C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 03:59 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK

Remember, I do not claim to be an expert on any of these individual cars or their Vin histories, and just trying to create an enthusiast Registry, using public sources to attempt to build this thread.

THIS WILL BE A WORK IN PROGRESS

I have a habit of just posting up in other people's threads, but have also started my own threads too. I rarely get them to the point of completion that would make me happy (time constraints, informational dead ends), But I will use this as a dump for my occasional updates, research, or whatever! And I like pictures, but it is time consuming and will try to post more!

If you don't see it, I will consider adding it! So if you have a candidate car, post it. This isn't an Ownership registry, just the cars (trying to figure out with literature, public accessible research what are the claimed cars, I am not validating or invalidating cars, just sharing what I have found publically! I will end up missing a whole lot of great cars, but I have joined no organization to get inside information. The other marques, have Registries (Ferrari, Cobra, Ford GT-40, Lamborghini, etc. etc. etc.).

I will see if I can keep cleaning up this information, a never ending ambition! Critics should go elsewhere!

I also offer to people, to change my mind. I am not into poor memories, but give me something (hard copy) to consider, reverse my thinking, a picture, etc.. I will try my damnest to keep an open mind. I think Registries all serve a good purpose. It is a buyer beware World, and in no way is this being assembled as a source of expert information. It is an enthusiast place to talk about these cars, where we are attempting to figure out the truly cool cars.

I moved this timeline work here on October 1st, 2023, so I don't have to look for it, everytime I think about adding to it!!!!

Yes, the history is hard to keep straight. An example of a timeline (rough), I will plan to do future edits onto this work. More info pending! I am open to feedback, assistance on anything that helps this timeline, dates, occurances. I have more, just ran out of time, have to go to work.

November 27, 1961 Zora officially requested authorization to release his Heavy Duty Service Package (HDSP) 409 CID/425 HP engine.

June 1962 Henry Ford II announces the withdraw from the AMA and they are going racing.

June 1962 Idea to build a dedicated Racing Engine (Keineth to lead the project), Clean slate, and not to try to modify a production engine. The problem is NASCAR kind of requires Production based engines.

June 22, 1962 Joe Pike writes a letter to invite Dave MacDonald the #1 Team driver for Don Steves Chevrolet, and Dick Thompson the lead guy from the Grady Davis/Yenko teammate to the Factory to drive the new 1963 Corvette Prototypes.

June 29th to July 2nd, Zora Duntov featuring Dave MacDonald and Dick Thompson on film driving impressions of the 1963 Corvette Prototypes.

July 1, 1962 What would be C2 Vin#003 (Pilot Line Car??) Built.
July 1962 They start the MK II project targeting 409 cubes, as this would benefit the Production 409 in collateral publicity. Build the 409 reputation.

July 1962 NASCAR meets with Manufacturers to talk coming season rules. Meets start talking about 6.5 Liter rule, that changes to potential allowance of 7 Liter Rule (428 ci.)

August 1962 Some talk of problems related to the complexity of machining the heads (valve angles)

August 1962 First MKII completed, and they would all be built from August 1962 to January 1963.

August 1962 The 1963 Impala model is out.

August 1962 First MKII prototyped (409), testing begins on dynos.

August 18, 1962 Race Program meetings inside Chevrolet

August 21, 1962 Vince Piggins internal memo to all Department Heads working on the two different engine programs to HF Barr, EJ Premo, TE Dougherty, MS Rosenberger, WT Burwell, ZA Duntov, DH MacPherson, RL Keineth, FH Frincke to fast track for the 1963 Competition Season. The MK II program to get 10 engines (427 cubes) ready for Daytona. The Z-11 guys to do (50) Special Impala SS cars.

September 1962 Two cars built up for MK II testing at the Arizona Proving Grounds. Initially running the MK I against the prototype MK II. One car was a Pontiac fitted with the Chevy motor. Some aero differences affected the testing. Figured out one car was ran nose high, not giving a good comparison.

September 1962 Design work for 427 done, Prototype engines completed, began dyno testing.

September 1962 Smokey Yunick finally joins the project. Was invited by Knudsen to view the 427 engine unassembled. First time meeting young Keineth.

September 13, 1962 Doug Hooper picks up the 1963 Corvette Z06 #008 at Burbank Airport and drives it down to Mickey Thompson's shop in Long Beach.

Late September 1962 claim of MacDonald, Bondurant, and picking up their 1963 Corvette Z06 cars, destined to race at the October 14th Times Grand Prix Weekend GT race. See October 1st 1962 entry on the same. The birthdays of these cars as per NCRS is 10/2/1962. They must of rushed things.

October 1, 1962 First Production 1963 Z06 Coupe built #684, for Factory Pickup for Don Steves Chevrolet; La Habra, CA. (Dave MacDonald). Four more cars built #701, #787, #809, #813, and including #008 Pilot Line built up Car, this Totals 6 Z06 cars.

October 3, 1962 1963 Z06 Coupe #875, #895 built (the 7th & 8th cars, counting the #008 Pilot line car), but without the Z06 brakes, Customer Letter was sent to both.

October 1962 NASCAR announced the 1963 Rules formally. 7 Liter Maximum

October 1962 Smokey Yunick gets first engines for development work (427s).

October 13, 1962 Times Grand Prix Weekend (Riverside Raceway)

October 22-24, 1962 Production 1963 Z06 cars #2124 (Nickey), #2227 (Grady Davis/D. Thompson), #2244 (Grady Davis/Yenko).

October 1962 1962 Walt McKenzie Group kept development and Field test of the Spec NASCAR (Red) built up and fitted with the first prototype 427 MK II. Some reporting went out to other departments, but Zora and his group were denied access. McKenzie Group was Vince Piggins, Barney Krass, Paul Prior, Doug Roe).

October 30, 1962 Piggens hires Jim Rathman to do Field Testing of the Prototype MKII car (Test car #609-1) at the Proving Grounds. They picked up a 1961 Ford for comparison.

November 1962 First testing of Red NASCAR with the Prototype 427 MK IIS at Arizona Proving Grounds. Claimed to hit 180 on the long 5 mile testing oval.

November 1962 Production to cast, machine up the parts begins for MK IIS engines, and runs thru January 1963.

November 26, 1962 Production 1963 Z06 #3809 Built with upgraded brakes. This car might have been sent to the FIA Offices in New York, and then sent down to Sebring for the Mid December 1962 Brake and Firestone testing.

December 1, 1962 Z-11 car production began

December 1962 Chevrolet starts 427 MKII Production assembly, each hand assembled with specs from Yunick and others.

December 15-16, 1963 Sebring Brake and Firestone Tire testing and Press Invitation. First Public appearance for the Grand Sport (in White Paint), Silver Z06 with upgraded brakes appears to, and a Production Car fitted with the Grand Sport brakes (Girlings).

January 1963 (First week) 14 engines from Chevrolet delivered to Yunick's Shop. Yunick has one Development 427 he built, that he will run in his own car. He starts Dyno tuning work on the rest.

January 1963 (First Week) Daytona 500 Chevrolet Teams announced Publically
Ray Fox Entrant, Driver Junior Johnson
Ray Fox Entrant, Driver G. Spencer
Smokey Yunick Entrant, Driver Johnny Rutherford (24), First NASCAR race entered, former Sprint Car driver.
Rex White Entrant, Driver Rex White
WH Harrison Entrant, Driver Bubba Farr (planned 409 engine initially, would race the 427 MK II).

January 5, 1963 Frederic Donner GM Head, shuts down the Corvette Lightweight Grand Sport Program. Gives ordered related to that in Writing on this date.

January 5, 1963 Production begins again on the stalled 1963 Z06 model (first serial numbers believed to be 6208 and 6275).

January 1963 Rex White gets former Red car, now White, delivered to his garage. Gets spare engines from Yunick.

January 1963 Ray Fox gets his allotment of engines, I believe from Yunick?

January 1963 Mickey Thompson calls his old Pontiac associated Friend Smokey Yunick to arrange Garaging his team of Corvettes, for the upcoming Daytona Continental. The idea of running the Corvettes with NASCAR engines is born, Mickey Thompson joins the idea of doing the American Challege NASCAR sanctioned races prior to the 1963 Daytona Continental 3 hours and the famed 1963 Daytona 500.

January 1963 A garage is found, and modifications are started on the Silver Z06 already in Florida.

January 1963 (Mid Month) Mickey Thompson's Team arrives in Florida, just ahead of the 2nd Sebring Test date that got cancelled.

January 1963 Rex White wants in on the Corvette action, thus Mickey Sources another car, work on that begins in California at his shop, and the car is Air Freighted to Florida to have the modifications finished for the American Challenge. I believe that 1963 Z06 Coupe #6844 was ordered, but it would not arrive in time. Thus upon deliver, Mickey Thompson just used it for his Personal Vehicle.

February 2, 1963 Daytona Speed Week (Actually Month) starts. Practice and Qualifying for the Sports Racers, and the Grand Nationals.

February 3, 1963 Race, USRRC? will check

February 10, 1963 American Challenge Qualifier (Daytona Speedway). The Silver Vette leads in the modifications. The White Vette trails in preparation.
Feb 10 was the 5 lap quaifier for the American Challenge Cup (call it ACC for short).
Feb 14 was a practice session for the ACC where the Maserati (Marvin Panch) flipped upside down, and real big boy Tiny Lund "ran" to get the guy out, super cool human effort as the crashed car was on fire.
Feb 15 due to handling ills, they in the motel parking lot took the suspensions completely apart to find the gremlins, and install some new components bushings and such.
Feb 16 morning practice, the #3 Silver 427 was handling worse, Junior Johnson made a little bit of a scene. Rex White was still going to give it a try.
Feb 16 Grid was to be 16 cars, those that did not qualify like the Ferrari GTOs had to start from the back, thus the 2 Corvette 427s on the front row, with that Pontiac and FIA Corvettes filling the up front rows. Junior Johnson said I am out, due to the bad weather rain. They scrambled and Billy Krause took over the seat of the pole position Corvette.

