factored in when ordering new springs, so the height of the body at rest will remain relatively the same and what about rebounding on rough roads?

I just contacted Eaton and asked for their advice, but any real world experience that can offered here is greatly appreciated.

The best advise I can give you is to find a local spring shop that builds them. The older the shop the better as they will have all of the original specs and can advise you based on your request and how your car is equipped—tire size etc.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:37 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Good advice Hemi, but I've had a very hard time finding dependable old school people, who I considered knowledgeable and capable of doing a better job than I do, which isn't saying much. And none with corvette experience. I hoping Eaton is the answer, as they say they "build them the old way" and will custom arc them.

I have a shop trust issue too. I had a Tremec 600 installed last year by a KCMO area shop. Large classic restoration shop who do $100K and up restorations on all kinds of classic cars (except corvettes). I had to go back several times for mistakes and they forgot to take the Tremec required warranty measurements, to prove the alignment was within limits on the engine/bell housing/trans. I still believe they pencil whipped it rather than pull the trans and do it right the 2nd time around.

So, I'll just do as much as I can myself.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:57 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Good advice Hemi, but I've had a very hard time finding dependable old school people, who I considered knowledgeable and capable of doing a better job than I do, which isn't saying much. And none with corvette experience. I hoping Eaton is the answer, as they say they "build them the old way" and will custom arc them.

I have a shop trust issue too. I had a Tremec 600 installed last year by a KCMO area shop. Large classic restoration shop who do $100K and up restorations on all kinds of classic cars (except corvettes). I had to go back several times for mistakes and they forgot to take the Tremec required warranty measurements, to prove the alignment was within limits on the engine/bell housing/trans. I still believe they pencil whipped it rather than pull the trans and do it right the 2nd time around.

So, I'll just do as much as I can myself.
Well Eaton is a good choice. Since you will be doing things by the net or phone I would prepare by having the car weighed for total and per axle, take ride height and wheel opening measurements etc. They will let you know what they need but I am guessing this may be some of it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: [C1] Softer Ride For 62