C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 coupe, undo mods or leave them alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 02:14 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default 64 coupe, undo mods or leave them alone

My 1964 coupe is a constant source of pride and joy for me.

I bought the car in Nov of 2017, and I have thoroughly enjoyed driving and tinkering with this car.

One thing that I noted about this car was that it fell into an interesting category. It was not a 100% original car. It had SIGNIFICANT (and difficult to undo) modifications, so the original crowd wasn't interested in the car.
It also was not a resto-mod, so the resto-mod crowd was not interested in the car. It sort of fell in between the cracks.

It would be easy (but no necessarily cheap) to take this car the rest of the way to a resto-mod. And I suspect I could do that to a certain level and still keep the 65 chassis, with some modifications. Throw in a LS engine, 5 or 6 speed trans, update the instrument cluster, probably some high end seats, and maybe some fancy wheels and tires. You get the idea.

It would be MUCH HARDER to take this car back to stock.

The car started life as a 300hp, 4 speed, radio, and basically no other options. It still has it's original engine and transmission.

The car was originally Daytona Blue with a dark blue vinyl interior, and the original trim tag indicates that.

The previous owners had the car restored to their tastes, and I have to admit that I like their tastes quite a bit.

The car is now Silver Blue with a Silver leather interior. The car also now has 1967 vintage power brakes, and power steering.

The chassis under the car came out from under a California 1965 coupe, so it got 4 wheel disc brakes as part of that change.

It also got a lot of cosmetic modifications. The previous owners were building their dream car.

To that end, there are a number of additional modifications / changes.

Since I got the car, I have added Vintage Air Conditioning, a 7380 Rochester Fuel Injection system, moved the alternator to the driver's side, added a Hurst shifter.

My final major effort for this car is to build and install an EFI converted Rochester Fuel Injection. I have the Rochester FI parts to do this.

OK, so here is a list of the changes to the car from stock, and my thoughts on keeping the mod, redoing the mod, wondering what to do about the mod.

I would appreciate ya'll taking a shot at these mods and your thoughts on them.

OK, here goes:

1964 Corvette Coupe, build date E 31 (January 31, 1964)

Modification Plans to do with it
1965 chassis under car Leave it as is
Exterior color change Leave it as is
Interior color change Leave it as is
1967 dual Power brake system Leave it as is or replace it with a date coded correct 1964 power brake booster and 1964 master cylinder?
1967 power steering system Leave it as is or replace it with date coded correct 1964 power steering system?
Engine compartment painted body color Leave it as is or black out the engine compartment to factory specs?
Chrome hood hinges Leave it as is or replace with correct finish hood hinges?
Chrome door latches Leave it as is or replace with correct finish door latches?
Replacement radiator Leave it as is or replace with factory correct radiator?
Cooling overflow tank wrong date Leave it as is or replace with correctly dated overflow tank?
Hurst shifter Leave it as is or put the correct 64 shifter back in the car?
Factory hood on car Leave it as is or replace with a factory 1967 big block hood

I know, some of you are asking why I am complaining about this beautiful car, and I am not really complaining, just trying to decide how best to proceed forward with it.

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
wolfman64 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

Originally Posted by emccomas
1965 chassis under car Leave it as is Agree.
Exterior color change Leave it as is Agree.
Interior color change Leave it as is Agree.
1967 dual Power brake system Leave it as is or replace it with a date coded correct 1964 power brake booster and 1964 master cylinder? Leave as is. Why go with the less safe MC?
1967 power steering system Leave it as is or replace it with date coded correct 1964 power steering system? Leave as is. What good is a properly date coded PS unit on this car?
Engine compartment painted body color Leave it as is or black out the engine compartment to factory specs? Personal taste. I'd have to see yours, but would probably go with black.
Chrome hood hinges Leave it as is or replace with correct finish hood hinges? Replace. I hate chrome hinges.
Chrome door latches Leave it as is or replace with correct finish door latches? Are we talking interior levels? Aren't '64 interior door handles chrome?
Replacement radiator Leave it as is or replace with factory correct radiator? If it cools the engine, leave it.
Cooling overflow tank wrong date Leave it as is or replace with correctly dated overflow tank? Leave it. Who cares about dates on this car?
Hurst shifter Leave it as is or put the correct 64 shifter back in the car? Replace. I prefer the stock shifter.
Factory hood on car Leave it as is or replace with a factory 1967 big block hood Leave as is, unless you need the clearance.

I know, some of you are asking why I am complaining about this beautiful car, and I am not really complaining, just trying to decide how best to proceed forward with it.

Thoughts?
mblake101 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 02:24 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,294 Likes on 1,696 Posts

I bought the car in Nov of 2017, and I have thoroughly enjoyed driving and tinkering with this car.

