C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Barn Find Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 68hemi
It doesn’t sound like many here have read the OP very closely. One of the two NCRS judges looking at the car is a mid year guy.

Yeah, I thought OP did a good job of providing info right off the bat but folks are skipping over it somehow.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,977 Likes on 4,798 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Yeah, I thought OP did a good job of providing info right off the bat but folks are skipping over it somehow.
and without any REAL info about the car there can be a 30K in a price swing. we don't know what engine is in that car. it could be the real on, or it could be a 454 from a RV, we don't know what that trim tag reads or if there is one at all. so little to go by. but yet so much wanted to know. the club NCRS really has no business being brought up.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think with any project you have to take the price to start with teh finsihed price, less the price to finish it, and then discount it another 25% to 40%.

If finished is $100,000, and it costs $40,000 to finish. It is $60,000 less $15,000 to $24,000. That makes it $36,000 to $45,000, if my initial numbers are correct.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:48 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Everyone has a idea what something is worth to them. I am guessing the original poster and other inspector want some unbiased / non friend appraisal prices to value the car at. Maybe so they can buy a a price to make the sellers family comfortable, maybe to stay neutral so the sellers family feels they have a honest appraisal. If the selling family is concerned about that they should hire their own independent appraiser who has no friend attachment / skin in the game.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
You need to post pictures of trim tag and VIN tag,engine stamp,also picture of carburetor, it would be extremely rare if it is truly an original carb with the correct bowls. Are wheels original or reproductions? Have headlight buckets been filled in, I can't tell from the single picture at a bad angle.
Another thing to check is the starter. Those are tough to find and are not cheap.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't know, if this car is half of what it is being described as 40k isn't going to buy it.what I can tell from the pictures is the frame looks completed, engine compartment looks fresh but full of dust, I get what some say about a project that sits for a while has a tendency to deteriorate . but I like this car, its honest, Nothing better than a real 65 396/425, its a rare bird .Im sure we have all had a certain feelings about a car , you could be right about it or you may be wrong, but it does not change what you feel about it.I'm thinking this could be real, again just a feeling.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
we don't know what engine is in that car.
Keith, what more do you want?

My friend is also a NCRS guy and an active judge specializing in Mid Year Corvettes. He looked the car over with me. We confirmed that the engine in the car is the original
I guess the NCRS must be useless if one of their judges specializing in midyears can't be trusted to tell an RV 454 from a Vette motor. Or are you saying only YOU can tell that?

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
we don't know what that trim tag reads or if there is one at all.

True, OP did not post a pic, but if HE is a NCRS member, and his friend who saw the car is a NCRS midyear judge, I'd bet a pretty large amount they know enough to look at the tags. If the tags were missing, he would have said so.

You say " the club NCRS really has no business being brought up." Really? It has been noted on here that NCRS does not assign or bestow dollar value. The guy is offering - in place of pics - some details on the car's condition to allow an informed opinion on value. Those details are based on the inspection by 2 NCRS members one of whom is supposedly qualified to judge such things. His knowledge does not vanish when he leaves the judging field and walks into somebody's garage. The correct response *should* be "based on the information you provided, I'd say it's worth $xx,xxx".

I'm not saying the info provided tells EVERYTHING, and I'm not saying "the judge" is infallible. But OP has provided far more info than he's being given credit for.
The following 2 users liked this post by Railroadman:
2tired (03-27-2020), tuxnharley (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Not EVERY NCRS guy knows what a real trim tag looks like or a real stamp pad looks like. I don’t care how long of a member they are. For a real value we need everything. If not it’s like throwing a dart blindfolded and hoping for a bullseye
Old 03-27-2020, 03:33 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by phil2302
You would think "2 NCRS guys" would have a minimum basic idea of the value of a 65 BB and wouldnt need to be canvassing interweb opinions......just sayin.
Knowing what you're looking at and what it's worth in today's market are two completely different things.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:37 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

The toy car market this day week and month isn’t what it was a month ago and I don’t think it will be again.

demand exists for the car, obviously, but maybe it’s time we say that $40,000 for that car as described is too much.

it’s too much.

it’s a cool old toy to be played with and driven, but not car intrinsically worth $40,000 as is.

