C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1956 engine with matchng number transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:27 PM
donnyb73
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1956 engine with matchng number transmission

Hi. Im new here and not really familiar with the site. I am actually looking for some input and maybe finding out the value of this engine my uncle gave me. I was i complete shock when i first got it. Its a 1956 corvette engine with the matching number transmission. From what people told me its pretty rare. My brother in laws father actually is an engineer for Gm and worked 10 years on the corvetter. Hes the one who did the research and matched the number together. I know people are gonna say the 56 came with the 4 barrell but he told me they put whatever the buyer wanted from 2 barrell to fuel injection ,dual port 2/4 and many other combos. it wasnt strictly the 4 barrell. He said he had no clue on the value. If anyone could give me any knowledge about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

You can’t advertise in the For Sale section without a price. I will move your thread to the General Discussion section where you can determine value. After you figure out what you have and determine an asking price, you can post a sales thread in Parts.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:41 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,546 Likes on 3,010 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Odds are that engine is NOT a Corvette engine.

You will get help identifying what it actually is by noting and reporting two important numbers. The first is the block casting number located immediately behind the left (driver's side) cylinder head in raised numbers. The second is the assembly code and assembly sequence number both located directly in front of the right (passenger side) cylinder head in stamped numbers.

Both sets of numbers are visible from above. Find out what these are and report back.

Welcome to the forum.

Jim
Old 06-04-2020, 04:15 PM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyb73
Hi. Im new here and not really familiar with the site. I am actually looking for some input and maybe finding out the value of this engine my uncle gave me. I was i complete shock when i first got it. Its a 1956 corvette engine with the matching number transmission. From what people told me its pretty rare. My brother in laws father actually is an engineer for Gm and worked 10 years on the corvetter. Hes the one who did the research and matched the number together. I know people are gonna say the 56 came with the 4 barrell but he told me they put whatever the buyer wanted from 2 barrell to fuel injection ,dual port 2/4 and many other combos. it wasnt strictly the 4 barrell. He said he had no clue on the value. If anyone could give me any knowledge about it would be greatly appreciated.
At first glance it doesn't really look like an engine intended for original installation in a '56 Corvette. If Ed Mc chimes in he may be able to comment on the transmission extension housing. The one used in the "56 Corvette is unique and very hard to come by. I won't make that call from the photo provided. Ed may be able to.

Did your brother inlaws father give you the numbers he "matched up"?

"but he told me they put whatever the buyer wanted from 2 barrell to fuel injection ,dual port 2/4 and many other combos" I take no pleasure in bursting your bubble but absolutely none of this is true.

Your going to need to supply 3 important numbers. The block casting number, The block casting date and the stamped in block assembly date.

The first, the casting number is a 7 digit number which is part of the that was formed when the iron was pored in the mold so it stands proud of the surface. It is found behind the drivers side cylinder head on the flange of the block that the transmission bolts to. 7 digits staring with a 3 and if a '56 it will end with 991.

The block casting date is on the passenger side of that same trans mounting flange. It is a much smaller font. Starts with a letter then 3 and in some cases 4 digits. This date was formed when the iron was poured in the mold as well so it was part of the block from day one.

The assembly stamp was stamped after the engine was machined and assembled. You'll find it on a part of the block called the pad. Thais pad juts out at the base of the front end of the passenger side cylinder head. You will need to clean it based on your photos. DO NO, DO NOT, DO NOT use a screw driver or anything abrasive on this pad EVER! A liquid cleaner, lacquer thinner or solvent and old tooth brush are ok.

Report these numbers. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words. Your pictures were good. Just not what we need in order to tell you anything significant.

Last edited by Rumblegutz; 06-04-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

The transmission tail housing is definitely NOT a Corvette part. The Corvette tail housings had three threaded bosses on them to mount the floor shifter.

Your engine and transmission has all of the characteristics of a standard passenger car engine. The exhaust manifolds are NOT 1956 parts, but a lot of manifolds got swapped out over time.

"You are going to need to supply 3 important numbers. The block casting number, The block casting date and the stamped in block assembly date."

Absolutely connect. Here is a diagram that identifies the location of those three numbers.

1. Engine Front Pad
2. Block Casting Number
3. Block Casting Date

Last edited by emccomas; 06-04-2020 at 07:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by emccomas:
jimgessner (06-12-2020), morly1963 (06-05-2020), Rumblegutz (09-09-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:42 AM
donnyb73
6th Gear

Thank you very much for the information. Ill get to work on that soon. Ill post what I find. Again thank you
Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 AM
donnyb73
6th Gear

Ty. Will do

Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 PM
helena
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First 1956 265 chevy engine I ever saw with canister oil filter.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,546 Likes on 3,010 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by helena
First 1956 265 chevy engine I ever saw with canister oil filter.
Beginning in '56, ALL Chebby V8s had cast-in boss for an oil filter.

