C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T56 and vintage air in a 64 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 11:05 PM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Default T56 and vintage air in a 64 coupe

Working on my upgraded parts list for the 64 coupe I recently purchased. I have a LS6 out of a 2001 ZO6 and a Tremmic T56 six speed that I would like to install in this car to closely replicate what I have in my 1966 GTO restomod. I have read on this forum that the t56 requires you to raise the floor (had to do that in the 1966 GTO), no problem. Also have seen some comments that the Vintage Air units will not fit in my 64 if the tunnel has been raised. I have seen several builds where the tunnel was raised and it appears that vintage air has been used.
Can someone who has done this swap using a T56 and vintage air chime in as what will/will not fit. I could purchase a TKX600 but I prefer the T56 and I already have the built tranny in my shop. Thanks in advance. The car:

Last edited by ricott; 02-28-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Kris_K
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a really cool project. I have a 66 Coupe with an LS3 and T56 Magnum. I also have Vintage Air and the it works just fine as a combo. I originally had the T56 and Vintage Air with a 454 before I had the LS3 installed. As far as the T56 installation goes, my transmission tunnel was raised and my trans crossmember was modified to make it removable. It made the installation a lot easier. My car was the demo car for Silver Sport Transmissions and you can watch their promo video
The following users liked this post:
Robert61 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 12:19 PM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 784 Posts

Thanks for the video it's very informative.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:21 PM
ricott
Racer

Originally Posted by Kris_K
Sounds like a really cool project. I have a 66 Coupe with an LS3 and T56 Magnum. I also have Vintage Air and the it works just fine as a combo. I originally had the T56 and Vintage Air with a 454 before I had the LS3 installed. As far as the T56 installation goes, my transmission tunnel was raised and my trans crossmember was modified to make it removable. It made the installation a lot easier. My car was the demo car for Silver Sport Transmissions and you can watch their promo video here.
Thank you so much for your response. Your car is a real looker, with performance to match, I’m sure. Do you know if the VA unit you installed in your car is a Gen IV?
Old 03-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Kris_K
Racer

Originally Posted by ricott
Thank you so much for your response. Your car is a real looker, with performance to match, I’m sure. Do you know if the VA unit you installed in your car is a Gen IV?
Yes, my kit is part # 964165, the Gen IV without AC SureFit Complete Kit.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:32 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris_K
Sounds like a really cool project. I have a 66 Coupe with an LS3 and T56 Magnum. I also have Vintage Air and the it works just fine as a combo. I originally had the T56 and Vintage Air with a 454 before I had the LS3 installed. As far as the T56 installation goes, my transmission tunnel was raised and my trans crossmember was modified to make it removable. It made the installation a lot easier. My car was the demo car for Silver Sport Transmissions and you can watch their promo video here.

I think we had this discussion before and there was no way no how I could fit the "Sure Fit" unit neither could the Roadster Shop on their Corvette builds with a T56. I was able to fit a Vintage Air Mini Gen II which by VA's own comments would not cool as good as a Sure Fit. Did you do the install, I would love to see some pictures.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:45 PM
Kris_K
Racer

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle
I think we had this discussion before and there was no way no how I could fit the "Sure Fit" unit neither could the Roadster Shop on their Corvette builds with a T56. I was able to fit a Vintage Air Mini Gen II which by VA's own comments would not cool as good as a Sure Fit. Did you do the install, I would love to see some pictures.

I installed it myself in my garage back in 2015. I just followed the instructions. The evaporator was a very tight fit but it fit. I didn't take pictures of the install and my car is unavailable for a few more months. It's undergoing a body restoration.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:24 PM
ricott
Racer

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle

I think the difference is a custom frame(Roadster Shop) vs c2 frame. I have looked at a lot of builds, and the aftermarket frames seem to push the top of the tunnel to almost touch the Z bar, but the top of the tunnel using the stock frame is not nearly as high. I plan to tackle this swap around the first of June so I guess we will see then.

Get notified of new replies

To T56 and vintage air in a 64 coupe

Quick Reply: T56 and vintage air in a 64 coupe