I have always wondered about guys disturbed claiming their car is handling bad, when they took the pole. Kind of a Formula One Karen thing! Ok you have the fastest car in the field, what about the guys further down the grid that had really really bad handling performing cars.

Feb 16 We know NASCAR never runs in the wet, but these are GT Sports Cars! They start the race 26 entered, only 16 qualified, 14 starters. I need to finish a better post on who all did what, qualified, race position, etc. So the Pontiac shot to the front and was untouchable. Ultimately Goldsmith 1st in a runaway, AJ Foyt in the Nickey Chevrolet 327 FIA car 2nd, and Krause third in the Silver 427 car. Rex White came in and parked the White 427 on lap 38. He casually got out, said enough. Mickey Thompson looked at him like an enraged bull, grabbed a driver's helmet and jumped in, but he did one lap literally and came right in. The claim was suspension failure, lateral camber rod in the back broke.

Results: I just need to finish this
1st #50 Paul Goldsmith Pontiac Tempest Ray Nichols
2nd #17 AJ Foyt Corvette Z06 Nickey Chevrolet
3rd #3 Bill Krause Corvette 427 Mickey Thompson
4th #22 Fireball Roberts Ferrari GTO NART
5th #26 David Piper Ferrari GTO Private
6th #19 Tony Denman Corvette C1 Private
7th #14 Huschke von Hamstein Porsche 356B Private
8th #15 Jo Bonnier Abarth GTL Carrera Porsche
9th #44 Bill Buncker Porsche Carrera 2 Brunos
10th #16 Bob Holbert Abarth GTL Carrera Porsche
11th #1 Ed Cantrell Corvette Z06 Private
12th #41 Bob Brown Corvette Z06 Private
13th #4 Rex White/M. Thompson Corvette 427 Mickey Thompson
14th #7 Don Campbell Corvette Z06 SS
DNF
more pending
DNS- Not Qualified
#5 Johnny Allen Corvette Dixie Motors
#8 Dick Lang Corvette Private
#12 Delmo Johnson Corvette Delmo Johnson Chevrolet
more pending

Feb 17 all four Corvettes being handled by NASCAR guys and Mickey were entered in the 3 Hour Continental. The two 427 cars were not legal, but to get more extra race speed running on those new engines, a week out from the Daytona 500, they ran these in practice. Rex White and Junior Johnson both listed as driver entrants. They ran laps and when session done, they came in and that was it. Those 427 were both pulled at the track on the White car (figured fresher engine, so it actually went to the 5th Chevrolet NASCAR team entrant. The Silver car transported back to Yunicks shop, as it that 427 was to be evaluated, having ran the entire 250 mile ACC event.
Feb 17 the Continental started and essentially a whole lot of drama, but I will skip that in lew of my bike ride, I am going to head up Colima Boulevard hill, and back down for a quick workout. Then eat. So basically the two Ferrari GTOs 1st Rodriquez, 2nd Roger Penske in the Mecom Ferrari car, and 3rd was Dick Thompson in the Grady Davis Corvette.
Feb 17, 1963 Daytona Continental 3 Hours
Results:
1st #18 Pedro Rodriguez
2nd #29 Roger Penske
3rd #10 Dick Thompson
Will add more.

Feb 22 NASCAR Twin 100 mile Qualifiers
Race #1
Results (just top 5 as not Corvette related)
1st #3 J. Johnson
2nd #01 P. Goldsmith (different Pontiac)
3rd #02 A.J. Foyt
4th #06 L. Frank
5th #0 D. Gurney
Note: Junior Johnson winner (164.083 Average) and due to the Publicity Blackout, they parked them and walked away without interviews, picked up the trophy and still no interviews.

Race #2
Results (just top 5 as not Corvette related)
1st #13 J. Rutherford
2nd #04 R. White
3rd #28 F. Lorenzen
4th # N. Jarrett
5th # N. Stacy
Note: Johnny Rutherford winner (162.969 Average), Junior Johnson #2. Rutherford was so excited about his first NASCAR win, in his first NASCAR weekend, that he did not zip the lip, he started telling everyone that he owed it all to Smokey Yunick. Well the brain cells of the Press clicked to full on attack Yunick for answers. A true oh **** moment. The Press not getting their answers, that is how the new engine was tagged with the Mystery Motor.

February 16, 1963 American Challenge Final Practice (Daytona Speedway)

February 16th, 1963 Race- American Challenge 250 (Daytona Speedway)

February 17, 1963 Race- Daytona Continental 3 Hours (FIA- Daytona Speedway)

February 20-21, 1963 France is about to disqualify the Chevrolet contingency. Protests from Ford primarily were filed related to the Mystery Motor. The final agreement was for Chevrolet to make two engines available for purchase at the local Dealership. Holman Moody picked up one engine, the Mopar guys didn't bother to get theirs. The Ford guys make the mistake of taking the engine apart immediately to study the internals, and then didn't have gaskets to put it back together to run it.

February 24, 1963 Race- Daytona 500 (Daytona Speedway)

March 23, 1963 Race- Sebring 12 Hours Endurance Race (FIA- Sebring Airport, FL)

June 1963 Rex White parks his Chevrolet racer for good.

July 4, 1963 Race- Daytona 400. Last race for Yunick with the MKIIS engine.

November 23, 1963 Grand Sport #001 Photographed at the Factory Proving grounds.

November 30, 1963 Mecon Team Race Cars (3- Grand Sports, 1- Lola MK-6, etc. ) arrive dockside at Nassau, Bahamas.

Junior Johnson completes the 1963 season on a shoestring using the MKII engines he could find and keep running.

Fall 1963 Yunick given new 396 MKIIS parts, to potentially develop 1964 Season engine, in case Chevrolet reverses the Anti Racing Edict (Smokey has 3 MKII engines left, and parts of a 4th engine in his shop).

More to Come!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-25-2023 at 12:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TCracingCA:
carl3989 (07-25-2022), kenba (03-07-2021), Ol Blue (03-05-2022)

Popular Reply

09-22-2023, 03:45 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Injected Stingray
I appreciate the effort you have put into this thread. Especially the Z06 info because like you mentioned it is a quagmire. The fake MT car is something that needs to be out there for sure. Franz is a friend of mine and I wouldn’t put his name out there even though he’s well known to many in the community. I’m sorry people have treated you with disrespect but there’s always bad apples in every group. Best of luck and keep up the awesome work.

Really no Fake MT car (just mixed up cars).

Everything I find points to the restored Silver 427 car, being the actual White 427 car. I think the Silver is pretty, car is awesome. If it was mine, I would leave it alone until the day it needs a new paint job, then change it to white, just to be historically correct, and just because the White car has the more interesting history.

On Mickey's street #6844, they got that mixed up with the wrong history, but that was caught prior to a recent auction and disclosed (probably read something I wrote! Ha ha. They wrongly decaled it as the Norm Burger car, Mickey borrowed it back for his Allstate Tire promotion run at Bonneville Salt Flats for the Sears Automotive campaign. That was car #787 that did that promotion, not #6844. The year before, Sears(Allstate) used a female racer's Avanti Supercharged car for advertising (Paula Murphy). So for the car flip crowd, many of the decals would work on a 1963 Avanti her getting the title of Fastest Production car in history.

The Riverside winner looks to have been #008, solidly a pilot line car from dates and car descriptions. Some Hollywood people with a car #689 (non-Z06) attempted to claim that Vin as the Riverside winner. Prior to Riverside, Doug was using this #008 car to break it in, get comfortable with it. They also took it to Riverside prior to the racing weekend to attempt to sort the bad Z-06 brakes on the track. The car was fitted also with the new Radir Mag Rims, as Thompson just became a distributor. They sold a set to George Barris and those ended up on the 1960s Batmobile, and some other Hollywood cars, etc.

#809 is a solid car, picked up just before Nov 1962 Pomona Road race, driven by Al Gunther, as Krause was not on the Team yet. I do think incorrect history was taken from #809 by the Silver 427 car claim, is the only sin. As Vin #787 has been taken to be the Silver 427 car, the actual history on #787 as the true white 427 car, is lost by the mix up.

As far as my disabilities, I am back working on my real Corvettes, I am back trail riding my dual sport, I swim, I hike. I have been doing Martial Arts to improve my mobility, balance, health in general. My finances, credit damage from heavy medical bill co-payments and drop of Health Insurance coverage due to my accident, I have come back, not all the way, but the World is changing, I am doing OK! I kept all of my Corvettes, one 1969 Formula car, one 1965 Elco, a motorcycle, and 1/2 interest in my Father's old Corvette also. Thx, still not giving the Expert claimed guys free stuff except in this type of public forum format, and I aint selling anything I got to any of them. I just don't sell stuff (maybe one day, if I decide to downsize my life collected possessions).
Old 03-02-2021, 03:59 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1963 corvette z06

Work in progress
I just moved the Early 23 (some think 25) here, to post #2 on October 2023

Pilot Line Car research!

#00000 Silver/Black Coupe Powerglide Prototype. Believed to be the first actual car built as per Shop build #10271 (Body and Frame, then fitted with a 1959 283 engine). This car was believed to be rebodied as requested by GM Canada for the London Auto Show, when it was Vin plated #023.

They obviously moved this license plate to the next lead candidate car, for the Production soon to come the 4-seater Corvette. To Zora's relief that idea of Bill Mitchell was eventually cancelled.
#000000 BLUE/BLACK maybe DARK BLUE (4 Seat Corvette Prototype).

#00001 SILVER/BLACK Convertible Body #1 (conflicted info Saddle Tan/Saddle Coupe?) Built June

#00002 METALLIC RED/SADDLE TAN Coupe Body #1 Built June

#00003 Red/Red Convertible Body #2- 250hp In California NCRS Shipping report claims built 8/29/1962, Experts think 7/1/1962. Trim tag has no Date Stamp, an odd 2 though stamped.