You may be thinking about '55 265s which did NOT have an oil filter boss.
The following users liked this post:
jimgessner (06-12-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 PM
helena
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya Jim your on it my mistake , I have a 56 chev pickup had blowed up 265 in it no oil filter assumed it was original engine looked it up call me Bubbaaaaa chip
Old 06-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by donnyb73
I know people are gonna say the 56 came with the 4 barrell but he told me they put whatever the buyer wanted from 2 barrell to fuel injection ,dual port 2/4 and many other combos. it wasnt strictly the 4 barrell.
Fuel injection was introduced in the 1957 model year.

And the claim that in addition to 2bbl, 4bbl, 2x4bbl and FI was available, I'm wondering just what the "many other combos" could have been.

Let's just say that as we all get older, our memories sometimes play tricks on us. I'm sure he means well but I would not consider him a reliable source if you seriously want to learn what that is and what it came from.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:37 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I do recall reading a statement somewhere in the early 1960s that said something like "Your new Chevrolet could be special ordered (read that as COPO) with any engine package available from Chevrolet.

This was BEFORE the introduction of the Mark IV big block engines.

So, "in theory", you could (as an example) order a new 1963 Chevy II with any engine that was available in any 1963 model year Chevrolet. So what about the possibility of a 1963 Chevy II with a 327 fuel injected 360 hp engine and 4 speed transmission.

Common sense prevails. You would not be able to order a 1963 Corvair with a 327 FI engine.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:37 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 781 Posts

As I recall the Nova needed a special V8 block due to starter interference with the sub frame. Someone will know.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:14 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by silver837
As I recall the Nova needed a special V8 block due to starter interference with the sub frame. Someone will know.
Recessed oil filter boss area of the block to clear suspension. Could still be built as a 360 hp FI engine.
The following users liked this post:
silver837 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,979 Likes on 4,799 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emccomas
Recessed oil filter boss area of the block to clear suspension. Could still be built as a 360 hp FI engine.
MikeM has shown a GM parts Book that you could order a kit from the parts counter to build your own. but none was built by GM
Old 06-09-2020, 04:40 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
MikeM has shown a GM parts Book that you could order a kit from the parts counter to build your own. but none was built by GM
That we know of.

The point I am trying to make is that, in theory, any engine available in a specific model year could be installed in any body that would accommodate that engine.

This was a special order situation (i.e. COPO) and should be looked at carefully, if one appears.

I recall checking out a 63 Chevy II SS with a 360 hp fuel injected engine in it many years ago. The owner did not claim it was original, just that it "could" have been ordered like that.

We know Fuel Injection systems were installed on passenger cars in the late 50s.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

But those FI engines where RPO for those other models.

Get notified of new replies

To 1956 engine with matchng number transmission

Old 06-09-2020, 04:59 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
But those FI engines where RPO for those other models.
Yes, and "in theory" became potential COPO setups in later years.

I am not saying that it actually happened, but I would not be surprised to see one show up one day, if it hasn't already.

However, if one did show up, I would want to see a ton of paperwork to come along with it.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Yes, and "in theory" became potential COPO setups in later years.

I am not saying that it actually happened, but I would not be surprised to see one show up one day, if it hasn't already.

However, if one did show up, I would want to see a ton of paperwork to come along with it.
I don’t think GM would just throw any engine in a car without a lot of engineering test of all the little things that get changed when you do it.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:51 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,033 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

That we know of.

The point I am trying to make is that, in theory, any engine available in a specific model year could be installed in any body that would accommodate that engine.

This was a special order situation (i.e. COPO) and should be looked at carefully, if one appears.

I recall checking out a 63 Chevy II SS with a 360 hp fuel injected engine in it many years ago. The owner did not claim it was original, just that it "could" have been ordered like that.

We know Fuel Injection systems were installed on passenger cars in the late 50s.
How come we never hear from dealer owners, general managers, guys in the business back then who actually sat at the teletype machine and ordered the inventory? Can't someone say hey, I worked for Z Frank in Chicago and I ordered plenty of oddball non-published or advisable combinations...all we get is speculation from know-it-alls and folklore. Where are these dudes?

Dan

Quick Reply: 1956 engine with matchng number transmission