C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:19 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I will see if I can pick at it.

Many cars will not have Vins, that I hope to post. Race cars, I am trying to think as to the cut off. Mainly going for Famous cars.

It would just be nice to have one place to go, if I find something to post or change. I always have to search for the old posts, as I put posts,all over.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:26 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by elwood13
Thanks for doing this TC. What is the red light for on top of the 63 -14 02227 WHITE/ BLUE YENKO (GRADY DAVIS-THOMPSON)?
Should be a car identifier light. So the team can spot which car at night. I actually have one of those in my stuff somewhere. Later on they used aircraft marker lights to light the numbers on the pit side only. At Sebring, the team car had a blue lensed light!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-03-2021 at 01:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
elwood13 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by elwood13
Thanks for doing this TC. What is the red light for on top of the 63 -14 02227 WHITE/ BLUE YENKO (GRADY DAVIS-THOMPSON)?
PS, High Wayne the Greenwood Sebring GT list that we were using for my hashing out the Sebring GT cars on the Greenwood group, do I have your permission to post, but won't touch the lawsuit cars. I unposted one controversial car picture already from the 1963 Z06 list, on the suggestion of a friend. It is disputed.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-04-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:27 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Bump

Expert insult of the day.

Please don't think that I am not paying attention to the interior cabin colors of those 1963 Z06 cars. The Chevrolet records on the first 15 cars, 15 cars prior to the change over around December 18-20 listed 13 cars with black interiors and 2 with blue interiors.
Well the experts have taken and expanded the claims from 2 to 4 cars with blue interiors. These guys suck. The two blue interior cars were ordered by Grady Davis and gang, Yenko, etc. Therefore the other two claiming blue interior are the Washburn Chevrolet Bondurant car #614, which currently is black inside and has been for a very long time. The car in the oldest picture in color, it is hard to tell, but I would lean toward black as the interior color.
Don Steves, a guy I spent time with in researching one of my own cars, said his team cars for Gurney and MacDonald were identical. MacDonald car is Black interior! Get it! I think to try to claim famous Z06 status, a blue interior early Vin car is now being claimed to be one of the six early cars.

Also Mickey Thompson was incensed about the brake problems, the FIA entered cars had to keep the stock brakes, but the NASCAR open to any car under 7 Liter GT Challenge race, did not have to. They did the brake test with the Silver car in December 1962, Thompson was shipped another set of those disc brakes (what everyone calls Grand Sport brakes, as a Grand Sport was there, being test too). The Z06 units came off of the white car, and disc brakes went on.
Baher Chevrolet and Guldstrand were trying to get a Z06, Guldstrand was really fun to talk to, his historical accuracy was **** poor. I was a friend, I should know. He does claim that thru his engineering prowess, that he figured a Roadster would have an advantage. He built up the roadster getting, acquiring Z06 brakes. Not many sets around, except on cars back then. He obviously got a set. I thought the crashed car by Harry Mann, might have been a source, I now to not have too many Silver cars in that first batch of cars, think #809, is the old Harry Mann ordered car. It just needed some work, and that delayed it being raced, so it showed up at Pomona in November, not at Riverside in October. Mann Chevrolet had Customer Racers, Andy Porterfield being about the only Professional Driver regularly sponsored by them (1950s clear into the 80s off and on). When I first met Andy was at Willows Springs and they I think were doing the Endurance event, with a Camaro. I was trying to get J-56 shoes, relined, approach him to ask if that did stuff like that, with old vintage units. Naturally 1983 wasn't quite vintage yet.
I will probably change the Z06 Big Tank list above in Post 2, to reflect the proper interior colors for the Don Steves Gurney car, and Washburn Bondurant car. Therefore when Tom McInytre in 1983 was trying to figure out that car, I can see that a black interior led to the innocent call to pick the Silver car, not the White car.
On the white car, Norm retained the Z06 hood, to put that back on, but I think his car was a source of the brakes. The events for which the White car ran was not typical SCCA spec class, but in the libre type USRRC, and Times GP GT race, not exactly based on FIA rules (World Governing body).
Norm Burger was based over out of the beach close Cities, still Los Angeles, but in Hawthorne, where Baher was located in neighboring Manhattan Beach.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-04-2021 at 04:53 PM.
NONN37 (04-14-2022)
Old 03-06-2021, 03:11 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Thought of the day. The Z06 Big tank lists, one in the hands of Don Steves, and one in the hands of Dick Guldstrand are troubling. Ok surveys were done, and the people who want to claim providence of their car answered, or individuals provided info to get a Vin on the list.
Note I started this research cold, zero influence from others, no collaboration with anyone. A true solo effort, just because it looks like it needs solving, just as I did for other car types like the 1966 HD racers, 1967 L88, Greenwood Sebring GT initially zero, but then accepted collaboration, pushing the knowledge of the history forward a whole lot. I was able to get 95% of the special suspensions historically organized too. I have no Z06 car, dont need one. These are interesting cars. To push this registry effort forward, I would have to find time to dive deep into literature old Vette views. The internet is the worst source, sparse on the real cars being shared. The Cars that populate the internet are what I am calling the internet celebrity cars. Funny many of those like the Dick Lang car and others aren't on the two lists I was given.
I think these two lists were given to Steves, Guldstrand to forward the validation of phony cars, but also correct ones, as there appears to be far too many. My focus will have to be on the race cars, as they show up at tracks, in records, but many many built up racers too. Let's take an example:
The Ken Habrow car #3070.