South Florida real estate got overblown too, and I guess you can argue both sides on “market forces”

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 03-27-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the car is still worth what it was a few months ago. the problem is the pool of buyers willing to spend money has got way smaller since then
Old 03-27-2020, 05:26 PM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
You need to post pictures of trim tag and VIN tag,engine stamp,also picture of carburetor, it would be extremely rare if it is truly an original carb with the correct bowls. Are wheels original or reproductions? Have headlight buckets been filled in, I can't tell from the single picture at a bad angle.
I will post a lot more photos when I get to see the car again. They are probating the estate and I must wait on that (2 weeks perhaps.) The wheels are aftermarket. The carb is the original (not sure about the bowls but likely are original.) The past owner bought the car out of Iowa in 2007. There is some thought that Harry Mann Chevrolet out there was the original dealer but that must be verified. The car was not a side pipe car originally. The alternator is not the original nor is the radiator. I'll be posting a good bit more info about this vehicle in the weeks to come. Tks
Old 03-27-2020, 05:29 PM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Originally Posted by phil2302
You would think "2 NCRS guys" would have a minimum basic idea of the value of a 65 BB and wouldnt need to be canvassing interweb opinions......just sayin.
The car is an interesting one. We did seek some advice re the value and we wanted to stir up some interest in the car as it IS going to be sold.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:36 PM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
Too many assumptions.

IF verified as a real side pipe car
IF verified as a real Trim tag car - RED/RED hello....This is rare combo.
If verified as a real VIN tag
IF verified as an original motor

The above 4 items would impact the value of the car by 10's of thousands. Without those confirmations, this is an exercise in mental speculation.

Think about it, a real Red/Red real motor 396 with original side pipes and real tags versus if it's really a red/black non side pipe restamped motor car. A Grand Canyon difference in values.
It is NOT a real side pipe car; it IS a red/red car; I'll post the VIN when I get back over there (but it is legit); the motor is the original (we will post photos of the stamp pad/cast dates.) I have a 3 time Top Flight '65 (well, first time was Second Flight) and my buddy has 7 mid years including 2 FI '63's. and 5 BB's. We do have some experience with these cars.
The following users liked this post:
alblosser (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:39 PM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68hemi
It doesn’t sound like many here have read the OP very closely. One of the two NCRS judges looking at the car is a mid year guy.

Body off frame/suspension done and re-installed, original engine/carb confirmed, receipts indicate low mile car, previous owner had years of experience in fiberglass repair. Sounds to me like it needs paint and interior.

NCRS itself does not equate value to level of points a car scores so I can understand these guys looking to others for value.
68Hemi has the correct picture of our actions and intent.
The following users liked this post:
alblosser (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 PM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Originally Posted by mark6669
What are the British Cars?
Mark
Mark: I don't know a Triumph form a Bentley. One was an Austin Healey and one was a Triumph one a Range Rover (not old). I was looking at the only US car there and did not pay attention to the others. They are going to be sold also. I'll advise when I get back over there,
Old 03-27-2020, 08:30 PM
DieterMoto
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Forum Members,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a former owner of a Cascade Green '57 Corvette that was my daily driver for quite a while. I was familiar with NCRS standards and judging for C1 cars but I have no special expertise in C2's. The owner of the '65 referenced in this thread was my best friend since the 7th grade in 1959. We were united by an intense love and appreciation for well made automobiles. As mentioned, he owned a Fiberglass only paint and body shop specializing in Corvette restoration. After he retired he became a restorer and broker of high end European cars. I last visited him in November of last year. He was extremely proud of the work he had done on this car. It was to be his masterwork. Unfortunately he passed away last month and I volunteered to help the estate prepare his cars for market.

RedVetteMike was suggested by a third party to help with valuing the Corvette. He is well known in the Mississippi area for his knowledge of C2 cars. Apparently in his excitement about this car, he forgot that he had agreed not to disclose anything about the car and its inspection until the probate is settled. "This email is being sent to each of you with the understanding that you will not share any information about these cars with others until such time that decisions have been made." A course of action for the sale of this car could conceivably take several forms from "as is, where is" to a full NCRS restoration. The legal team estimates probate to require at least 90 days. I am busy coordinating the sale of the British cars at this time. They will be offered first to the local British car club as my friend wanted. After that task is completed, I had intended to offer the car on this forum as was suggested by RedCorvetteMike.

I would respectfully ask that RedVetteMike not provide any VIN, casting, or stamping numbers or any more photos at this time. When the car is legally available for sale, I will provide as many details and photos as possible to assist your decisions. I would also like to ask the moderators to lock this thread out of respect to the estate.

Last edited by DieterMoto; 03-28-2020 at 10:14 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 03-28-2020, 12:21 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,349 Likes on 2,780 Posts

Closing thread to further posting at this time.

Quick Reply: Barn Find Value