C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

power steering???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 05:48 PM
clcintx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering???

Anyone put power steering in thier C1 - what are the best options and where's the best place to purchase.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 PM
blu62vette
Advanced

Default Re: power steering??? (clcintx)

My 62 has PS in it and has had it for a long time. I can send you some pics of it if you would like. I will try and take some shots of it tonight for you.

Todd.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:55 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: power steering??? (blu62vette)

Todd,
I'd like to see them as well.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-25-2002, 07:58 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: power steering??? (joevette57)

Me too....so please post 'em.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:03 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Now you see why those old steering wheels were so big :-). I knew you'd be asking about PS.... after you drove it a bit. You do realize PS was not a factory option? I'm not aware of an aftermarket setup, but there may be one out there.

I'm a midyear guy, but, you said you have "quick steering"? Hummm, well midyears have 2 holes for tie rod attachment (at each front wheel). You can use either pair, the one's that provide you more leverage (steer easier), also make the car steer "slower". You may want to check if your car has the 2 holes, and set it up for the slower/easier steering option, that should help some. Realize that if you do change it, you should get it realigned. I hope I didn't confuse you.....

:seeya
Old 11-25-2002, 10:18 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Crane Corvettes in CA offers a bolt on power steering kit. Costs about $2K. I know nothing about it except that it exists. Most power steering conversions require that the steering column be cut in the engine bay and replaced with a series of shafts and ujoints. If you have a late 60-62, the VIN plate is attached to the steering column. Not exactly sure how you handle that little detail.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:19 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: power steering??? (62fuelie)

Also, to make the steering a bit easier, you may want to consider a 195/75 tire up front, with the pressure up around 30# hot. Then pick a rear size no shorter, but maybe a touch wider....... just an idea. Wide tires and quick steering = hi performance, but both make steering when parking/parked more difficult. :)
Old 11-26-2002, 01:11 AM
blu62vette
Advanced

Here is the link to some pics and I can still get some more and better ones.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=115550

It is like the setup on a 57 chevy. PS pump bolts to back of the generator and steel lines take it underneath where the hydraulics are. No modifications to steering column. On the frame the is a peice of steel welded on for the hydraulics to bolt to. Like I said it was there when I got it. Downfalls are the lines are very low to the ground. I had one rubbing and then it burst, but overall on easy fix and it didnt blow while driving thank goodness. Hope this helps. Let me know any specific picture request and I will get them to you.

I tried to post a pic but never have done it before so sorry if I screwed it up.

[IMG][/IMG] http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...sp?id_=1055217
Old 11-26-2002, 07:32 AM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seing either a 57 or 58 on ebay a few weeks back with the same set up. I piqued my interest after seeing the pump on the back of the generator instead of the tach drive. It only showed the engine bay though, not how it hooked up underneath.
Very interesting, Thanks. :cheers:

[Modified by joevette57, 7:35 AM 11/26/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 10:06 AM
blu62vette
Advanced

Default Re: power steering??? (joevette57)

On my system they run the lines off the pump way to close to the fan belts and they have rubbed part way through the steel lines. But overall it sure is nice to have.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Johns 61
Heel & Toe

I have seen expensive bolt in systems from jim meyers racing, I am sure they are professional and well done.

I have Power Rack and Pinion steering in My 61, Only took me about four years to make it. I did it all myself and it did cost less than $2000! My Labor is free, but I probably spent 50 hours fabricating up my prototype system. But the results are FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL, and Well worth the Effort. My car is now Excellent to drive, I just basically got tired of the Vette driving like a Old Truck, I also put in disc brakes and an alternator at the same time.

I had to:
remove the engine and change the motor mounting system (weld in New Mounts) to a side mount system (so I could mount a steering pump) on a conventional set-up

Fabricate a crossmember to hold the PS Rack and Pinion Using the old Engine mounting Frame Weld-ins to Mount the crossmember. I used a Dodge Omni PS Rack, which is what the street rodders use for a "rear Steer"

Fabricate a bracket to hold the core support, where the steering linkage mount used to.

Fabricate two new steering arms for attachment to the spindles.

Modify the PS rack to accomodate Rod Ends for the Linkage to the steering arms

Fabricate My own steering column using tubing, rod, bearings and U joints.

Make up Power steering Hoses.

I am Happy to say that this system is at least 1000% better that the original and the only tinkering I have done is to adjust the Linkages for Bump Steer. I am Very happy and continually congratulate myself for the neat job I did!

Get notified of new replies

To power steering???

Quick Reply: power steering???