#0004 Coupe Body #2

#00005 Coupe Body #3

#00006 Coupe Body #4

#00007 Daytona Blue/Blue Convertible 360hp (Conflicting claim of this being a Coupe)

#00008 Daytona Blue/Blue Coupe Body #5- 360hp

#00009 Silver/Saddle Coupe Body #6 360hp FI

#00010 Coupe #7

#00011 Coupe #8

#00012 Coupe Body #9 Built 7B Stamped (July 2nd Week)

#00013 Daytona Blue Coupe Body #10

#00014 Riverside Red/Red Convertible Body #4 360hp

#00015 Red/Red Convertible Body #5 FI Built 9/18/1962?? Trim Tag stamped A17

#00016 Red/Red Convertible Body #6 FI Built A17

#00017 Red/Red Convertible Body #7 FI Built A21

#00018. Red Convertible Body 8 FI 9/3/1962 Built A23

#00019 Coupe Body #11

#00020 Saddle/Saddle Coupe Body #12 FI 8/25/1962 Built A25

#00021 Saddle/Saddle Coupe Body #14 FI 9/18/1962 Built A30

#00022 Coupe Body #15

#00023 Silver/Black Coupe Body #13- 250hp, One in England Trim Tag Stamped A27.

Thought to be 23-25 cars (8 still believe exist), but one shipped to Zone/Code 00-000 (#00034 found).

The investor crowd, with their claims of rare cars found, have made this a friggen mess to work on! (Smile here) . Vince Piggins claimed to authorize 63, 1963 Z06 Big Tank cars. Now we have like 78 of them. Yes we need an enthusiast registry!

My main interest is figuring out the first 15 claimed cars, where the history has been jacked up since 1963. People, this has been a 57 year controversial topic, subject, with endless articles, and discussions, etc.. I am going to do my damnest to solve this 57 year mystery here, in front of everyone. And when I think I have it, I still just might be wrong, just because so much about these cars was lost or forgotten over time.

OK August 2023- where my thoughts are if I can finish the updates here in a few sittings!

So we have seven cars entered at the October 1962 Riverside race (I displayed the Race Program entrant pages for viewing) for this Production GT undercard event during the big Los Angeles Times Grand Prix weekend. I think everyone who was going to get a new special Z06 was entered, except one car was going to Puerto Rico with a low Vin #875. So 7 were entered, only 7 existed (not counting Candido Higuera's non-Z06 brake car). The other dealerships got there cars, I don't know why Don Steves second car, and Harry Mann (the largest Corvette selling dealership in the World) are discounted? They didn't make special arrangements to go get them. Reinhart also picked up at the Factory, but the Z06 brakes were not installed. His car and the Candi Puerto Rican car would get Z06 brakes shipped later.

So the 1962 Riverside Entrants were:
#000 Gurney (Don Steves) White (DNS)
#00 MacDonald (Don Steves) White
#6 Reinhart (Cochran & Celli) Daytona Blue (DNS)
#8 Grant (Alan Green) White
#77 Breskovich (Harry Mann) Silver (DNS)
#119 Hooper (Mickey Thompson) Daytona Blue (1st Place, first C2 major victory)
#614 Bondurant (Washburn) Silver Blue
4 Total competed, 3 Did not start.

I think the story of six Z06s originated, because the dumb (insert smile emoji here) experts fail to realize that Hooper's car might not have been a true Production Z06! Mickey wanted in, so Chevrolet let him use the test car #00008 in that first entered race at Riverside, that his shop was assisting Chevrolet on.

OK where did the two 427 cars come from at Daytona Feb 1963? These 7 cars, or were two more made? The fact that the so called experts in their write ups of Ownership chain initially leave Norm Burger out, tells me they generally are not as knowledgeable as claimed. Tom McIntyre remembered who he bought it from, pulled Norm Burger back into the 427 Corvette lore conversation!

Ok working from the known 7 entrants at Riverside, with problems I have been discussing. Some claimed experts list the 7 Vins into their stories, others say 6, and others claim 8- six for Riverside, and two that became the 427 cars. What a mess! So if we take these 7 Vins in the story. The problem is the Krause car #809 wasn't entered at Riverside. It appears one month later, even though a low Vin, and the Harry Mann car disappears. I think Harry Mann tried to get another one on order, but ended up building up the Pickens #711 car (non-Z06, but later with Z06 brakes added). So where was #809? Held up in paint at GM? Humor. It first shows up at Pomona in November 1962. If it went from GM to Mickey, then what happened to the Harry Mann car. Rumors are it was wrecked. Also a coincidence, but the car entered for Gurney, fell off of planet Earth. Mickey with four cars, that story is able to be sold to the World, as we see four cars were at Daytona in Thompson's hands. Forget Norm Burger, forget Gurney and Don Steves 2nd entry, forget Harry Mann. So if so, where did Mickey get the second silver car? Oh claimed shipped to him as a low Vin #787, which makes no sense, has no flow in the timeline of the Vin, to the story claim. Claimed it came from Chevrolet, so why not entered in November? Heck being such a low already built in the first batch time frame car, why not entered at the Riverside event, in October? Why did they enter the clunky heavy thick fiberglass Daytona Blue car, when they had a svelte #787 car. Well probably because it was, with a different Ownership, Harry Mann Chevrolet!. Heck even the Z06 expert guys don't indicate a handling Dealership for car #809 (Krause Silver car), as Mickey did get at least one of these by way of Norm Burger, via Don Steves, and the Daytona Blue car, from Zora. The Hooper Blue car I do believe was sent factory direct, as I dont think it was a regular production car (Pilot line car #008).

The idea of the 427 drop, didnt happen prior to the NASCAR teams knowing whether they were getting a new 427. They were still testing with the 409s at the end of December. They got those 14 engines at Daytona, basically last minute, late January. Three per team, practice, qualifying, race tune. The other two engines, were made available to Ford, and the Mopar camp. The Corvette 427 engines were sent for install separately, and that was handled by a shop up the street, from Smokey's Garage.

Mickey in several sources, only had two Corvettes in November to race, and in an article written from an interview of Mickey Thompson, he only had two Corvettes in December prior to Christmas. A Silver #809, and the Hooper Daytona Blue car #008!

Ok, my turn to poke holes in my thoughts, I will work off of the same car Vin list. I account for all 7 entrants at Riverside October 1962. These cars all in the construction range around October 1st and 2nd, the first batch. I dont think any of these were the Silver 427 car, is my problem, most won't like. Tough love! That car was found in the care of Andy Porterfield (orange at the time), with all kinds of paint layers, and had been customized, plus it was a stripped autocross car for awhile. Following the trail of clues, which include a Gurney car, a Harry Mann car, the existence of Norm Burger, that leads me to my synopsis. The Candido Candi car mystery of mine was solved, and is not a factor in the Riverside 7. OK, the elephant in the room is the Harry Mann car fate and status. I do think they had a little accident, causing them to skip Riverside, and then Mickey needed cars, as he just brought Krause aboard, and needed a second race car prior to the November Pomona, but Krause did not sign in time, so the car was first raced by Al Gunther for the Mickey Thompson team.

Backing up to November 1962 at Pomona, Mickey Thompson entered two cars (Silver and Daytona Blue), and one new C2 Z06 by Norm Burger (White)

It looks like the FIA guys (maybe this actually was one car to FIA and one car to SCCA), but two received for inspections of the 1963 Z06 model, a Silver and a white one. It looks like the 2nd White Don Steves Riverside entered car for Dan Gurney was the white one that went thru inspection, to allow the entrants.

Puerto Rico 1962 (Dick Thompson, Grady Davis owner).

Here is the grid for that All Corvette race in Puerto Rico 11/10/1962, and I dont see this car lined up, and it was because Candi was an Amateur. The front row has Thompson, Yenko, and Bob Brown in his C1, prior to him getting his 1963 Z06, and I can ID the other cars. I also looked thru race pictures for this Candi car, and he was entered in one of the Amateur races.

12/1-10/1962 9th Annual Carnival of Speed; Nassau, Bahamas (not to be confused with the Nassau GP ran in September this year.

The Silver car shipped from Chevrolet for the Brake and Tire test in Mid-December 1962. They also planned to rent the track again for January, the AMA Ban from Donner the GM President, caused that to be cancelled. For this December test, there were three cars there, the Prototype Grand Sport in White, the Silver Z06 wearing the upgraded drum brakes, and an engineering Production model wearing disc brakes. These were not the Mickey Thompson Team cars.

The NASCAR guys originally thought to run one NASCAR engined Corvette to test the new never raced 427 MKII engine to get around the Practice restrictions for the Daytona 500 (The GM guys working on this new engine, had a quick tune test of the 427 MKII in a NASCAR Sedan, then that car did a drag test at Indianapolis Raceway Park, but went to the Proving Grounds for Development prior to Daytona anything, but that was it). They wanted to hide this 427 race testing from NASCAR scrutinizing, so hid this under the Mickey Thompson operation, in the two special built Corvettes. Thus they called Mickey! During that conversation, Mickey was bringing two FIA legal cars to Daytona (#008 Dark Blue & #809 Silver). He said he could get another one. I think he called Don Steves having #684 and #787, but sold to Norm Burger, Harry Mann #809, Norm Burger who ran his against Thompson at Pomona, November 1962. Reinhart (Cochran & Celli? Not associated yet, Factory pickup), Grant (Alan Green), and Bondurant (Washburn) weren't going to give up theirs. Harry Mann crashed one, Mickey was hungry for cars so acquired #809.

Insert Photo ( Grid pic of Continental)

Four cars decaled to Mickey Thompson, three pictured, along with the FIA Dick Lang car.

OK, Vince Piggens claimed to have got one. Who would say the Head of GM couldn't get one.