At 1963 Daytona Brown shows up with one believed to be Z06, and it looks like this car had association with Doc Wyllie, who sold it. That car was crashed and all of the parts were taken off to build up an odd sequence Vin car #3070 donor. I posted that Ken letter, providing it to Jim, after he indicated I needed to be schooled. The letter is enough of a reply alone, to the creditability of that car.

The first build group are only those early Vins 684-895 in early October. Then a small group in the 2000 series, in later October (3 I have listed),then about 6 more prior to the change over to sell them publically in the 6000 series of Vins, with allowances of variations possibly of a car or two possibly having or not having a big tank. Growing up the 1963 Z06 was always just Coupes, except the one thought of Roadster. Guldstrand's car was thought of being a Roadster. Even Dick over the years went from calling his car a built up racer, and were I got the story of the brake acquisition, to later years him telling the story of that car lost, crashed, flipped, in the modern being a factory Z06. The next group was after the change over and we have the start of the real balance of production, with the 8000/9000 series car on forward.
Funny how a claimed car, snagged by Vince Piggins surfaced, not on those lists. Ultimately I dont think I with my level of research could ever eliminate phony cars, unless I find more letters such as Ken Habrow wrote. Many experts have the car count way above the 63 Big Tank cars thought to exist. The unfortunate thing is cars that missed being on such lists as I acquired, and cars that ended up on those lists unjustly.

The fun of this exercise for me, is a pure past time activity, usually watch news or documentaries during my TV time, doing stuff like this. It is like solving an intricate puzzle, deriving joy or disappointment as you attempt to solve it.

If I ever attempted to access the in crowd data, that could be awesome, but I dont play nice with others. You have to be a special type to take in bullcrap, and still have a wholesome relationship, with the bullshitters.

So this morning briefly, I was trying to validate the interior colors of the two Grady Davis cars. The white car trim was to be in the American Nationality racing colors, being white with blue trimming. Briggs was big on using the Official American Entrant colors, and so was NART Ferrari early on during these earlier periods.

And the Grady Davis car.

And more examples

And Shelby flipped that to the Viking Blue, white stripes, and the later Guardsman Blue with white stripes.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-07-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:44 PM
AOS_L79
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I have gone through Vette Vues back to about 1975 and other magazines and have a list of 20 possible z06 cars that are not in your list. Of those 20, only three can be found on the web with some NCRS/Bloomington judging to back up their claims. Here they are:

13873 https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...tte-z06-coupe/
15675 https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...O6-COUPE-16004
20377 https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0113-14...-corvette-z06/
TCracingCA (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AOS_L79
I have gone through Vette Vues back to about 1975 and other magazines and have a list of 20 possible z06 cars that are not in your list. Of those 20, only three can be found on the web with some NCRS/Bloomington judging to back up their claims. Here they are:

13873 https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...tte-z06-coupe/
15675 https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...O6-COUPE-16004
20377 https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0113-14...-corvette-z06/
Hi, I started with what looked like just lists of what looks like Big Tank cars. I think as I go from a Novice interested enthusiast into the realm of expert, venturing for the first real time into researching seriously these. I think we are seeing the emergence of the Z06 Non-Big Tank cars.

