C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] need power steering advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:26 AM
JoeU2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need power steering advise

I want/need to put power steering in my 58, and would appreciate advise on how to go.The electric one looks like the easiest way to go, but I am leery of stuff I have no experience with. At first look around, the one I think would work the best is one of the Steerroids kits. But I sure would like to hear from anyone with experience with this kit. Like what pump, mounts, pulleys, I want headers but which ones? and should I change to sidemounts? (my motor is a later 350 short-block with camel hump heads, and original 58 dual WCFB carbs ). and does it work well?

Old 03-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Big Block 60
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the Steeroids kit on my '60 last year and I love it. I went with the power steering and headers kit. Call'em and talk to them. Things chain from year to year but I had to buy Hooker Headers. They will tell you which ones. Just finished my buddies '59 yesterday. Non headers with power steering.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 248 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Almost talking about two different animals here. Steeriods is a Rack and Pinion conversion to get away from the stock king pin set up on C-1's and can be had with and without PS. If you buy their kit that includes PS, it requires pulleys, pumps, and typical "old school" PS components added to the engine bay. It requires modification of the steering column.

Electric PS is more like modern car PS systems, that uses an electric motor to assist in the steering. You retain the old school king pin steering system it just make it easy to turn at low speeds. It is usually installed under the dash and requires no pulleys, pumps or old school components in the engine bay. It does obviously require modification of the steering column. To my knowledge you can add the electric PS to a manual Steeroids R&P system.

Do your homework as I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to both systems. If you don't mind the old school "bump steering" and your front end is in good condition, the electric assisted steering would be less invasive IMHO.

By the way, beautiful car!

The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Stunning car - I would go least-invasive (e.g. electric PS)...or just stay with none at all.....
I never had a problem piloting my 61 nor did my 110 lb daughter...
Old 03-14-2020, 10:21 AM
facelvega
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

couple years ago I bought and installed an electric power steering from .EZpowersteering in Netherlands in my C1 from 1963. It is available in US as well.

The installation was done by me in one day and I am not an expert. The result was perfect and with a potentiometer you can adjust the level of powersteering.
Go to the internetpage and you will find a brochure and a installation guide how to do it.
good luck, finding a solution.

Last edited by facelvega; 03-14-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:44 AM
JoeU2
6th Gear

Default Thank You everyone

I got off the dime and ordered the Steeroids power steering kit for with headers and with aftermarket steering column. I also ordered the headers including with Hooker alternator mounting brackets, collectors, gaskets, and correct (I hope ) paint for the new steering column. I still have doubts though, if this is best for me. I also want power disk brakes, and especially a dual master cylinder with separate front and back brake hydraulics, so if one fails the other works, in today's world I think single master cylinders that lose all the brakes if any wheel fails is scary. So when this Steroid kit arrives, with it's installation manual, I am going to very carefully review it, and if I see anything I don't like, I will send it back and get that IFS kit that mostly bolts in, but welds the top A-arm support, I think it may be a cleaner install than the Steeroids kit and it includes front disk brakes. yesterday I did shocks all around, and new rear leaf springs, shackles, bushings etc, riding better and sitting level now. I have a local car show tomorrow (rare don here in the Florida Keys), Monday I'll start on the headers and electric window conversion. Thanks again everyone for your answers, I have a lot more confidence now in this Steeroid kit, and thanks for the compliments on my car, I am very happy with it.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by JoeU2
I got off the dime and ordered the Steeroids power steering kit for with headers and with aftermarket steering column. I also ordered the headers including with Hooker alternator mounting brackets, collectors, gaskets, and correct (I hope ) paint for the new steering column. I still have doubts though, if this is best for me. I also want power disk brakes, and especially a dual master cylinder with separate front and back brake hydraulics, so if one fails the other works, in today's world I think single master cylinders that lose all the brakes if any wheel fails is scary. So when this Steroid kit arrives, with it's installation manual, I am going to very carefully review it, and if I see anything I don't like, I will send it back and get that IFS kit that mostly bolts in, but welds the top A-arm support, I think it may be a cleaner install than the Steeroids kit and it includes front disk brakes. yesterday I did shocks all around, and new rear leaf springs, shackles, bushings etc, riding better and sitting level now. I have a local car show tomorrow (rare don here in the Florida Keys), Monday I'll start on the headers and electric window conversion. Thanks again everyone for your answers, I have a lot more confidence now in this Steeroid kit, and thanks for the compliments on my car, I am very happy with it.
Whoa! Headed for body-off restoration territory!
Old 03-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Agreed, a beautiful car. You can download the Steeroids instructions here. I have the system installed, but have not driven it yet. I’m too busy enjoying things like installing a new dash pad, new windshield and side windows, new window regulators, and such.