VIN COLOR TRIM (FIRST RACE DRIVERS)
DEALERSHIP; CITY, STATE
NOTES

OK, now for the 1963 Z06 Registry

Job #03809 (not Vin). SILVER/BLACK believed to be a Pilot Line car.
Factory?
Note: Prototype car, I believe for more competition package testing. Bob Clift's brake mule!!!!!

This is proving out to be the car sent down to Sebring for testing in December 1962. Three cars were there- Grand Sport Prototype, I believe this car #3809 with re-engineered Competition brakes (the fix), and an Engineering Production car fitted with Disc brakes (non-Z06).

00008 DAYTONA BLUE/ DARK BLUE 8/?/1962
GM Engineering to Mickey Thompson Enterprises; Long Beach, CA
Note: This Pre-Production car was shipped out to California for Brake testing and development housed and serviced by Mickey Thompson Enterprise. In August, they decided to enter it in the Riverside Times Grand Prix Weekends GT Race. Thompson's operation figured out the engine was experiencing valve float, and therefore drove it on the tach, to ensure the valve train would stay together. The other three Z06 Corvettes broke, along with the sole new debut Cobra, and Doug Hooper won the event, holding off a hard charging Porsche.

00684 WHITE/ BLACK 10/1/1962
Don Steves Chevrolet (20-519); La Habra, CA
Driven by Dave MacDonald, race debut 10/13/1962 in the Times GP Weekend Undercard GT event.
Notes: Claimed to be the first production Z06 and raced at Riverside, October 1962. Picked up at the Factory and driven back to California. MacDonald in that first race, lost time due to a loose distributor wire, and was put out of the race by losing a rear tire.

00787 WHITE/BLACK 10/1/1962
Don Steves Chevrolet; La Habra, CA.
Entered for Dan Gurney in the 10/13/1962 Times GP Weekend undercard GT event. Sold to and driven by Norm Burger, race debut 11/17/1962 Pomona Event.
Note: When Mickey Thompson needed to source cars, this car was used for the 427 MK-II engine installation used for the 2/16/1963 American Challege Cup GT undercard race at Daytona Speed Week. The car was returned to Norm Burger, with 327 FI engine reinstalled. The car went on to compete in open Non-SCCA libre type events. It was used in Autocross competition. THIS IS A PICTURE OF NORM BURGER with the White Z06, in an article he wrote for Hot Rod Magazine.
Here is the rear end (Mickey Thompson Diff) on the orange car he and a partner did a deal on around 1976 (I think Tom passed on the car round one, but ended up getting it to compete in a BP class, brokered through one of my old friends, Andy Porterfield RIP, who helped Norm sell it. I personally think this is the White 427 car, and not the Silver! Where does the White car come from? Coincidence, but Norm Burger had this car after Daytona, so maybe he already owned it. When Chevrolet pulled the plug, Norm Burger bought a Silver car from Mickey Thompson, getting first shot at it after Daytona. Norma's cars, at the time of these pictures.

00701 WHITE/ BLACK
Alan Green Chevrolet; Seattle, WA
Driven by Jerry Grant, race debut 10/13/1962 Times GP Weekend undercard GT event..
Note: Grant DNF'd in the first outing from Engine problems.

00809 SILVER/ BLACK
Harry Mann Chevrolet; Los Angeles, CA
Entered for Breskovich in the 10/13/1962 Times GP Weekend undercard GT event. Sold to Mickey Thompson Enterprises for Krause coming to Corvette, for the coming Grand Sports. The race debut for Krause, 11/17/1962 Pomona event.
Mickey Thompson Enterprises, Long Beach, CA.
Note: First raced Pomona, November 1962? I think this might have been the Harry Mann Chevrolet car. Chevrolet put out a batch of these, and this car, might have been acquired by Thompson, and was first raced at Pomona, November 1962.

00813 SILVER-BLUE/ BLUE
Washburn Chevrolet; Santa Barbara, CA.
Driven by Bob Bondurant, race debut 10/13/1962 in the Times GP Weekend Undercard GT event.
Note: Raced at Riverside, and DNF'd in this first outing from Engine problems also.

00875 WHITE/ BLUE 10/3/1962.
GM for foreign export. Shipped from New York to Caribe Motors, Puerto Rico..
Driven by Candido Higuera, race debut 11/3- 11/11 Puerto Rico GP.
Note: Claimed the priority for the Z06 brakes parts, was the Riverside Event cars. It arrived in time for race entry, but without the Z06 brakes, running against the new Grady Davis Z06 (Thompson) and the team C1 (Yenko). Part of this story needs researching, as the later serial number car for Dick Thompson had the brakes. The Reinhart car was also claimed to have been shipped without the Z06 brakes also. The people writing this history have an error stating the Cochran & Celli Team were not very entered for the 10/13/1962 Riverside event. That getting the brakes, was less time sensitive. I think they have the Reinhart car mixed up with the team car for Sherwood known to not be entered for Riverside, and known to have been received without Z06 brakes. I think Mr. Higuera just thought he had the same top new racer, as Grady Davis. I found a note that the Yenko Z06 might not have ran, as the Z06 brakes were stripped off of their second Z06, for the Puerto Rican driving star's car. Still researching this!

00895 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLACK 10/3/1962
Cochran & Celli Chevrolet; Oakland, CA.
Driven by Paul Reinhart, race debut 1/?/1963 Vacaville Norcal SCCA National.
Note: The Team skipped the Riverside race, because the Team car was not ready??? Still researching.

Next Batch of 6 of 20, believed built prior to December 18, 1963?

02124 WHITE/ RED 10/22/1962
Nickey Chevrolet; Chicago, IL
Driven by AJ Foyt/Jim Hurtibise, and Bob Johnson, race debut 2/16/1963 American Challenge Cup GT race at Daytona Speed Week.
Note: First raced at Daytona, February 1963?

02227 WHITE/ BLUE 10/24/1962
Yenko Chevrolet; Canonsburg, PA
Driven by Dick Thompson, raced debut 11/3-11/1962 Puerto Rico.

02244 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE. 10/24/1962
Yenko Chevrolet; Cannonburg, PA
Driven by Don Yenko, Ed Lowther, race debut
Note:

02830 Under consideration, was Vince Piggens car, he was the Manager of Chevrolet Product Performance.

????? Missing car from Ed Catrell, appeared at Nassau in early Dec 1962 (#79) Front, might be Red.

????? Missing car from Bob Kingham, appeared at Nassau in early Dec 1962 (#89) Back, might be Daytona Blue.

​​​​​Then 14 more cars prior to Daytona? As you see, the count of thought to be 1963 Z06 is alot higher? We have 30 on this list, which might be a problem, or might not be a problem, depending on how you interpret the statement,, related to Daytona entry..

IMPORTANT: 06208 First of the 1963 year cars.

06275 STOLEN, parts ended up on another car claimed to be a Z06 (9331).

06553 Red/Black (Dick Lang) 01/10/63
Lang Chevrolet; Xenia, Ohio
Driven by Dick Lang, race debut 1/16/1963 American Challenge Cup GT Race.
Note: Also entered in the 1963 Daytona Continental 1/17/1963.

06577 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE 1/10/1963
Delmo Johnson Chevrolet; Dallas,TX
Driven by Delmo Johnson/Dave Morgan, race debut 3/23/1963 Sebring 12 Hours.

06669 SILVER/RED (AW Joslin) 1/11/1963
MacGillivvoy Chevrolet; Haslett, MI
Note:

06753 SILVER/BLACK
Note found one source it was RED

06844 WHTE/ BLUE (Mickey Thompson personal) 01/14/1963
​​​​​Don Steves Chevrolet; La Habra, CA
Note:

06965 SILVER-BLUE/ BLUE 1/16/1963
Yenko Chevrolet; Canonsburg, PA

07141 SILVER-BLUE/ BLUE

07279 DAYTONA BLUE/RED 1/25/1963

07999 RIVERSIDE RED/WHITE
Clay Motors; Manchester, KT

08065 RED/ RED 2/2/1963
Schultz Chevrolet Company; Alpena, MI

08116 DAYTONA BLUE/ SADDLE 2/2/1963

08129 SILVER/BLACK 2/4/1963
Code 20 Zone Chevrolet Los Angeles Zone Office I will pull up the true code. I should have it.
Notes: Found having been sitting since the 1970's with square taillights, had raced at Pikes Peak.

08158 RED/ RED 2/4/1963
​​Note: claimed association with AJ Foyt?

08180 SILVER/
Jones Chevrolet, Dallas, GA
Note: Still research, might be moved to researching section.

08248 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE 2/5/1963

08334 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE 2/6/1963

08435 SADDLE TAN/SADDLE 2/8/1963
Zone 6 Code 229
Note: Stolen 1967, found cut up.

08453. DAYTONA BLUE/SADDLE 2/8/1963
Zone 32 Code 575
Note:

08467 SILVER/ BLACK 2/8/1963
Driven by Matt Reuan? Look up the spelling in the race records, race debut

08476 SILVER/ BLACK

08510 SILVER/BLACK

08562 SILVER/ BLACK

08624 SADDLE/ SADDLE

08689 WHITE/SADDLE
Jack Townsend Chevrolet (); Ithaca, NY

08672 SILVER/ BLACK 02/12/1963
Jim Connell Chevrolet (28-093); East Cleveland, OH

08802 SILVER/ BLACK
Nickey Chevrolet; Chicago, IL

08834 SILVER/ DARK BLUE 2/14/1963
Zone 44 Code 84
Note: Believed to be COPO ordered.

08848 SILVER/ RED 2/14/1963
Atzenhoffer Chevrolet; Victoria, TX

08863 RED/ RED

08915 SILVER/ RED

08956 WHITE/ SADDLE

09008 RED/BLACK

09046 SILVER/ BLACK 2/16/1963
Kardon Chevrolet; Mt. Holly, NJ

FEBRUARY 17th, 1963. DAYTONA CONTINENTAL RACE (more entries pending when I have time to finish).
​​​Entrants in the Daytona Continental were:
​Doug Hooper (1st Batch Car)

​​​Bill Krause (1st Batch Car)

AJ Foyt

Etc. Will finish this list later.