As I am a racing enthusiast, I always thought most of the Z06 race cars were the big tank cars. FIA was big on 1000K events, generally required pit stops, unless you were like 750cc class, with a big tank. America didn't do Metrics, so we kind of went to like 3 Hour events, 1 hour sprint races, 15-20 lap production car events, depending on track length, how many classes were to run, the weekend calendar. Thus the Big Tank was a concept to extend the range to make it through an event, with no need to pit or minimizing pit stop needs. I know some guys for SCCA or other, felt the extra weight or cost to add as an option weren't needed. So some racers may not have been interested in ordering big tank.

Putting in this effort, takes a lot of time to read, research every car. It is near impossible for me and just a few others to break each down each and every Big Tank or Non-Big Tank. I posted in alot above today, started just getting something into each reserved post. Human beings are impatient as all hell, in they think information should be an instant availability, but just typing, collating things like this can take years. If it isnt looking complete, they lose interest or will insult a work in progress. Thanks for jumping in. Maybe instead of me trying to get to the point of looking into whether a big tank car. I revise above and start listing those cars under just Z06. As one is proved out, it can be transferred. I actually don't have a Non-Big Tank Z06 list.

In looking at these star cars. We know what is going on! They may or may not have a real Big Tank Z06, but to get the big bragging rights, or max investor interest to make a killing on a sale, getting and installing a Big Tank is the big score, brag.

I do need to get to some real world stuff. I was going thru my all 100% Bowtie Engine builds, organizing just things like bolts, studs, the small items, dowel pins, etc etc etc to ensure I acquire just not the big core parts I already own, but total Bowtie wares needed for complete engine builds from Pace, Scoggins Dickey, GM Direct, etc etc etc. I was crunching all part numbers. I also was buying the only remaining ones of many items discontinued, buying the final NOS stock in existence. I budgeted $3000 for small wares, for this weekend. To clean out inventory of vintage they have left on their shelves. Working on that second all aluminum Gen 1, 075/049 based I have teased with, but also a tall deck iron block, long stroke Bowtie engine with SB2 heads I found new. So splitting out what to use in the two different builds. I have running engines in two of the three cars, but these will replace two of those.

I will add in your finds, research when I get back to this! Thanks

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:21 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Before I go, I started to put back up 68/69 L88s, but it would be way too ambitious to go for Car pictures on each Vin, so I came up with a novel idea, to show an example in every color. A few colors don't show well, so might work to improve the sample pictures, using what are possibly all real existing L88 cars hopefully.

For the race cars, I would like to post a picture under each Vin. I may do the same for the Z06 project, if it turns out to be a near impossible task.

I am noticing that Vin info is disappearing off of the internet, so hopefully this will be a place for enthusiasts to go to, for a simple reference.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-06-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:01 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

To answer someone's email.

No I will not be doing local SCCSCC slalom type cars, as they aren't famous enough. Maybe a few might get in, if they jumped to SCCA competition, but no!
Old 03-07-2021, 08:48 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ok I might need to go buy that $187 book to see how I am doing.
We had 7 cars for Riverside October 1962
We had 1 car for Puerto Rico Nov 3-10/1962
We had 3 cars for Pomona Nov 17-18/1962
We had 2 cars for Nassau Dec 1-10/1962.
We had another race Riverside 1963
We had the Daytona
We had Dodger Stadium
We had 7 cars at Sebring

I am going to check Nationally for other races with Z06 cars this early.

I think we had the first batch #00684-#00895.
Then later in October another small batch of 2000 series cars.
Then we had a third batch of cars up to about #05154 on 12/18/62. Then changes were allowed.
The next batch starts in Early January with car #06208. After 12/18, Z06s might not have the Big Tank. Car #06753 did not have one. Built 1/14/63.

So we are missing cars to get to a magical 15 car count.

Dick Thompson had the White #48 Grady Davis car for Puerto Rico. They did not have the Daytona Blue car there. This one is counted.

These are not counted in the pre-12/18/1963 (15 cars), researching to see if we have Vin numbers for Ed Cantrell #79 & Bob Kingham #89 in Z06s, who were at Nassau 9th Annual Carnival of Speed, not to be confused with the Nassau Speed Week, that happened back in September.

So I am going to look for more early races, where Z06s were possibly raced.
Guys like: Briley, and Norcal guys, etc. Cormany out of the Central Division, etc. See how early they were running theirs. Robert Brown at Daytona we know, sold it to Doc Wyllie who ran it for the 1963 season, before it was wrecked 1964 and parted out.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-08-2021 at 01:27 PM.
silver837 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 05:45 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ate indoor Breakfast after hiking. Damn Stupid Covid stuff, so relaxing, watching news, looking thru notes and records, some new stuff, some older known stuff verifying.

