C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Done with Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II radial tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 05:49 PM
DFA
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 66 Double B
DFA

Diamondback's website is somewhat vague for details on C2 Corvette whitewalls.
Please post or PM more details on these. Tire brand, ww thickness, price?

thanks
These are Diamondback II, 205-75-15, 5/8" whitewall, they are a Toyo tire. They cost $229 each.......

Last edited by DFA; 10-31-2019 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
66 Double B (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Wow! What a deal!
Aflyer (01-20-2020)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:16 PM
dinahmohumm
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were the same tire (Toyo) only with a 3/8 inch whitewall (similar in width to the redlines).
Old 10-31-2019, 06:36 PM
C2 Jeff
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a set of cooper trendsetters in 2017 and had the exact same yellowing problem. I could get them clean, but they'd yellow within 3 weeks.
I was about to ready to toss them and go with Diamondbacks when a found a youtube video about using sandpaper on the whitewalls in addition to LA awesome (similar to Wesley's, sold at dollar general). Using this method, the WW have never been brighter, and with every application the yellowing doesn't show up as fast. I haven't done them since a show in late September and they still look pretty good. I'm guessing at least part of the result ss due to all of the excess crap finally leaching out of the tire.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by dplotkin
I find that the Diamondbacks with the custom whitewall applied by them rather than tire manufacturer stay bright white, I have them on 2 cars for 3 years no problem. My Firestones on the Corvette are slowly going brown....

Dan
I went the Tiger Paw route with three sets of tires. First set the black bled through the whitewall. The next two sets were damaged in transit, no protection on the whitewalls and they were worse than I had on my car.

Finally paid the $$ and got the Diamondbacks with the custom whitewall. Very satisfied!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
My impression from experience and reading extensively is that whitewalls turn yellow and rubber rots due to the "green revolution" where manufacturing processes are altered to produce less CO2 (at least in theory). The Michelin Pilot Super Sports I had developed severe cracking after around 5 years of modest use, but the ten year old Goodyears on a different car have no cracks despite having more miles. More damage from the climate hoaxers.
I would have to agree, Michelin which owns Uniroyal now claims their tires are made in the USA and if so, probably would account for the change in the manufacturing process to go green and in doing so has degraded the quality and longevity of these tires. My DD has Michelin black walls that have minimal tread wear but are showing UV cracks after only 10,000 miles. Went through this on the wifes car with 2 year old tires as well and they replaced them after a lot of arm twisting. It's no wonder the new white walls won't hold up, when the black walls degrade so fast. Agree with GTO guy, most all rubber products are not what they used to be. By contrast, the WW Cokers I have on my 59 (older but still perfect) have had zero issues with the white walls yellowing. I hate to say it, but I think it's something we are going to have to live with like the Ethanol fuel.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:40 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Wsw

Hankook installed October 2nd, so far so good.
Earl

Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by bigearl56
Hankook installed October 2nd, so far so good.
Earl

Thats encouraging.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:11 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Frank,

FYI, I put Hankook Mileage Plus II whitewall tires on my '60 back in 2012. The whitewalls stayed white for a couple of months and then started yellowing. I have been fighting to keep them bright ever since then by using many of the methods mentioned above. It's a losing battle. They start yellowing again right away.

I see bigearl56 has Optima tires and not Mileage Plus, so I don't know if that makes any difference or not. But since you mentioned Hankook, I thought I would share my experience with Hankook tires with you.

BTW, I love the tires as far as handling, ride, wear, etc. Just can't keep the darn whitewalls looking white.

Terry
Old 11-01-2019, 02:14 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

When I worked for a national rubber company in the 80's-early '90's, I saw many, many Michelin tires come in with 80% of their tread left, but cracking and crumbling into dust. They've had poor quality rubber for a long time....In sunny CA, they crack and fail in very short order. A far cry from the ones we had on our Peugeot back in the 1960's, which wore like iron and didn't crack. I would never put Michelins on any car I actually wanted to drive.
Brian VH McHale (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Its frustrating but I'm hoping I have bigearl's luck with the Hancook's; I believe they're made in Korea so maybe that helps....
We'll see, I have no problem spending more money for a Diamondback if need be but it should be unnecessary...
Old 11-01-2019, 03:44 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I just did a search for white tire paint and several items came up to include white tire paint from at least two mfgs as well as a number of paint sticks and marking pens suitable for the task. Here's one:

WHITE SIDEWALLS

Ranger Labs

$ 15.00

Ranger Tire Paint provides the best method for creating a white sidewall. Capable of providing over three coats of paint for all four tires, the Ranger Tire Paint White Sidewalls can create that simple sidewall shine.

Specifications
Each Ranger Tire Paint can is half a pint, enough paint to coat four standard sized tires with a 3” whitewall three times.
  • (1) 8 oz. can of White Sidewall Ranger Tire Paint
Sounds like this is worth a try!
Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
I just did a search for white tire paint and several items came up to include white tire paint from at least two mfgs as well as a number of paint sticks and marking pens suitable for the task. Here's one:

WHITE SIDEWALLS

Ranger Labs

$ 15.00

Ranger Tire Paint provides the best method for creating a white sidewall. Capable of providing over three coats of paint for all four tires, the Ranger Tire Paint White Sidewalls can create that simple sidewall shine.

Specifications
Each Ranger Tire Paint can is half a pint, enough paint to coat four standard sized tires with a 3” whitewall three times.
  • (1) 8 oz. can of White Sidewall Ranger Tire Paint
Sounds like this is worth a try!
I just read their testimonials but saw nothing about how long it lasts, that would be my concern.

I typically wash and wax my 65 about once a month but sometimes clean the WWs in between if I scuff them. Nothing said on their website about scrubbing with a brush either.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:06 PM
t_gwiner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Jeff
I bought a set of cooper trendsetters in 2017 and had the exact same yellowing problem. I could get them clean, but they'd yellow within 3 weeks.
I was about to ready to toss them and go with Diamondbacks when a found a youtube video about using sandpaper on the whitewalls in addition to LA awesome (similar to Wesley's, sold at dollar general). Using this method, the WW have never been brighter, and with every application the yellowing doesn't show up as fast. I haven't done them since a show in late September and they still look pretty good. I'm guessing at least part of the result ss due to all of the excess crap finally leaching out of the tire.
I'm interested in what sand paper grit you use. I searched on YouTube and couldn't find a video like this.....do you happen to have a link to it?

I scrub my whitewalls once a month with a red scotch brite pad and westley's bleach white and they always turn brown. Its getting frustrating......then I look over at my dads white walls that are over 20 years old and have literally never been touched and his are white as can be.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I sense that a run on the landfills for discarded 6 year old tires with full tread and white, whitewalls is coming.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 612 Likes on 334 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I opened up a chat with the Ranger Labs people and asked about how long it is expected to last and if you can carefully clean them without damage to the painted whitewall. Here's the answer I received from them:

"The paint is expected to last at least six months, more if the paint is not damaged by driving up on curbs. Additionally, the stripe can be cleaned by basic soap and water."

Last edited by Panama 58; 11-01-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I just cleaned up the whtiewalls that were in the first post so I wouldn't be embarrassed at any car show tomorrow.... Wesley's didn't make a dent in the discoloration, neither did the classic brillo pads. I literally sanded the snot out of them to get them white and used the flexible blocks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Driak-6PC100x70x26mm-Sanding-Sponge-Abrasive/dp/B07211P58H/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=300+grit+sanding+blocks&qid=1572643769&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/Driak-6PC100x70x26mm-Sanding-Sponge-Abrasive/dp/B07211P58H/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=300+grit+sanding+blocks&qid=1572643769&sr=8-1

Ace Hardware sells them but its a ridiculous length to have to go to. It took so much sanding my arms are sore now...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-01-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Done with Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II radial tires

Old 11-01-2019, 05:54 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I just cleaned up the whtiewalls that were in the first post so I wouldn't be embarrassed at any car show tomorrow.... Wesley's didn't make a dent in the discoloration, neither did the classic brillo pads. I literally sanded the snot out of them to get them white and used the flexible blocks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Driak-6PC100x...2643769&sr=8-1

Ace Hardware sells them but its a ridiculous length to have to go to. It took so much sanding my arms are sore now...
You need to buy a $1 bottle of Totally Awesome cleaner at the dollar store......give it a shot. May save a lot of elbow grease. May not. Works for me, though.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Or you could just leave your car at home. Driving down the road, who cares how white your white walls are?.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:30 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeM
Or you could just leave your car at home. Driving down the road, who cares how white your white walls are?.
We're talking FTF here. Leaving the car at home= Not An Option.

Quick Reply: Done with Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II radial tires