https://www.speeddirect.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf
Old 03-14-2020, 01:32 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,780 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

To this day, I have never understood the need for pwr str on these cars.
If the front suspension is in good condition (or properly rebuilt), all steering linkages are in top condition and the steering box is properly adjusted, and REASONABLE size radials with 32-34psi, are on the car, then these cars steer quite well. Granted, the steering is a little stiff when stopped or moving extremely slowly, but otherwise, they do fine.
I have 15x6 steel wheel wheels on the front of the 56 with 225/78 radials inflated to 34psi----------------------------PLUS-----------------------it has the fast steering adapter (which inherently increases effort), I'm 77yrs old and have had total replacement done to both knees, and I do just fine driving the 56.
The following users liked this post:
DAN70 (04-10-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 01:43 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
To this day, I have never understood the need for pwr str on these cars.
If the front suspension is in good condition (or properly rebuilt), all steering linkages are in top condition and the steering box is properly adjusted, and REASONABLE size radials with 32-34psi, are on the car, then these cars steer quite well. Granted, the steering is a little stiff when stopped or moving extremely slowly, but otherwise, they do fine.
I have 15x6 steel wheel wheels on the front of the 56 with 225/78 radials inflated to 34psi----------------------------PLUS-----------------------it has the fast steering adapter (which inherently increases effort), I'm 77yrs old and have had total replacement done to both knees, and I do just fine driving the 56.
I agree with Tom. These cars, if all is to specification, have and excellent 'feel' in the steering, IMO. I love mine and would never 'upgrade' it. That said, don't fall for the 'I'm a worn- out old man' line from Tom. He may be 77, but he jumps around his cars and equipment like a teenager. And still just as excited. We should all be so lucky!! LOL..........
The following 3 users liked this post by GTOguy:
DAN70 (04-10-2020), Loren Smith (04-23-2020), scotty t (03-14-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 02:22 PM
jasonv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joe, i installed a steeroids power steering kit on my 1959 last year and it is great now. The process was a little harder than i had thought it would be. I had to make some modifications to make it work on my car with the pullies. We ended up machining some spacers to make everything line up correctly. I also has to struggle with the power steering hoses to make them fit. The power steering pump barely fit also where one of the hoses attached because it was so close to the frame. It was a battle getting everything in but now that it is in i really like it. I could not drive the car because i am 6'5" before the power steering since the steering wheel was soo big. I found a great steering wheel and hub if you are interested let me know and i can give you information on where to get them. They were much cheaper than the reproduction wheels most places sell.

The following 2 users liked this post by jasonv:
badhabit_wb (09-28-2021), Loren Smith (04-23-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Yikes............
Old 04-03-2020, 02:34 PM
jasonv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also did the front disk brake conversion on it. It now has a dual zone master cylinder for more safety. The brakes work well but they are not power assisted.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:10 AM
JoeU2
6th Gear

Hi Hermn59, thank you, and I have been doing the same thing, electric windows and door locks from a key fob, new sheet metal on the doors, new kick panels with speakers, rebuilt both carbs and new fuel pump, new stereo, and on and on. Oh, best if all, i have some hidden switches to switch off the courtesy light if i am leaving the doors open all day while i work and i have the radio normally on and off with ignition , but I have a hidden switch so i can have the stereo on while ignition is off. I am going to keep and drive this car forever so I want it to still look all original, but to be convenient for me for daily driving. i'm waiting for parts to make solenoid hood and trunk openers from the key fob and switches. back to thanking you for this manual link, between the manual and the pictures from jasonv and some new stuff i found online, I have decided not to use the steeroids kit. i really would rather have A arms and ball joints so i am looking at the mustang II rack and pinion conversion or still looking for a C4 conversion, which is what i would like the best. i already did my V12 55 chevy pickup with C4 independent suspension front and rear, and really like it. thanks again _ Joe in the Florida Keys
Old 04-09-2020, 11:12 AM
JoeU2
6th Gear

HI jasonv, thenk you for the pictures, your car looks great! between the manual that Hermn59 sent me a link to and your pictures and some new stuff i found online, I have decided not to use the steeroids kit. i really would rather have A arms and ball joints so i am looking at the mustang II rack and pinion conversion or still looking for a C4 conversion, which is what i would like the best. i already did my V12 55 chevy pickup with C4 independent suspension front and rear, and really like it. thanks again _ Joe in the Florida Keys

Get notified of new replies

To need power steering advise

Quick Reply: [C1] need power steering advise