Mystery Motor Sliver Car (Development Car) tested, DNS, did not conform to the rules. They ran it just to get time on the 427 engine, in preparation for the Daytona 500 Stock Car race.

Mystery Motor White Car (1st Batch Car) tested, DNS, did not conform to the Rules. They ran it just to get time on the 427 engine, in preparation for the Daytona 500 Stock Car race.

09054 SILVER-BLUE/ BLUE

09085 SILVER-BLUE/ BLACK

09104 SILVER/BLACK

09126 Wrecked?

09158 SILVER/RED

09268 DAYTONA BLUE/TAN Kurdy Chevrolet; Richmond, IN.

09281 BLACK/BLACK 2/20/1963
Zone 20-379
Driven by AW Joslin & Rig?, race debut
pic?

09293 BLACK/ BLACK
Gene Hamilton Chevrolet (44-188?); Warren, MI

09301 SILVER/BLACK 2/21/1963
Zone 57 Code 032

09324 SADDLE/ SADDLE 2/21/1963
Robert's Chevrolet (27-219); Hicksville, NY
Note: Owned during it's lifetime by my Dad's friend Otis Chandler, LA Times Owner

09344 WHITE/RED. 02/21/63
Z Frank Inc (11-223).; Chicago, IL
Notes: At Proteam, looking for information.

09366 DAYTONA BLUE/DK BLUE (Dave Morgan, Bill McLaughlan Racer)
Zone 7 Code 379

09367 BLACK/RED

09390 BLACK/RED

09403 SILVER/DK BLUE 2/22/1963

09413 BLACK/SADDLE

09420 SILVER/ BLACK

09429 SILVER/ BLACK

09473 WHITE/BLACK

09493 DAYTONA BLUE/BLUE

09529 SILVER/ BLACK

09586 SADDLE TAN/SADDLE

09609 SILVER/ BLUE

09618 SILVER BLUE/BLUE

09636 RED/BLACK

09711 BLACK/ BLACK

09866 STOLEN

10192 BLACK/ BLACK

10255 SILVER BLUE/DK BLUE 3/7/1963

March 23, 1963 Sebring 12 Hour FIA Endurance Race

12830 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE

13148 DAYTONA BLUE/BLUE

13292 SILVER/ BLACK

13702 WHITE/ RED

13964 WHITE/ BLACK 4/29/1963
Note: Jalbert bought to race, never raced?

14019 SILVER/ BLUE 4/29/1963
Hensley Chevrolet; Horse Cave, KY

14065 SILVER/ BLACK

14095 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE

14294 SADDLE TAN/SADDLE 5/2/1963
Note: In Sweden

14362 RED/ BLACK

14392 RED/BLACK 5/2/1963
Note: Small Tank

14581 RED/BLACK

14809 BLACK/ RED

14931 DAYTONA BLUE/BLUE 5/11/1963
Note: Export car to Australia

15033 SILVER/ BLACK

15092 WHITE/ SADDLE 5/13/1963
​​​​Ernie Porter Chevrolet (20-407); Pasadena, CA
Note: believed to have competed. Will check if I can get a name. I might even have a 1965 vintaye picture of it.

15624 RED/RED

15675 TAN/TAN 5/21/1963
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor.../16004_front_3
_4_web_b41cfe6828c391d37e520e83aad1ee857 cb80051.jpg

15727 BLACK/BLACK (Don Johnson) 5/23/1963?
Bud Gage Chevrolet; Knockoff, IN

15727 SILVER BLUE/ BLUE? Check were I got this entry.

16878 SILVER/ BLACK

16946 SILVER BLUE/ BLACK. 6/8/1963

17100 SILVER/RED

17140 SILVER/ RED

17267 WHITE/BLACK

17511 RED/ BLACK 6/15/1963 Ordered thru Dealership Rochester, NY (Factory Pickup)
Raced by Jack Moore

17573 WHITE/BLACK

17647 White/. Yenko Chevrolet ?

17687 DAYTONA BLUE/DARK BLUE 6/18/1963

17742 RED/BLACK

17983 BLACK/BLACK

18890 RED/ BLACK

19350 DAYTONA BLUE/BLUE

19367 BLACK/RED. 7/11/1963
Star Chevrolet; East Orange, NJ (35-301)
Race Driven Bill McDougall, race debut

19396 SILVER/ RED

19568 SILVER/BLACK

20130 SADDLE TAN/SADDLE

20138 RED/BLACK 7/20/1963

20301 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLUE

20377 RED/BLACK
Jack Schwartz Chevrolet; Elizabeth, IL

20678 WHITE/BLACK 7/27/1963
Columbus, TX Note found mention of BLACK

21044 WHITE/RED

CARS TO RESEARCH FURTHER (sometimes it could very well be a true Z06, it has just enough clues, but maybe someone landed on the wrong car, ownership, race record, etc. :

00689 DAYTONA BLUE/ BLACK
This car was found burnt up, and someone but a new chassis under it, and eventually replaced the body is what is thought, put the Fuel Injection and Distributor on it from #008, and tried to pass it off as Doug Hooper's Riverside Winner. The car hasn't been seen in awhile.

00008?? BLACK/ BLACK
Cochrane & Celli Chevrolet; Oakland, CA
Driven by Bill Sherwood, race debut I think was Vacaville, but checking.
Note: This car is believed to be a low 800 series Vin number. The Reinhart car was out and running, a Daytona Blue car. That is serial number #895, so that makes this an earlier car, or it is 896-899 in vin. I think from what I read, it was built up from spares shipped to that dealership.

05154 SILVER/ BLACK 12/18/1963
Note: Potentially the last car, prior to the Change-over policies. This car found with power steering which got it moved here, for further research.

06709 Red

09331 SILVER/ BLACK 2/21/1963 Researching!
TANK REMOVED?, now Red Interior Tag Star Chevrolet, Reproduction Window Sticker says Lujack Schierbrock Chevrolet Davenport, LA. Nice reproduction? Super nice car, I would own it! Claimed raced by Clarence Skip Sofield

14083 RED/ BLACK 4/30/1963 BF Chevrolet; Commack, NY
Note:

Other cars researching

03022 Exploring the history

0???? Robert Brown to Doc Wyllie, parts used from the crash damage of this car, for car #3070.

0???? Johnny Allen

????? Ralph Salyer

????? Al Daniels

????? Pat McElreath

????? Scott Briley

????? Gary Morgan

????? Wright Horn

????? Roy Kumnick

????? Gene Cormany

????? Gordon Butler

????? Marvin Schoenfeld, lightened with a GS look.

????? Ben Moore

Whelan? I think this wasn't a fuelie car

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-25-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:00 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1966 Corvette HD

Pending more work
66-1. Proving Grounds car- Press Display Car
Car & Driver 1965:

Also, I was wondering if you have seen this 1967 'preproduction' L88 engine in the past (recently released from the GM archives).

66-2. Vin # 194376s110556 Born 01/10/66. Penske Chevrolet, Factory Pickup!

Sebring 1966 - Car #9:

66-3. Car to be delivered to Yenko, but stolen by the transferring dealership, causing Yenko to have to drive a Volvo! Was it Red, and the thief from Mexico? I would buy that story, if we can make a link! Also refer to the Whim car below!

66-4. Vin # 194376s122940 Born 05/31/66 Yenko Chevrolet Best Photo Mike Summers #45 (thru Yenko Chevrolet during his semi-retired period, when he was building his business and brand- using the COPO program).

66-5 Washburn Chevrolet.

66-7. Vin #194376s112243 Born 01/27/66. Alan Green Chevrolet car Gary Grove (Solid car, believed to be built up from an Engine shipped loosely bolted, not torqued together with the special parts, to be built at the race teams discretion. This was similarly done with Bill Thomas, Traco, Smokey Yunick, Yenko, Nickey, Bill Jenkins. Thus they could lighten, balance, blueprint, port, debut, radius, clearance, torque, etc etc their build based on their expertise.

66-8. Vin # 194676s113786 Born 02/12/66. Gordon Wilson Chevrolet In Team car (Solid car, believed to be built up from kit)

66-9. Vin # 194376s116714 Born 03/17/66. Slaton Chevrolet car (Heinz). SCCA/FIA Racer. (Solid car, unsure whether line or kit built)
Many think this might be the Penske car!!!!!!!!!The AP car this might be a 1965 car. Checking! Maybe the same Heinz car above, with Oseid.

66-10. Vin # Doug Hooper/Ozzie Pohl (Doug was my friend, said it was one. I think they got it from Harry Mann.

Darn friggen L88, get out of my way! PS not the same car, I just like the picture!

66-11. Vin # Or Costanzo/Dave McClain/Gene Guy (Solid car, unsure whether line or kit built)

66-12. Vin # Rex Ramsey This Car was one of the fastest, but I think he got ahold of the kit parts, and built it up himself! I am pulling all the old articles out. PS Hooper and Ramsey were competing on the track against each other, so it can't be the Hooper car. I have to find a picture without the Copyright, but here is the squished down collectors for HD cars. He obviously switched to the Kustom pipes later, so this is a rare shot of it, as first raced. Looks like an HD car to me. I do have to move it up, and might have to bump something off. Trying to justify whether I do that. There is one car above, in the top 13, where I found something I really didn't like.

66-13. Vin # Gorries Chevrolet car (Canada). I want to try to get a picture up for all of these. The 1966 car I honestly need to see if I can locate it. I have as good a shot of finding records of it, as anyone in the Country. Here is the 1965 1st M22 car and general racing shots I think containing both the 1965/66 seasons just for something to post. Enjoy! I moved this to last place, as I only remember stories of this dealership related to this topic. I have to find those. There 1965 car did receive the Upgrades to HD. I suspect that they would have did the same to the following seasons car.

