C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leather seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Leather seat covers

I have been thinking of a seat transplant for my 1965, but not sure how I would handle the upholstery. Has anyone ever heard of or tried lseat.com?
For the $350 you supposedly get real leather, and you get to choose the thread color too. They seem to support quite a few vehicles, including C2's.
https://www.lseat.com/products/1965-...ers-front.html

It looks like they make each set custom. I have an old set of these from a GTI that might fit:
https://www.lseat.com/products/1999-...ers-front.html

Seems like a good deal?

Last edited by Tiros; 10-13-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Tiros
I have been thinking of a seat transplant for my 1965, but not sure how I would handle the upholstery. Has anyone ever heard of or tried lseat.com?
For the $350 you supposedly get real leather, and you get to choose the thread color too. They seem to support quite a few vehicles, including C2's.
https://www.lseat.com/products/1965-...ers-front.html

It looks like they make each set custom. I have an old set of these from a GTI that might fit:
https://www.lseat.com/products/1999-...ers-front.html

Seems like a good deal?

Why not just get a set of leather covers from Al Knock? Or any of the other vendors, C Central, Wilcox, Corv Amer, etc?

Last edited by vetsvette2002; 10-13-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:39 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Boy that sure is cheap. If they have an easy return policy where you could examine them and if not satisfied, return them - it would be interesting to see what they look like. But without seeing them I think I might be worried if they have all the necessary wire tubes, reinforcement for the wire clips, quality underlayment, etc. It would be a big risk as to how well they fit and smooth out and if sloppily fitting, at that point returning them might be difficult.
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (11-28-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:07 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Boy that sure is cheap. If they have an easy return policy where you could examine them and if not satisfied, return them - it would be interesting to see what they look like. But without seeing them I think I might be worried if they have all the necessary wire tubes, reinforcement for the wire clips, quality underlayment, etc. It would be a big risk as to how well they fit and smooth out and if sloppily fitting, at that point returning them might be difficult.
Corvette America quickly and without argument, replaced the leather seat covers I ordered that didn't pass muster. The next set they sent was excellent.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

That is quite cheap, I have to question the quality, than again it may be a damn good deal. I tend to stick with what I know to be good.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Do they also sell seat foam? I believe most seat manufacturers recommend only using their foam to get a "proper fit" when installing their seat covers. My experience is that it can be very difficult stretching the seat covers over the seat frame/foam during installation. So, foam from mismatched manufacturers may cause you some grief.
The following users liked this post:
mblake101 (10-18-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 10:43 PM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 88 Posts

I just redid the seats on my 62. They came out great but it was a fight. It is VERY hard on the hands.
I went leather instead of vinyl.
Having said all of the above-IF I were to do it all over again I would:
1. Get EVERYTHING from Al Knock---foam, covers, WIRES and springs. I think it would have been an even better job.
2. I would NOT use the "correct " springs. Instead ---I would opt for the cheaper single level springs. I used the "Correct " springs---front rows higher than the back--and more expensive. If you are being judged this is the only way to go.

3. I would still opt for the leather BUT-----to get smooth fish without wrinkles is very time consuming.
With Vinyl--the final step is to steam the vinyl and this removes all the wrinkles. You can not steam the leather so you need to be very careful and also spend a lot of time fitting and stuffing to get a really good looking finish.

Make absolutely certain to get and STUDY both the Corvette America AND Al Knock's videos on the proceedure.

Only do ONE seat at a time----from start to finish. This way you have a model for your re-assembly.
Take ONE apart---rebuild it--put it back together---THEN once you know you have what you want-attack the second one. Take countless photos of each step of the dis-assembly process. If you think you have taken too many pictures--you have only taken about half of what you need.
Good luck.
Edduie
Old 11-29-2020, 05:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,349 Likes on 2,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave64
Corvette America quickly and without argument, replaced the leather seat covers I ordered that didn't pass muster. The next set they sent was excellent.
I had a similar experience with Al Knoch on a color issue. Tremendous customer service.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:25 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I sold an Avanti to a fella about a year ago and he used Lseat when he reupholstered the car. I believe Lseat is in Dallas but they have the seat covers custom made in China (they had patterns for Avanti, but I believe he sent the old covers to them), so it takes a while.

I've emailed him to see what his experience has been and I'll update this post when/if I hear back.

Last edited by waynec; 11-29-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather seat covers

Quick Reply: Leather seat covers