One thing that I noted about this car was that it fell into an interesting category. It was not a 100% original car. It had SIGNIFICANT (and difficult to undo) modifications, so the original crowd wasn't interested in the car.
It also was not a resto-mod, so the resto-mod crowd was not interested in the car. It sort of fell in between the cracks.

It would be easy (but no necessarily cheap) to take this car the rest of the way to a resto-mod. And I suspect I could do that to a certain level and still keep the 65 chassis, with some modifications. Throw in a LS engine, 5 or 6 speed trans, update the instrument cluster, probably some high end seats, and maybe some fancy wheels and tires. You get the idea.

It would be MUCH HARDER to take this car back to stock.

The car started life as a 300hp, 4 speed, radio, and basically no other options. It still has it's original engine and transmission.

The car was originally Daytona Blue with a dark blue vinyl interior, and the original trim tag indicates that.

The previous owners had the car restored to their tastes, and I have to admit that I like their tastes quite a bit.

The car is now Silver Blue with a Silver leather interior. The car also now has 1967 vintage power brakes, and power steering.

The chassis under the car came out from under a California 1965 coupe, so it got 4 wheel disc brakes as part of that change.

It also got a lot of cosmetic modifications. The previous owners were building their dream car.

To that end, there are a number of additional modifications / changes.

Since I got the car, I have added Vintage Air Conditioning, a 7380 Rochester Fuel Injection system, moved the alternator to the driver's side, added a Hurst shifter.

My final major effort for this car is to build and install an EFI converted Rochester Fuel Injection. I have the Rochester FI parts to do this.

OK, so here is a list of the changes to the car from stock, and my thoughts on keeping the mod, redoing the mod, wondering what to do about the mod.

I would appreciate ya'll taking a shot at these mods and your thoughts on them.

OK, here goes:

1964 Corvette Coupe, build date E 31 (January 31, 1964)

1967 dual Power brake system Leave it as is or replace it with a date coded correct 1964 power brake booster and 1964 master cylinder?
1967 power steering system Leave it as is or replace it with date coded correct 1964 power steering system?
Engine compartment painted body color Leave it as is or black out the engine compartment to factory specs?
Chrome hood hinges Leave it as is or replace with correct finish hood hinges?
Chrome door latches Leave it as is or replace with correct finish door latches?
Cooling overflow tank wrong date Leave it as is or replace with correctly dated overflow tank?
Factory hood on car Leave it as is or replace with a factory 1967 big block hood

Thoughts?
Just curious. Do you do anything at all on this car without asking someone else what you should do? How about in your regular work as a rocket scientist, ie. do you ask someone else what you should do before you do anything?
The following 3 users liked this post by 65hihp:
biggd (05-18-2020), emccomas (05-18-2020), mike coletta (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 02:28 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 636 Likes on 422 Posts

do what makes u happy
Old 05-18-2020, 02:32 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Apparently, he must find out what makes the majority of us happy, before he can know what makes him happy. Strangest thing I've ever encountered on this wacky forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by 65hihp:
biggd (05-18-2020), emccomas (05-18-2020), GTOguy (05-19-2020), mike coletta (05-18-2020), USMC 0802 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 03:23 PM
Uncle Pasko 73
Pro

Received 573 Likes on 264 Posts

1967 dual Power brake system Leave it as is or replace it with a date coded correct 1964 power brake booster and 1964 master cylinder? Why waste time and money replacing with something that's still not original to the car
1967 power steering system Leave it as is or replace it with date coded correct 1964 power steering system? Ditto above
Chrome hood hinges Leave it as is or replace with correct finish hood hinges? Chrome hood hinges are so very 70's
Chrome door latches Leave it as is or replace with correct finish door latches? Ditto above
Factory hood on car Leave it as is or replace with a factory 1967 big block hood! I love the big block hoods and don't think it is a sacrilege to have one on a small block (I am doing that myself). With your car I'd go one step further and put an LS7 into it and proudly sport the "427" badges! I am so very tempted to do that myself but my car is closer to original than yours so I haven't. Yet.

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by 65hihp
Apparently, he must find out what makes the majority of us happy, before he can know what makes him happy. Strangest thing I've ever encountered on this wacky forum.
Nothing wrong with getting other opinions on things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Pasko 73:
Procrastinateur (05-18-2020), scotty t (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 06:18 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Right, if you're a newcomer to classic vettes it seems to me. Mr. OP has been a member of NCRS for something like 35 years. He has forgotten far more about these cars than I will ever know. He has written books about them. It just seems very very odd. But, to each her own, as you say.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:58 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Just curious. Do you do anything at all on this car without asking someone else what you should do? How about in your regular work as a rocket scientist, ie. do you ask someone else what you should do before you do anything?
It does seem like I ask a lot of questions, doesn't it.

I make lots of decisions, but particularly as a rocket scientist I ALWAYS want another set of eyes looking over my shoulder.

And I look over the shoulders of my co-workers often as well.

That is part of being a rocket scientist; it is NOT just another job. People's lives depend on us getting it right.