I also decided to just blend the Z06 Big and Small tank car lists together and can separate those out later. I want to see the dates.

1st I was looking for what I wrote down about Dick's (Guldstrand) 1963 Blue roadster car being built and getting brakes. Still looking for everything I know about, in notes and in print articles from interviews. But when it was crashed, and there is a scary video of that in existence, the salvageable parts were all bought by Dick Simon, who had a low HP street car he was building up. So the engine, tranny, and stuff, went to that car.

On Hooper's M/T car, they got that car in August 1962. It was being used for testing, and was brought out to Riverside Raceway to continue testing (going to check into this some more, but it was out here being tested in August, and that would make it pre-production, so might not have even been a Pilot line car. I have several old articles clearly saying pre-production car. That car is one of the Pilot line cars or older.

The Doug notes I have, is that some guy came along and thought he had found the #119 car, and that car was #689. But it was not the car. Someone also in 2007, was building up a replica of the Riverside winner, and that was about that time frame where my Father was interacting with him alot, and I had a few conversations with Doug. I had last seen him in Monterey Historic, 50th year Corvette anniversary and I got a few things signed. We went over with him to Pebble Beach. I think I saw him there also in 2013. One of those times he talked about the guy that thought he had that old car. He said the one that he would like to find was his 1966 HD, he called it an L88 car.

Delmo had two cars #6577, and a 9000 series car I want to double check, look for before attaching his name to the 9000 series car.

Cars like Salyer are believed to have been Z06 cars, but was a Small tank.

I was looking into cars I see in races like Marv Shoenfeld, and the interesting thing of making that Z06 into a psuedo Lightweight styled after the Grand Sports.

Robert Brown definitely sold to Doc Wyllie who ran the car 1963. The experts mix up the time like, like in the history of this car, they confuse some of the events, like one cars history says Daytona 63, when it should read 1964.

I have to add like Garrett Waddell, since I am venturing into Small Tank Z06 cars. #20678.

Adding in a few other racers, but when I have time.

I was digging up the claims of the Franz car. I think I will go into that extensively, but save that for last, as that could prove to be the most guarded, even though I fully believe that was a Harry Mann car. He has no Dealership connection, says went directly basically to Mickey (so what the hell held it up?). He is vague on who bought it from Mickey. He says it completed in Autocross out here, so I will be able to run that down I believe. I will do that when I get around and check on the Autocross participation of Tom McIntyre's car.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-08-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:34 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

More for Sunday.

Doug Hooper's memories- Krause, him and Mickey thought they would be getting the new Grand Sport lightweight. Krause had just freshly driven the 1st appearance of the Cobra at Riverside Octover 13th. He left Shelby, and took his first drive with a Corvette at Pomona in November 17-18, 1962 race weekend, Car #300 (Franz doesn't even have that in his history). Now here is where Hooper's recollections goes down the wrong path. He thought they shipped his Blue Riverside car to Sebring for that testing in December 1962, but I will check as to how many cars were there. I have yet to remember anything other than the Silver car shown in the picture I posted, next to the Grand sport (testing by Dick Thompson and Masten Gregory). Doug thinks that Daytona 63 was the last race he ran in the car, in print articles. He said that the blue car in interview never came back to California, but that wasn't true, as it appeared at Dodger Stadium . Therefore his memory remembers a car not returning, after Daytona. I seriously think it was the Chevrolet Silver test mule. That was true a Firestone tire test, but also there is enough written as to trying the Production Corvette on the Grand Sport disc brakes, and that born the idea of doing the newly announced Challenge race at Daytona, for 7 liter and under cars. Thus the NASCAR guys, Mickey and gang proposing two Corvettes for 427 drops. Up to that point, Mickey had no need for a third team car, let alone a fourth Corvette, as he only had two true team drivers, and the time period of the claimed experts, is at a time when nothing but a 427 was being developed for possibly NASCAR, and their wasn't a thought of running a GT Tri-oval event yet. . Thus he then sourced another car, so the other NASCAR star would not be left out of the fun, cry foul, on his competitor tested MK II engines, and them nothing. Who else had a Z06 that wasn't immediately needed, oh Norm Burger did. They just raced against him at Pomona, as he had the Don Steves white Gurney Z06, I believe.
Doug also in print says they were planning to take the Daytona Blue Riverside winner to LeMans, but I think that is a memory mistake, as they were planning the Grand Sport, but the plug got pulled. They had to lay low for a time, as Donner GM Head was not happy. The first Grand Sport finally made a race debut in the hands of the Grady Davis guys, if I remember correctly would be Maryland April 1963 in an SCCA event running in C-Mod class (Dick Thompson/Grady himself named as the drivers, Car #16 DNF, Chassis #004 with a,stock L84 installed. The next appearance was Danville with Ed Lowther getting that seat, then back to Thompson and Davis for Cumberland May 63, Road America June Sprints, Watkins Glen Aug 63, Bridgehampton Sept 63, and finally onto that historic Nassau Dec 63.
Chassis #003 first ran Sept 63 RA 500, testing a long stroke. That was Car #29.
Chassis #005, first showed at Nassau Dec 63.

