C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Brake Light Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Brake Light Wiring Question

I drove the '66 on Friday and had a few people temm me the right side brake light was out. I assumed it would be the bulb, but when I tested I found the low (parking) light was good, and the bright (turn signal) was good. But the brake light did not work. I assumed that there would be a left and right wire from the brake light switch, but the white and orange wires (according to my wiring diagram) are not left and right.

So, what should I look at next?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Turn single switch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nowhere Man:
65 Pro Vette (05-03-2020), bcwaller (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

I assume that this means that even though the right light flashes with the switch, the brake circuit is different? I'll pull the steering wheel and check what I can.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

If your description is completely accurate, the contact in the turn signal switch is all it can be. If the left brake light works, that eliminates the brake switch and supply. If the tail light (what you described as "park light") works on that side, that eliminates the ground. If the turn signal works on that side, that eliminates the wiring, bulb, socket, and ground. Here's a picture with an arrow showing you which contact is not making inside the turn signal switch. Just as a quick test, turn OFF the ignition, put the turn signal switch in the center, have someone watch or get where you can see if the brake light comes on. Now step on the brake and hold it down. If that side brake light is not on, move the turn signal up and down and watch that light. If it flickers or comes on in any position of the turn signal range (again, with key OFF), then that verifies a bad connection in the turn signal switch for sure.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 10-15-2019 at 08:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
64SilverbluePhx (11-04-2019), bcwaller (10-16-2019), C2Scho (05-04-2020)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If your description is completely accurate, the contact in the turn signal switch is all it can be. If the left brake light works, that eliminates the brake switch and supply. If the tail light (what you described as "park light") works on that side, that eliminates the ground. If the turn signal works on that side, that eliminates the wiring, bulb, socket, and ground. Here's a picture with an arrow showing you which contact is not making inside the turn signal switch. Just as a quick test, turn OFF the ignition, put the turn signal switch in the center, have someone watch or get where you can see if the brake light comes on. Now step on the brake and hold it down. If that side brake light is not on, move the turn signal up and down and watch that light. If it flickers or comes on in any position of the turn signal range (again, with key OFF), then that verifies a bad connection in the turn signal switch for sure.
Great instructions. I'll try that this weekend and hopefully be able to R&R the switch unless it's physically broken.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:44 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Guess what happened? I went to the car with the printout of the instructions, ready to diagnose and repair the problem. Tapped the brake pedal and everything is fine. I'll hold on to the instructions for next time...
Old 11-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Jack (65GGvert) has provided the probable issue. If your turn signal switch is original it may need a simple cleaning, especially since it's started working again. Intermittent problems are always the most difficult to fix.
I'm not sure how he does it but the edited picture Jack put up tells the tale perfectly.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 PM
redstar
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine did the same thing years ago. Mine was intermittent! Try wiggling the turn signal arm.
I ended up using needle nose pliers and made adjustments to the internal metal spring in the turn signal switch.
The following users liked this post:
SonnyAK (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 05:18 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got that problem going on now. Thx for the pic of the turn signal column assembly. Makes it easier and will save me a lot of time.

Tux
Old 05-03-2020, 08:16 PM
original76
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

66GGvert loves that turn signal picture. Sure helped me solve my problem/problems and understanding the circuitry. I read another post where the pic was shared. Must be a common problem. BTW, I bought a new turn signal switch after bending metal to get it to work. In the long run, I think it was money well spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Light Wiring Question

Quick Reply: [C2] Brake Light Wiring Question