OK, back to the Corvette....

I value other people's opinions, and many times these conversations have lead to some really great ideas.

So, I do make lots of decisions on my own, but I also do ask lots of questions. And sometimes the questions I ask (both at work and other places) are really off the wall.

But you would be surprised how often these off the wall questions bring up good discussions and great ideas.

I had a boss tell me early in my career that I was thinking so far outside the box that I could not see the box from where I was. I considered that a great complement, and that is what he intended.

Thanks for your question.
The following 3 users liked this post by emccomas:
Factoid (05-19-2020), hcallaway (05-19-2020), scotty t (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Surely not!

I may be strange, but there are some that we have all seen that are just out there "somewhere".
Old 05-18-2020, 07:04 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Right, if you're a newcomer to classic vettes it seems to me. Mr. OP has been a member of NCRS for something like 35 years. He has forgotten far more about these cars than I will ever know. He has written books about them. It just seems very very odd. But, to each her own, as you say.
And I will never be too old, to experienced, or too whatever to stop learning from others.

I also really enjoy a good philosophical discussion, an just about any topic.

In this regard I am very fortunate that the guy who sits in the cubicle next to me also enjoys philosophical discussions. He and I have been like brothers since 2003, and I never get tired of our discussions.

Last edited by emccomas; 05-18-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

About all I'd do would be to black out the engine compartment and nix the chrome latches and hinges.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:20 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
About all I'd do would be to black out the engine compartment and nix the chrome latches and hinges.
What he said.....actually, I wouldn't even bother painting the engine bay assuming its in good shape, just loose the chrome bits. That being said, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Old 05-18-2020, 07:20 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

Of all the things you listed, the only thing I'd consider changing would be to go with the stinger hood. Otherwise, the car sounds superb just as it sits. I'd change nothing else about it.

Live well,

SJW
Old 05-18-2020, 07:29 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 251 Posts

Default Fugetaboutit...

YADA YADA YADA......

OK, here goes: YADA YADA YADA.............

1964 Corvette Coupe, build date E 31 (January 31, 1964) "It still has it's original engine and transmission."

1965 chassis under car Leave it as is FAGETABOUTIT
Exterior color change Leave it as is FAGETABOUTIT
Interior color change Leave it as is FAGETABOUTIT.............
ETC ETC

Thoughts?

Go out back to one of the NASA dumpsters and pick out a nice low milage ROCKET engine, stick it in there and make Jay Leno jealous !!!
The Vette will be moving so fast no one will notice the subtle changes the previous owners made. $0.02
Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Jay's got a jet car. Well, a turbine car anyway.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:51 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Never buy a classic car to please anyone other than you or your significant other.
Who the **** cares if the stock crowd or the resto-mod crowd are interested in it?
Just do what makes you happy with the car.

Last edited by biggd; 05-18-2020 at 07:53 PM.
alblosser (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:38 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 798 Likes on 545 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I like the sounds of the car the way it is except I would put a 5 speed in it. I like chrome, I like silver blue, don't like black engine compartments.
alblosser (05-19-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 64 coupe, undo mods or leave them alone

Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I'm confused. If I remember correctly before you actually purchased this car you were aware of what was "wrong" with it. Didn't you buy it because it was the type of car you wanted? I was under the impression you wanted a Corvette you could make your own without "ruining" a piece of Corvette history. Now it seems like you've changed your mind. Why would you consider trying make a correct car starting with a car that both the exterior and interior color as well as the frame are not correct? It seemed like your were both happy and proud of the changes you made to make it yours. After this thread maybe not so much. IMCO which is worth nothing you bought the perfect canvas to create "your dream C2". You had a plan. Get back on track. This car is too nice to tear apart to the extent you're talking about. If you want to go off in another direction you may be better off moving on from this car and finding another correct car or a full blown resto mod. I don't mean to be harsh and/or overly critical but you've done too much to go in another direction. That's just my thoughts which I guess you're looking for other opinions.
At the end of the day it's your car, your money, your time so you need to do what makes you happy not me or anyone else for that matter. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
alblosser (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:55 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 775 Likes on 435 Posts

I wouldn't bother putting anything back to date coded parts. What's the point unless you are taking nearly everything back to stock? Since it is already so modified, in great shape, and a joy to drive, I'd only add to it in areas that will increase your driving/ tinkering enjoyment. Personally, I'd add a TKO 5 speed, the EFI you've been working on, and the stinger hood. Then drive it as much as you can.

Patrick
The following 2 users liked this post by Patrick03:
alblosser (05-19-2020), emccomas (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:00 PM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

I too love to brain storm. I like the idea of an EFI Rochester unit. My vote goes to black engine compartment and leaving the chrome bits. I suggest a 65-66 BB hood. leave everything else as is. But finish the 56 first if not already done.

Quick Reply: 64 coupe, undo mods or leave them alone