Maybe this is it??????

Coming soon— parts!

Cars that people think may be HD cars, with M22 or without M22?, still checking these out.

66-14. Vin # Restoration Book Car (IK code)
As the book has no other data under the other relevant data sections! I tend to think someone was just trying to be a clown. I will try to see what I can dig up on this one! Poor evidence, as just going on the Restoration Authors replies to his survey.

66-15. Vin # 194676s123839. Born 06/10/66. Frank Fahey Racer #17 some think it is, I haven’t really checked this car out. It is a well known racer out here on the West Coast. I do believe this is Doug Hoopers old car. I will have to cross check the Socal and Norcal, Doug's history and events in this car with Fahey's history and events in this car. This Vin is pretty late!!!!!!!! And therefore suspect! If it ain’t Hoopers car and that late Vin is a pretty damn good disqualifier, then it was probably built up from parts, but not a Zora sent out kit! He was a NCCA Slalom guy 1960s (I should verifyvthst, as going off memory). His primary racing exploits started in the 1970s. I haven’t traditional broken down SCCA level race histories outside of the Region 19 Socal Scene, but can do so for most every region Nationals only! Regional level, the records are too sparse, no real newspaper coverage either.

Researching the Green appearing car in the background?

66-16. Vin # 194376s123329 Born
Capital Chevrolet; Nashville, TN (Arutunoff)
White/Black Hood currently
​​​​Claimed Exported to be raced. I have my doubts coming out of Nashville. Has every claimed important Option code. One of those too good to be true cars!

66-17. Dave Rex claimed L88 Prototype. He owned a shop with Bill Morrison! With no research, I know he ran an A/SR car in the 1970s , in the early 2000s he had a 1964 that had 65/66 side vents, but that was a small block car. A big block was fitted in that for a period, and I think in the more current, it has a small block. I know I have pictures of these. I have to go back further to study his race record and compare those to the cars to know. I do expect someone else will probably be far more studied on his history than me. I might just see if I can view the Race Car Registry to see what they write. Sometimes that helps me. I can weed thru most of those histories and see what I like and don't like. I know the Owner's of the cars supply the those histories.Very notable racer, legendary long term competition history, but I just don't know if it was an actual HD car. They were innovative, and I am sure they upgraded to make their rides faster, as evidenced by the A/SR classification.

Cars upgraded to HD spec, but did not have the M22, or were later upgraded to the M22.

66-18. Vin # 194376s117785 Born 03/29/66. Scuncio Chevrolet car (Bergen/Johnson) Claimed converted to L88 spec, and which is what those shipped out kits did! It had an M-21 thou.

66-19. Vin # 194376s120374 Born 04/28/66. (Swiss Racer 1 of 2 cars this team had. They also had the 1965 car) Factory to Penske Chevrolet car. This car is driving me crazy! Prepped by Penske and shipped to Germany (Wermelinger) This car has been over here for awhile, formerly in the collection of K. Suydan. I am removing this very notable racer as a true HD pre-L88 engined car, but feel the M22 is solid. I do think Penske, race prepped this car, but didn't go through the engine, before shipping it out.But then according to the story, it might have been built on the line with an L88 according to markings found. I threw out the L88 thoughts, as I don’t think the Aluminum head problem was solved yet!, and to release it over to Europe. I am trying to find anything to validate that they had a successful aluminum test yet! The Mule car claimed to go out late in the model year for an aluminum head test, exactly at the time frame this car was getting shipped out! I will check all of the dates! I bet the L88 was pulled out, not ready. I am also going back to the FIA paperwork, the Homologation dates and for what to see if it was FIA legal that early!

Picture while in the Suydam collection.

OK I ADDED THIS FROM A PAST SHARE BY JIM G (older share from the European Owners, prior to its sell here).
1966 Corvette M22-( L88 Prototype)
Exported to Europa for Testing
Owned by: Rolf & Petra Gersch
Mainz-Kastel Germany

The 1966 Big Tank Big Brake Big Block VIN 194376S120374
M 22 Transmission No. 38844694 sold with L88 Engine is the secound build Car with Prototype Engine.
We found on Top of the Transmission also L 88/M
We found Front and Rear Shop Order No.39 and N0 3.
This was changed on the Assembly Line to 16A before the Special Engine come in. All the Marks are still Original on the Car.
Mr. Wermelinger, a GM Sales Person from Auto Koch Luzern was the first Owner from Switzerland. He ordered the Car thru Roger Penske at a Chevrolet Dealer Meeting in New York. Penske/Guldstrand did the Race Preparation with 7 1/2 x15 Magnesium Wheels, before Shipment for Export to Europa.
RACE RECORD
03.07. 1966 Bergpreis Ostschweiz Oberhallau first Win agains Ferrari.
1967 Rundstreckenrennen Hockenheim Germany first Place
1967 Invited to Le Mans France but broke Engine in Practice and was a DNF.
Many other races in 1967-60 era. NEVER DAMAGED.

After 30 Years Rolf Gersch found 2002 the Car in Switzerland again
and bought it.
2004 we found an Traco Engine and put his in.
The Car drove from 2003 to 2013 over 15 Races in Germany and
Switzerland also it is unbelievable that we have a Race Car with no big
accidents. The complete Body is still Original.
Now we are happy that we can Show the Car first Time in USA,
in his Racing Condition but unrestored.

Rolf & Petra Gersch[/QUOTE]

Now will add the modern RCR posted summary.

Cars that look to be solidly M22 cars, but not necessarily with the full HD mods.

66-20. Vin #194376s110192 1966 Daytona Racer #67 Cornelius, Boo, Brown Axle 3.36. Penske HD Prototype L88 turned 2:10 a lap at Sebring, and their time was 2:28.

66-21. Red Convertible NCRS certified car? Hawkins Harp?? I think NCRS would stupidly certify anything with aluminum heads and any M22 claimed installed! I am skeptical. Plus so have never seen the NCRS bring aluminum lightweight jacks to use for judging, as they move down a row of cars! How come they don’t use jacks?

Other cars I am checking out!

66-22. Yellow Convertible

66-23. R. Senchyna 1966 White Car L88, M22?

And you guys should know by now, when I say sketchy it is only meant that I am not thinking rare HD car! But you can see that these are super great cars. Like the Dave Rex, one of the longest runs in Corvette racing! They were legends!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:01 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1967 Corvette L88

1967 CHEVROLET CORVETTE L88 (20 Total)

For years and years the basis for the 20 L88 cars has been 20 known engines, but the Model had mandatory Option Codes. I am tending to allow the validation of the first cars in the 20 count, even though built up from essentially parts kits in the same mode as was done with the 1966 HD Cars. The funny thing is 20 minus 4 leaves us at 16 cars, a number used for years, clear to the latter 1970s as the true L88 production count. Thus also for years, there was confusion related to these being thought of as the sole aluminum headed cars, the L89 thought to be Aluminum headed L88s.

Also removed from the L88 list of 20 cars, is the Silver Coupe #110055, as too early to be the first production L88, built prior to the Production Prototype #110702, the true second car built. This car was found very early on, when the fame and rarity of the L88 arose again in the 1970s. This Silver Coupe was found without it's engine, but with the story of the Aluminum heads.
The first prior recognized L89, is the Green car #110127. If you notice the very close Vin numbers and why I think the #110055 is the first true L89 (Mistaken Identity, thus I removed it from the list).

L88 67-1 (L88 Parts assembled, known as the Delorenzo Car)
Vin# 194677S109097 TUXEDO BLACK/BLACK CONVERTIBLE 3.70 Born 1/26/1967 (Hanley Dawson Chevrolet; Detroit, MI)
Note: It appears the Delorenzo car was built up from the approved L88 parts, mimicking the Racer Kit program for the 1966 HD cars. This was a true out the back door Factory Race car, due to all of the inside connections that made this car happen. I think Delorenzo got a car, then the kit parts as he claims built it, had it at home. Their are other stories, many different versions on this car, that Dawson of the dealership bought it for him, part of the sponsorship that would include a matching tow Suburban and trailer. That it was delivered to the dealership, immediately worked on and entered to race at Wilmot event May 1967. So that creats a near 100 day lapse in history from built to raced. I will stick with my notion it was a kit built L88, just like the Best Photo 1966 car thru Yenko.
Nicknamed the Black Knight.

History- The Yenko car made it to the track, prior to Delorenzo's car.

L88 67-2 (L88 Production Prototype)
Vin# 194377S110702 194377-00-IT-EX.702 GOODWOOD GREEN/BLACK COUPE (Rathman Chevrolet Melbourne FL)
Note: This car was built without the J-56 brakes. Towers added J-56 in the 1970s! build without J-56.
Now the Green Prototype makes sense. They fit parts to the Delorenzo car, the first one for racing, but then this Prototype was built to test the model for production. Thus while they were still attempting to finalize this model (aluminum head issues the primary problem), they got L88 kit parts out the door to two operations to race (Yenko Chevrolet & Dana Chevrolet).

L88 67-3 (I thought built up from L88 kit of parts, but Morgan says he was at St. Louis plant where it was escorted in getting built)
Vin# 194377S112805 ERMINE WHITE/BLACK COUPE Born (Yenko Chevrolet; Cannonsburg, PA)
Note: This is the first of the 1967 L88s to race appearing at the 12 Hours of Sebring. A special 2.60 rear axle was installed immediately after deliver. The 2.60 gearing has allowed a tested 194 mph top speed recorded. Would be a January built car!

L88 67-4 (built up from Kit of L88 Parts, known as the LeMans Racer)
Vin# 194377S113787 ERMINE WHITE/BLACK COUPE Born (Dana Chevrolet; South Gate, CA)
Note: The first picture was the car converted, with Guldstrand drilling hood pins, when it wore a skunk stripe! Would be a February built car.