They just couldn't get or go to LeMans. Mickey sold the Corvettes prior to Sebring 63. The only left coast representation there, was the Jerry Grant/Don Campbell #7 entry.
We had 6 other Z06 cars entered.
The two Grady Davis cars decked out with the flares (FIA event, not SCCA), Numbers 1 &2. You had Delmo/Morgan #3, AJ/Hurtibise #5, Johnny Allen/forgot to write down co-driver, too lazy to go look while posting, Ralph Salyer/Roy Kumnick #4. (Seven Z06 cars numbered 1 thru 7).
oh remembered just now- Jeff Stevenson was Allen's co-driver.

OK rested and heading out again.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-08-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Oops! One more post as on the next page of very old notes, was Baher could not source those Z06 brakes, and the Guldstrand car was corrected using some big trailer brakes that they found fit. This info was collaborated in an Article written by Brock Yates.

Also when Chevrolet pulled the plug on racing, the entire Z06 package was said, to not be offered anymore. I will try to figure that out. They were now selling to the public basically in January, and into February. We need to research this more.

Zora was known to squirrel away stuff, and could connect up the right racer, even during some of the most difficult political times within GM.

PS Doug used to tell the tale of hearing the #119 car got caught up in a drug dealer bust, and was destroyed by the Government.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-08-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Hi all, I am starting to get requests to research people's street cars, and that is not what I do. I dont provide any services, for anything related to the Corvette world. I dont exchange any money for anything I post. I am not writing a book, I long ago stopped being a researcher for magazine writers, and my days volunteering in the car museum world, was also long ago. I am not trying to be famous either. The organization's for that are the NCRS, dedicated Registries, where guys update such with like auction results and for sale ads.

What I am attempting, is to just give enthusiasts a quick reference place to look up some of the more interesting cars. As this is only a hobby research venture, if I get it to a decent reference, then great. If not, we are in no worse shape, than when I started. I am not getting any real input from people, but I see the topic is getting views, as I looked at that a few times. So I will keep going.

Maybe open up a question. The Riverside winning car looks like a Pilot line car,and fitted with Z06 brakes, so does it belong on the Z06 list? I think it does as a historical car, but is denoted as a Pilot Line car. First C2 car to win a major race. Also it probably isn't #008, as that is thought to be a silver, with dark blue interior.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-07-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:01 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ok was trying to research more on what Pilot cars were what. The ones that have been found, good info. I would have thought, each would be figured out.

Basically maybe someone knows, but what were these cars, what Vin or what pre-production code.
We had two cars, in a color print ad, but I think those were prototypes, as look at the fin things near the rear tires.

.Then we have this shot

We have the Silver car I show as #00000

We have two cars ran around the test track by MacDonald and Thompson. The red car is a 360hp FI, and the Silver is a 250hp Poweglide car.

We had two cars showing near turn 4 at Riverside.

We have like 4 cars showing from print ads -brochure, at the release.
Insert pic

Then we had the first magazine tested car (not a fuelie car), by Car & Driver

Then we have other print ads.

Photoshop in 1962/3?

So it appears like for every pre-production or Pilot car found (if not red), they start to think it might be Hooper's old winning car. I guess that is how some of the experts got off on a tangent with #008. I even followed them down it also. Why paint a Silver car to Daytona Blue? Nope, not the car.

Damn I just found the Hooper Corvette!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-11-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:57 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I spend some time today learning about Pilot Line car, which the term Pilot line is thought to be incorrect. Some of these were rolled thru with the 1962 cars.
So other than coming up to speed on these, I was trying to figure which car was ran by Hooper.

I deleted a thought of the Hooper Riverside Winner still racing later in the 1963 year at Dodger stadium. The car he crashed was the #809 Silver car.

