C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 License Plate Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 07:30 PM
drdave69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1966 License Plate Light

I've performed some research the last few days but I still did not get my license plate light working. I found that the ground wire was not connected to the forward most screw on the housing and corrected that but it still does not work. Is there a way to test the hot lead wire and ground wire to see if there is voltage at the housing? I am OK with cutting the hot wire to try this (note: it must be the original harness since it still has the encapsulated slice in the wire).
Old 01-25-2020, 07:50 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by drdave69
I've performed some research the last few days but I still did not get my license plate light working. I found that the ground wire was not connected to the forward most screw on the housing and corrected that but it still does not work. Is there a way to test the hot lead wire and ground wire to see if there is voltage at the housing? I am OK with cutting the hot wire to try this (note: it must be the original harness since it still has the encapsulated slice in the wire).
You can use a volt meter to test if you are getting power to the light. If you don't get a reading switch the ground. If you still don't get a reading you are not getting power. The light assembly is not an expensive part if you have to replace it.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:51 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

the supply is the same brown wire circuit that feeds the tail lights. The ground is the same black wire as used in the tail lights. If you take the bulb out and measure from the contact in the socket to a good ground, you should have 12v when the lights are on. You really only have a few possibilities. The brown wire isn't connected to the other brown wires at the back, the black wire isn't connected to the license plate socket, or you have a bad or corroded connection in the socket, OR wrong or bad bulb. It is a single contact bulb that is grounded by the base touching the side of the socket, which as I said is grounded by the black wire that goes to all the tail lamp sockets. If your tail lights are working the problem is very local to the license socket and can't be elsewhere in the circuit.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:28 AM
drdave69
Instructor

I tried a new bulb yesterday to no avail. The tail lights are working so I will concentrate on the license wires.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:35 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,027 Likes on 1,043 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

I tried a new bulb yesterday to no avail. The tail lights are working so I will concentrate on the license wires.
And the fixture.....
Old 01-26-2020, 08:39 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Just a quick note on the 'new bulbs'. I have often found that the solder contacts on the new china bulbs are insufficient to reach the contacts in the back of the socket. I have had to add solder to the bulb contacts and file it flat to make / maintain contact on more than one occasion. Not saying this is your problem, but before you accept the bulb is good, push in on it while it has power and wiggle it around a bit.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

[QUOTE=drdave69;1600857542]I tried a new bulb yesterday to no avail. The tail lights are working so I will concentrate on the license wires.[/QUOT

check the backup lights switch on the transmission, it may not be working or the rod is not connected on it

jack

sorry, I miss read problem..

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-26-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:09 AM
63driver
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 193 Posts

Perform some bench testing. Use a 9V battery and alligator wires and clips and just test the bulb. Then put the bulb in the socket and use the 9V battery to test the connections on the fixture. The bulb will not be very bright but you will see it glow.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:38 PM
drdave69
Instructor

I pulled the fixture loose and disconnected the ground wire from it. I then let it dangle in front of the license plate and performed some tests. With a section of wire and two alligator clips attached to the ground lead and the housing I measured the voltage. I get around 8 volts when I check between the bulb contact point and the bulb ground socket. I get 12 volts when I check between the bulb contact point and the alligator clip attached to the housing. I can see the bulb contact pushing the socket contact point inward when inserting the bulb. I checked 3 bulbs at the battery using wires attached to the battery and they are all good. I'll order a new license plate housing today ($110).
Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

I pulled the fixture loose and disconnected the ground wire from it. I then let it dangle in front of the license plate and performed some tests. With a section of wire and two alligator clips attached to the ground lead and the housing I measured the voltage. I get around 8 volts when I check between the bulb contact point and the bulb ground socket. I get 12 volts when I check between the bulb contact point and the alligator clip attached to the housing. I can see the bulb contact pushing the socket contact point inward when inserting the bulb. I checked 3 bulbs at the battery using wires attached to the battery and they are all good. I'll order a new license plate housing today ($110).
Can't you get just the socket? The housing is probably ok. I've never changed one, but I'd sure check into it first.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 01-27-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:14 PM
drdave69
Instructor

I installed the new reproduction housing today and everything is working now.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 License Plate Light

Quick Reply: 1966 License Plate Light