I had limitedly have shared this picture of Guldstrand from private photos I have, but eventually I posted this private picture to raise eyebrows! Essentially as a multiple Dana Chevrolet car Owner myself, Dana is one of my favorite histories to play with and document. You will notice the skunk stripe! True on occasion, especially in the C3 day’s Zora would stripe one, but this came into the dealership and was to be flipped to an SCCSCC customer, and the customer touches were done. When this idea came up, this was the most capable chassis in the stable. Thus they went to work on it.

L88 67-5 (The First True Production L88)
Vin# 194677S115484 PEARL SILVER/BLACK ROADSTER 3.70 (Commonwealth Chevrolet; Boston, MA)
Note: Claimed to be from a Massachusetts Dealership, but was discovered as a California car by an Oregon Restauranteur! This car is in the Noland Adams Restoration book, pictured with the California License Plates Built claimed April 3rd, 1967 matching a previous Owners birthday, but I have it as a March built car..

L88 67-6
Vin# 194377S115791 Rally Red on Red Coupe 4.56 Born (Mike Savoie Chevrolet; Troy, MI)

L88 67-7 (known as the 12 Mile Racer)
Vin# 194377S116945 RALLY RED/BLACK COUPE 4.56 Born (Alan Green; Seattle, WA)
Note: Found with the original engine.

From on old post of mine, copied here!!! From Ed's catalog. Hey Ed enjoy if you are looking in! OOPS! Everyone calls it the 12 Mile car, but from the Lincoln catalog, it should be the 11 Mile car! I will correct my list!

I would love to see a colored shot of his car if at all possible! The Corvette Elite forget about someone like ED! Who should be inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame or Owner’s of this car listed up in the Registry, but forgot about Ed. They have alot of guys with way less substantial histories inducted, should I name a bunch of them?????

L88 67-8
Vin# 194377S117055 Ermine White Coupe 3.55 (Code 43, possibly Goodwin or O'Conner Chevrolet; Massachusetts if I remember correctly)

L88 67-9
Vin# 104377S117076 Marina Blue Coupe 4.11 Born (Bast Chevrolet, Seaford, NY)
Note: ordered on 1/16/1967. I question the Stinger color, based on the old racing shot!

L88 67-10 (known as the SCCA Racer)
Vin# 194677S117527 Marina Blue Roadster 3.55 (Dana Chevrolet; South Gate, CA)
Note: Ordered by Guldstrand for himself, but it sold to an enthusiast.

L88 67-11
Vin# 194677S118414 Marlboro Maroon Roadster 4.11 (Lyman Stack Chevrolet; Portland, OR)

L88 67-12
Vin# 194677S118426 Lyndale Blue Roadster 4.11 Born (DeHaven Chevrolet; Fort Wayne, IN)

L88 67-13
Vin# 194377S119136 Sunfire Yellow Coupe 4.56 Born (S&K Chevrolet; Vallejo, CA)
Note: This would have been a May built car.

L88 67-14
Vin# 194377S120407 Ermine White Coupe 4.56 Born (Curtis Chevrolet, Washington DC)

L88 67-15
Vin# 194677S121550 Ermine White Roadster 4.11 Born (Factory Delivered)
Note: Last car delivered. Sold 6/22/1967. This would have been a June built car.

L88 67-16 (known as the King Hussein Car)
[Vin# 194677S121558 Ermine White Roadster Born (Factory Delivered)
Note: King Hussein Car was lost in an accident. It was crashed by a Relative on his way to the Red Sea on holiday! It was the last car delivered 6/22/1967.

Still can’t find a picture of this car, but King Hussein loves anything with a motor.

L88 67-17
Vin# 194677S122014 Tuxedo Black Coupe 4.56 (Lang Chevrolet; Fairborn, Ohio) Claimed to be the last car born on 7/7/1967, but this was when no higher Vin was known. The Green on Green car was being researched. This would have been built at the end of June. Had this an Xenia, Ohio, but Faiborn shows on paperwork.

L88 67-18
Vin#194377S122334 Goodwood Green on Green Coupe 4.11 sold out of Vette Vues by a Andy Affrica of Clarion, PA during the mid 1970s.
You guys be the judge! The side exhaust were pretty distinct and to mention those is telling!

L88 67-19
Vin# 194677s113??? MARLBORO MAROON/BLACK CONVERTIBLE

Ok Investors scurry!
I have a few back ups ready to go, just in case! This is new and could replace one on the list, but I believe another racer I have my eye on, could replace a known car on the list and there is another Canadian car that I have been thinking of as a possible real car, and one from Puerto Rico is thought by many to be a real one, listed with the Race car Regustry.
Heck David Crane of San Diego remembers having a 1967 with an L88, but my notes have that car as an engine dropped built car in about November 1967.

I do think three of the racers were built up from L88 kit parts shipped out, meaning those are built up cars! Even the Delorenzo car is suspect as whether a real production one, as it was built in a December of 1966, but not released until a month later so suspect! Something was happening with that car!

I will try to post up from in the 1970s, the article where they thought the count was 20 total minus (16) L89 cars, leaving only (4) L88 Race Cars (Delorenzo, Yenko DX, LeMans, Dana Racer!). The #89 racer Vin #550 was thought to be faked, lawsuit stuff was happening between the group that found it, etc. The Bast Chevrolet car’s racing record had been forgotten by the experts back in the 1970s.

2010- Many thought only 14 survived.

2012- Kevin Mackay gave an interview that 17 cars have been found. I forgot to mention that here in 2019, we are still at 17 cars!

2019- some of these cars might not have gotten M22 (it was thought to be mandatory, and might have had a street version of the aluminum head in the non-racers (same casting though!).

1967 CORVETTE L-89 (16 cars) I NEED TO DO MORE WORK, PENDING

L89 67-1
Vin#194377S110055 PEARL SILVER/BLACK COUPE 4.56 Born 02/07/1967 (Rosenthal Chevrolet; Arlington, VA.)
Notes: This car is claimed to be the 1st Production L88 by the so called Experts. I don't think so, as it pre-dates the #702 Prototype car. Also in the picture is the Silver Roadster that is pictured extensively in the Noland C2 Book, I firmly believe is the first true Production L88, thus Silver car too, and why the Coupe was mistakenly thought to be an L88. Talk was of a Silver one being the first, the L88 was the Roadster, and L89 was this coupe. History is now corrected! You guys can buy me a beer later.
This car was nicknamed Quicksilver from being street & drag raced.

L89 67-2
Vin# 194677s110127 GOODWOOD GREEN/BLACK CONVERTIBLE

L89 67-3
Vin# 194677s112090 RALLY RED/BLACK CONVERTIBLE

L89 67-4
Vin# 194677s113240 MARLBORO MAROON/BLACK CONVERTIBLE

L89 67-5
Vin# 194377s115196 SUNFIRE YELLOW/BLACK-WHITE COUPE (Nischan-Spalding Chevrolet; Grand Rapid, MI) Born

L89 67-6
Vin# 194677s117466 TUXEDO BLACK/BLACK CONVERTIBLE (

L89 67-7
Vin# 194677s118300 MARLBORO MAROON/BLACK CONVERTIBLE 3.36 (Taylor Chevrolet, Inc.. Trenton, IL 03-789)

L89 67-8
Vin# 194377s118305 GOODWOOD GREEN/SADDLE TAN. COUPE.
Note: Ed Cole car.

L89 67-9
Vin# 194377s118312 MARLBORO MAROON/BLACK

Researching see notes
L89 67-10
Vin# 194377s119086 TUXEDO BLACK/BLACK COUPE
Note: Conflicting information as this car was known to be Lyndale Blue/Black-White Coupe at one time. Might need to come off the list.

L89 67-11
Vin# 194377s120294 SUNFIRE YELLOW/BLACK-WHITE COUPE

L89 67-12
Vin# 194677s121393 SILVER PEARL/BLACK. CONVERTIBLE 4.11 (Yenko Chevrolet; Canonsburg, PA) Born

L89 67-13
Vin# 194677s121397 MARLBORO MAROON/WHITE CONVERTIBLE Born June 21, 1967

L89 67-14
Vin# 194377s121797 ERMINE WHITE/RED COUPE

L89 67-15
Vin# 194677s122328 LYNDALE BLUE/WHITE & BLACK

Iron Heads? Will look into whether this is a picture of this Vin when I get around to it.

L89 67-16
Vin# 194377s122908 MARINA BLUE/BLACK COUPE

Uhm!
Vin# 194377s113522 MARINA BLUE/BLUE COUPE
Note: Highly disputed car, but still called an L89 since the 1980s, so I am checking that. An example of the pinnacle of perfection, with every big Award, but then sold for a fraction, of where these have sold. Beautiful perfect car thou!

Researching
Vin# 194377s115355 SUNFIRE YELLOW COUPE 3.55 (Barnes Chevrolet; Summit, NJ) Born
Note: From the Owner's sign--Strong word, it is "Believed to be" Ugh! Researching, as suspect. This car is off the list.

Researching
Vin# 194677s121453 RALLY RED/BLACK CONVERTIBLE (
Note: Reggie Jackson car, claimed paperwork burned up in the fire. Claims Noland looked car over after the fire.

Pictures-- I need to review first, major work to find the right car for posting a pictures.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-28-2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:01 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1963-1967 other Notable Cars

More pending.

02899 Riverside Red/Black (Gary Pickens)
Harry Mann Chevrolet; Los Angeles, CA
Note: Built up with Z06 parts. Featured in the Elvis Presley Movie- Viva Las Vegas

03070 Alan Wylie Doc/John Caley #3070, not a Z06.

03070 Doc Wylie, 3070 car built up car using prior car parts. That became a famous racer. Not a Z06.

1963 Dick Guldstrand Racer

1964 Racer

1965 Gorries Chevrolet (1st M22 car)

1967 Bob Wingate COPO

Etc. Pictures pending

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-19-2023 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NONN37 (04-14-2022)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1968-1969 Corvette L88

405120 AIR Team car #45 ( )
Factory Pick up from Gene Jantzen Chevrolet; St. Louis, MO, Ordered thru Gledhill Chevrolet; Wilmington, CA

405175 AIR Team car #44( )

405186 AIR Team Promotional Car

405797 Safari Yellow/Black Convertible
406665 LeMans car? I need to find more notes
408067 1968 LeMans car #4 (Crashed)

408332 Silver Flared w/Black Convertible
409400 White w/Black Convertible Foreign owned
410300 LeMans Car #3 Greder competed at 24 hrs of LeMans 19688-1973.