The general consensus is the car was destroyed, after going back to Chevrolet. Therefore it is none of the surviving cars found.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-01-2023 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:16 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I started to add in 1969 ZL-1. Next might work on typing in car colors for L88s I have. Affix the #57 Osaid car to the above known HDs, and just noticed, I did not successfully cut and paste the first few 1966 HD kit car racers. More pictures of racers in their transitional liveries, try to fill in a little more on pilot line cars. I was trying to back trace cars in promotional shots to early production, if possible.

My mystery of the day is on the Silver Coupe parked in the photo at the October races. If you enlarge my pictures, there are discs under this license plated 2492 car. Those might be Car club medallions, not sure. Anyone else have a guess or thought?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-11-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK

Old 03-11-2021, 04:23 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I fixed some of the first 23 prototypes. I mistyped one completely #0001.
Also as per Vicari and Franz, they do have #0008 as a Daytona Blue with Blue interior car, and they feel this was the Doug Hooper race winner #119. There for back to me denoting that as car #0008. I dont know where I got Silver car, but will go back and look.
Lastly the Silver car at the December 1962 Tire/Brake test had two bar spinners. Therefore prototype car. The Z06s picked up at the Factory (3 cars, had 3 bar spinners). I am going to rewatch that MacDonald video, but 2 bar spinners is significant. I am right then about the Silver car being a Prototype also. In the 1963 Corvette production shots, one of those cars was being fitted with a big tank.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:38 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

The 1962 December Sebring Tire and brake test. If you watch carefully they show the Silver car running, but cut that, spliced back in the Grand Sport. Then you see them sitting on the Silver prototype car. The Silver car has none of those 427 features, that were added. The car was delivered to a garage just up the street from Smokey Yunicks garage. They used that friends garage to work on all of the cars, when they finally had arrived on the West Coast where the Fuelie engines were pulled on the two cars for the 427s.
This is not Mickey Thompson's garage.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-12-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:34 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ok expert insult for the week. No where have I seen it written or said, but there were 3 initial "Prototype" 1963s built, in the Body shop and Frame shop. One was to be a promotional car that we see #00000 and then two driving models shown in the Proving Grounds run of the red coupe and the silver roadster driven by Dr. Dick Thompson & Dave MacDonald. If you notice, the red car is not a Riverside Red, but a Red Metallic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK watch the 20 minute video of the building and then test of the two runners. If you pay attention, the key word is pay attention, then you will notice that on that hand built Coupe, they spray it with a Red Metallic and they throw a cover on it for the unveiling.

There is a quick flashing section of that film, where they swing it out onto the 1962 Production. There were at least 3 cars, with finished engines dropped in the midst of the 1962 ending production.

Therefore technically other that the Engineering mockup cars, these are the only Pre-Production Handbuilt prototypes pre-Vin (not counting #00000, which had some custom body features to jazz it up some).

Insert photo 1957 XP-84

1960 XP-720

The Metallic Red and Silver cars have Engineering prototype development plates or whatever you want to call them. Then we start into the 1963 Production run and I am going to call Vin #00001 to #00023 Production, the Pilot cars against, which I will explain. As like the cars Vicari acquired and studied, like #00016 there exists a photo of the trim and Vin plates. Then when he was doing it's restore, he noticed the same unique indicators of that old picture showing on his car #16. As his car had an obvious Vin, it was assumed production, and therefore he tosses the notion of Prototype, Pre-Production. When they started production car with #00001, naturally it would be used to set of the jigs, build stations, manning, etc., etc., etc. to build C2s. Therefore as they did each of these earliest. Production cars entirely by hand, as they got to the next car, they were being refined, the construction methods improved. By cars #15, #16, #17, they were pretty close to the basic production plan, but still using cast up pieces, handlaid in glass from wood molds. As they got the Production line setup, they switched supplies parts to die casting and the body panels would start to arrive prefabricated for line installation. In other words, they weren't making each parts by handhand, waiting on that before install. I say by car #24-#26, the parts,were produced, and being staged for production line install, on a now moving Production line.

Thus we add in two Prototype cars
Metallic Red Coupe with 360hp Fuelie.
Silver Convertible with the other spectrum end of planned production, the 250 hp. They wanted to give the impression of both extremes being performance cars, and fun to drive. I bet the Silver car had metallic, or pearl too for that extra flash, pizzazz!

Then we start on Production, the first being denoted by Franz and Vicari indicating Saddle/Saddle Coupe.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-11-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Enthusiasts Rare Car Registry-a never ending Work in progress, thread resurrection OK