C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Done with Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II radial tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 12:09 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 385 Posts

Frankie I hope that this makes you feel better. This is a '65 that is currently listed on Ebay. You can only imagine how they looked before the car was detailed for the for sale photos
Old 02-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
These are obviously self-tinting gold-lines, just wait a while longer...
Ugh. I had gold exhaust manifolds for a while when I used that VHT Hi Temp exhaust paint and it didn't cure right...

Yup - that's the actual color when the stuff finally dried - so, I've had enough of the gold bling - thanks just the same!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by provette67
Frankie I hope that this makes you feel better. This is a '65 that is currently listed on Ebay. You can only imagine how they looked before the car was detailed for the for sale photos
And sitting too high in the back without the spare tire tub with a spare on board!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-14-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:42 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by gjhinc
I couldn't hate Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II more! Just bought them last summer so I'll live with them for a while. Latest Bubba brain fart. Don't laugh until you try it.

Before

After
Marketing and selling these tires as 'white sidewall' is straight out fraud. They simply are not white. I would return them and demand a refund, and if not satisfied, would raise as much of a fuss as I could. It would be fine if you knew that they would be brown walls, but you didn't buy them with that understanding. You thought you were buying whitewalls.....but you obviously didn't get them. Those are the dingiest looking sidewalls I've ever seen, and I worked for a tire company for 14 years. Unacceptable.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:51 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by gjhinc
I couldn't hate Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II more! Just bought them last summer so I'll live with them for a while. Latest Bubba brain fart. Don't laugh until you try it.

Before

After
It’s not going he look you’re going for but I’d turn those “white walls” to the inside if you can’t get your money back.

Alternatively, if you show your car, I’d be sure to let everyone know who made those tires. Might even make up a a little sign that says, “Brown wannabe white sidewalls courtesy of Uniroyal”.

Steve
Old 02-14-2020, 03:37 PM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Alternatively, if you show your car, I’d be sure to let everyone know who made those tires. Might even make up a a little sign that says, “Brown wannabe white sidewalls courtesy of Uniroyal”.

Steve
Exactly what I've been doing.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:58 AM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Thought I'd share this about my Uniroyal Tiger Paws. I decided to take the advice of some here to contact Discount Tires and let them make it right if possible. They said they would and all I'd have to do was bring them in. Wish I would have thought of that before I tried my white sharpie brain fart idea. Oh, well. I went out and removed the sharpie white from all the tires. Here's the reason for the post. I removed the sharpie white with acetone. Yea. Yea. I know. Rubber and acetone don't mix! Actually, they do mix all too well. Which would lead to a really big problem later on. Like I said, I hate these tires. The punchline is with the sharpie white off, I kept rubbing with the acetone rag. Funny thing happened. The embedded brown in the whitewall started to fad. They actually returned to almost white. My theory was the brown was bleeding up from the tire. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Of course, I'm not recommending using acetone on tires!!! Ever! 1) It's stupid. 2) UNH would ask me to return my Chemical Engineering Degree.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:15 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Looking into it, apparently acetone will leech the oils or polymers out of rubber and many plastics and cause it to decompose. Using it to clean tires would be like using a brake fluid soaked sponge to soak bird crap off your painted hood or fender. Bad Ju-Ju.
The following users liked this post:
gjhinc (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

As per post #144

I have a friend on the Chevelle forum that says ...laquer thinner works like a charm to clean white letters on BFG's.

I haven't tried it on newer tires yet....but he knows his stuff.

In the car business/detail business back in the day....I learned that laquer thinner is a must have product for cleaning many things in that business.

I'm sure it will work on white walls too...

I still buy it by the five gallon pail...never been without some in 40 years.
No need to buy real high dollar thinner...wash thinner (paint gun) is better for this kind of thing. It's not quite as "hot"....but it's "nothing" like the almost greasy laquer thinner stuff you get at Lowes or Home Depo.(which won't work.
Go to any automotive paint store. They''ll know what you are talking about....and it not too expensive compared to the "good" stuff used in top end laquer paint.
gjhinc (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 01:31 PM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

My goto cleaning solvent has been acetone for 50 years. Lacquer thinner (acetone, toulene and methanol) is expensive for "the good stuff". And, the main useful solvent in lacquer thinner is acetone. And, acetone is water soluble. And, it tastes good in cocktails.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:53 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well my Hankooks (pics above) are still Lilly white, so I'm good, I don't know how Uniroyal can still sell a single whitewall at this rate.
Well, after reading 13 pages it seems the choice for replacing the 7-8 year old perfectly good tires on my ‘63 are the Hankook or the Diamondback. I don’t care for black walls on a ‘63 with the body color wheel look. I’m not entirely sure if I need them right this minute yet, though. I’m following your progress, Frankie!

Heres a question: I am selling a set of newish Cragar SS wheels off my ‘69 and it took me awhile but some members helped me figure out the weird date code, which seem to point to 1999. I feel like I have to tell anyone who considers buying them that it’s not recommended to use tires for driving that are 20 years old, even though the tread and walls look low-mile. In reality, Im selling the wheels but the tires are included.

However- as a result of this thread- it does seem that there is a real use for these Goodrich TAs as show car tires. The letters aren’t brown, nor will turn that way. They aren’t making them any more. I think these tires would be fine for cars driven on and off show car fields or to the occasional cruise in.

Thoughts? Is it “wrong” to sell these tires at all? I’m not interested in paying to remove them from the wheels.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:25 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Heck those T/A's are about the same age as the ones on the 1972 442 I'm finishing up the restoration on!! And mine have less than 25 miles on them....I am not going to buy new one's I don't care what anyone thinks!
vettebuyer6369 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:38 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

It's not wrong to sell the tires and wheels as they are. Those tires appear to be in excellent shape with zero UV degradation. They may be a bit hard by now, but definitely OK for a local show car or driver. I wouldn't drive cross country on them, but would have no problem using them in town for the next few years. I recently changed out a set of Goodyear Eagle ST's from 1992-94 on my '67 GTO, only because one of them showed signs of a deep crack. I didn't want to chance anything. The letters were (and are) still snow white and the rubber is still soft and not hardened.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:44 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Well, after reading 13 pages it seems the choice for replacing the 7-8 year old perfectly good tires on my ‘63 are the Hankook or the Diamondback. I don’t care for black walls on a ‘63 with the body color wheel look. I’m not entirely sure if I need them right this minute yet, though. I’m following your progress, Frankie!

Heres a question: I am selling a set of newish Cragar SS wheels off my ‘69 and it took me awhile but some members helped me figure out the weird date code, which seem to point to 1999. I feel like I have to tell anyone who considers buying them that it’s not recommended to use tires for driving that are 20 years old, even though the tread and walls look low-mile. In reality, Im selling the wheels but the tires are included.

However- as a result of this thread- it does seem that there is a real use for these Goodrich TAs as show car tires. The letters aren’t brown, nor will turn that way. They aren’t making them any more. I think these tires would be fine for cars driven on and off show car fields or to the occasional cruise in.

Thoughts? Is it “wrong” to sell these tires at all? I’m not interested in paying to remove them from the wheels.
If they are sold with a caveat as to their date and suitability, the prospective purchaser is then able to make an informed decision as to their intended use and if they're fit for purpose.

Doing this you're being transparent and honest and have covered all bases in your duty of care in making the purchaser aware of what they're buying … - GV
Old 02-20-2020, 02:51 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Well,, since we're talking about BFG TAs on other cars now, here's my experience. I have 15 year old (gasp, shock, horror!) TAs on my 67 Mustang .The tires have zero cracking or checking, maybe because the car is always stored indoors and covered. The rubber may be a little hard, but it still takes an imprint from a good push from my thumbnail. I see no reason to replace them, other than...............................

........................................ the damn white letters have always discolored and turned brownish since new. I can scrub the heck out of them with a Brillo pad or whatever and they will look great for about two months and then start to discolor again.

So from my perspective this isn't a new problem.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I used to run Radial T/As on my first gen Mustangs and they are good tires somebody will want them.... The old T/A letters (circa 1996) NEVER turned dingy or brown for me; never scrubbed them just shot some glossy tire shine product on them occasionally.:

As to the Hankooks - still bright white and I still haven't touched them, anybody that's going to Lakeland Saturday can check them out - I'm quite satisfied with them at this point and not looking for any other solutions...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-20-2020 at 02:57 PM.
vettebuyer6369 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Guru of the wrench
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default W/A width

Frankie, What is the width of the W /A on your Hankooks

Get notified of new replies

To Done with Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II radial tires

Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I used to run Radial T/As on my first gen Mustangs and they are good tires somebody will want them.... The old T/A letters (circa 1996) NEVER turned dingy or brown for me; never scrubbed them just shot some glossy tire shine product on them occasionally.:

As to the Hankooks - still bright white and I still haven't touched them, anybody that's going to Lakeland Saturday can check them out - I'm quite satisfied with them at this point and not looking for any other solutions...
Is that a “K” body GT?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:26 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by OLE442
Is that a “K” body GT?
No such thing as a K body per se. There was a K code engine , 289 solid lifter 271 hp named the HiPo.
The A code was 225 hp with a single 4bbl, the C code was 200 hp with a 2 bbl

These were all engine codes and were available in all body styles - fadtback, hard top, and convertible. You could also get a 200 ci straight 6!
Old 02-21-2020, 05:37 AM
OLE442
Safety Car

Well, the picture has the front fender engine emblems that appear to be the HiPo 289 emblems which anyone could add to any Mustang. I was asking if the body had the "K" designation in the VIN which would indicate that it was an original "K" HiPo engine equipped car....hence the "K" body question because it would have the "K" in the serial number if it were originally a HiPo 289 car.
Below is my 1965 Mustang 2+2 Fastback car which originally had the HiPo 289 engine emblem on the front fender and had a "K" in the vehicle ID number and was originally a HiPo 289 car. It had been drag raced and had a 351 Cleveland HO motor since it wasn't stock. I made it even less stock while I had it with a one piece glass front end (yes, actually fiberglass) and a Hurst Ram 4 shifter among other things.

So when I asked if it was a "K" body, I was just asking if it had a "K' in the vin since, it might not be a K body or even if it was, it might not have the original HiPo 289 in it. It's all actually a matter of semantics! Just a nice looking Mustang and I was curious of what it was.

Kinda like if someone had a 1969 BOSS 302 MUSTANG but it didn't have a "G" in the serial number...then the car wasn't originally a "real" BOSS 302.

Last edited by OLE442; 02-21-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Done with Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP-II radial tires