​​​The front row are the different paint schemes of this car #410300. The second row is car #706401.

410807 LeMans Blue w/Blue Convertible
410850 Polar White Blue Convertible
411010 LeMans Blue w/Blue Convertible
411031 Need to get more notes out! (Grobner IL. was the Owner)
411493 DX #3 split display car for awhile and was a White w/Black Convertible
413092 Safari Yellow w/Black
413628 International Blue w/Dark Blue Coupe
414479 LeMans Blue w/Blue Convertible
414674 British Green w/Black Convertible
415030 Cordovan Maroon w/Black? Coupe
415034 Corvette Bronze w/Orange Coupe
415053 Rally Red w/Red Coupe
415072 Rally Red w/Red Convertible (Psychodelic Barn Find-Bounty Hunter)
416535 LeMans Blue w/Med. Blue Convertible
416882 Rally Red w/Red Convertible
417433 Corvette Bronze w/Black Convertible
418866 LeMans Blue w/Med Blue Convertible
418978 Tuxedo Black w/Black Coupe
419258 ? I think Red? Have to find note (Vietro CA. was owner)
419379 Tuxedo Black w/Black Convertible
419418 Silverstone Silver w/Black Convertible
419533 Silverstone Silver w/Black Coupe
Work in progress!

900 Tuxedo Black

972 Polar White

974 Rally Red

976 LeMans Blue

978 International Blue

983 British Green

984 Safari Yellow

986 Silverstone Silver

988 Cordovan Maroon

992 Corvette Bronze

700018 Convertible
700209 Fathom Green/Saddle

706401 Daytona Yellow
​The back row shows this car and it's race paint jobs for the 24 Hrs of LeMans 1970-1975. First Driven by Greder, #2 1970 at LeMans. Sourced directly from Zora.

706723 Monza Red/Black
707371 LeMans Blue/Black
707409. Blue/Black
709884. Burgandy/Black Coupe
710154 Fathom Green/Saddle Coupe
710179 Fathom Green/Green Coupe
710186. Fathom Green/Black Coupe
710256 Riverside Gold/Black Coupe
711206. Burgandy/? Convertible
711387 Currently Blue/Black Convertible
Driven by, race debut. #8 Racer

​711739 Can Am White/? Convertible
713635 #57 Rebel Racer

713903. LeMans Blue/? Convertible
714242. Riverside Gold/Black Coupe
714664. Can Am White/Black Convertible
714904. Riverside Gold/Saddle Coupe
716164. Daytona Yellow/Black Coupe
718242. Monza Red/Black Convertible
718331 ?/? Coupe
718815 Orange/Black Coupe
719392 Tuxedo Black/Black T-Top Coupe
719537. Can Am White/Bright Blue Convertible
720068 Tuxedo Black/Black Convertible
720164. LeMans Blue/Bright Blue Coupe
720677. Silver/Black Coupe
720951 LeMans Blue/Bright Blue Coupe
721688? COPO?? No J-56???
727979 Waddel Race Car #37

737632 White w/Black Coupe
Work in progress!

900 Tuxedo Black

972 Can Am White

974 Monza Red

980 Riverside Gold

983 Fathom Green

984 Daytona Yellow

986 Cortez Silver

988 Burgandy

990 Monaco Orange

PS 714031 is not an L88! 🤭

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-14-2023 at 03:10 AM.
NONN37 (04-14-2022)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1968-on C3 Corvettes other

1973 Zora's Wide Body Corvette Prototype

Straight from Zora's Biography

Oh they quote Greenwood in these paragraphs, and they pay great respect to John, but go read the bullshit on Facebook by Burt and minion, on how John and them built and designed their racer free of Chevrolet support, that they got no money to do all of this magic, that Zora's car was a different separate project, barely associated, that none of the innovations were Zora's team (except they couldn't gloss over the body panels as homologated, and Riley is modest, but they had to give the most prominent guy his credit "that was still alive" for all of his suspension work). The Zora team did include John, but he helped give Zora advice, when I think it was more like input. Zora is the creator of the Greenwood Wide Body Corvette. Even the 1977 Silhouette racer, had very little Greenwood design, basically a ground up Riley car, Protofab guys again.

Oh did I mention that this Riley chassis, 5 linked suspensions, airheart braked, ZL-1 aluminum GM prototype beast is claimed to have been "destroyed", instead of its identity switched and rebranded Greenwood. Zora put the bad blood under the bridge, and actually in retirement rolled with these kind of chapters. The Grand Sport fame could have been taken by Grady Davis, or John Mecom, Roger Penske, all high caliber type people. A little stolen glory here and there, but the Zora Skunk works is famed by most, at least outside of a certain Facebook group!
But at a certain point in preparation to race, the Greenwood Shop had a fresh build happening, totally based on this Zora Prototype, but getting the developmental improvements from the testing of the Prototype, plus new ideas. The core of the car was GM Engineering Base, Zora building a team (which included John Greenwood).

Here is the second Wide Body, first to race chassis, based off of the Zora Wide Body Prototype.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-12-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:03 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1969 Corvette ZL1

194379s729219
Factory Sold, 00 Zone, bought by an Employee, sold to another, later shipped out to Heckler Chevrolet; Highland Springs, VA
Note: Paperwork was separated from the car, Drug bust impound, car sold at Government auction. This is believed to be the only true found actual ZL-1 in existence.

194679s710209
Infamous West Penn Garage; Leechburg, PA
Note: Paperwork has been shared and the topic of debate for years. I will post that here. Pics pending! Auto, 4.11 added.

Vin- 194379s706753
Salt Lake City, UT
Note: Paperwork not shared, I dont remember what was last said about this car. Would have to refresh read on the controversy, I got to ride in this car, while owned by my Dad's friend Otis Chandler. It definitely had a ZL-1 dropped into it in the modern. Might be real ZL-1 as per conversation with Otis, pulled, L88 installed prior to selling it.Might be the Motor Trend May 1969 tested car.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-04-2024 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:03 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1970s Corvette ZR1 & ZR2

(25) 1970 ZR1

(08) 1971 ZR1

(12) 1971 ZR2
194371s112787 Sunflower Yellow/Black

(20) 1972 ZR1

Total 65

Pending

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-11-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1970s Racers

pending

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default C3 1968-1982 Corvette Other

in case my ambition is successful

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-02-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default C3 Corvette Tuners

So what were the first special tuner Corvettes?????. The best known were the Motion Performance Phase series of cars. So why so few?, because Corvettes were already top selling cars, they generally didnt sit on the lot for long. So why were any of them done?, because some guys always have wanted something different, unique. My Anti-NCRS thread of the custom craze, was a great example of a chapter of making your car, your own personalized artist work or vision.

I took an interest in these early on,because Dad had a Drag race 1957, then a Drag raced 1964 Coupe (He got arrested racing the latter car, it was impounded). He got it back and Mom made him sell it, but what does he do? He goes to his friends Dick Guldstrand and Dale Armstrong to see what they had at Dana Chevrolet; South Gate, CA. He procrastinated at first, stopped at like Harry Mann even to test drive the 1968s. He eventually got a call from Dale, to come look at one they customized, in the mode of the Camaro offerings. He just got a work commission bonus and was able to pull the trigger. What happened was everyone was after the big blocks, so they special ordered a half dozen cars to customize, five small blocks, and one premiere Big Block is what Dale Armstrong remembered. Dale was in charge of the Camaro program, but kept getting customers asking for the same type of service for the other models, Corvettes included. The Motion stuff was making press, so they started to have similar offerings, but the demise of the Dealership happened. Essentially my Dad got a Dealership built 1968 with the speed parts of the day, essentially like the Camaro offerings they had. So a 1968 with a primer trim tag, dealership painted the base 1969 Riverside Gold, but with subtle flake added, Hooker Race sides, new Disc brake AR mags, Cal custom stuff- flyeye air cleaner, Lakewood HD stuff, J-56 brakes, and they changed to a GM 140 Z-28 racing cam, etc etc etc., but 327/350 car, tail painted in their black paint. Thus my interest in the customs, what I call Tuner cars.

Day 1 back at work on Monday after the purchase, Dad and his Dealer Custom Dana Chevrolet; South Gate, CA. Corvette.

Here we go on the wild ride:
Motion Performance (The Pinnacle)

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:26 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Greenwood

Greenwood Sebring GT

Basically John Greenwood thought of doing a Custom Street version of his Wide Body Race car. He drove one of his own creations around, as his personal ride. That was kind of development, as well as just having one of his own creations as his own personal driver.
insert pic

The John Mancuso came along, and the Sebring GT was born.
More story to come and pictures.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default and another

pending
Old 03-02-2021, 04:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default C4 Corvette Racers

pending

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:42 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default 1983-C4 Corvette Other

pending

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 09:46 PM.
NONN37 (04-14-2022)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:49 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default C4 corvette challege

for fun

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 09:39 PM.
NONN37 (04-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK

Old 03-02-2021, 04:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default reserved

more fun
NONN37 (04-14-2022)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:02 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Thanks for doing this TC. What is the red light for on top of the 63 -14 02227 WHITE/ BLUE YENKO (GRADY DAVIS-THOMPSON)?
TCracingCA (03-06-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:14 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,654 Posts

This is a major time and effort commitment.
Thank you for putting this interesting thread together.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3JsVette:
jimiezee (03-18-2021), TCracingCA (03-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK