C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Recommendations for impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 612 Likes on 334 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Recommendations for impact wrench

I have always depended on my hand tools for most things I need to do, but as I get older my arms and hands are telling me that I may need to buy a 1/2" impact wrench for such things as lug nuts, etc. I have been shopping for a while and am curious about how many ft/lbs of torque is enough to get the average variety of jobs done without over doing it? I see some in the range of 450 ft/lbs, 650 ft/lbs and some over 1,000 ft/lbs of maximum torque. I always torque my lug nuts to 65 ft/lbs and don't want to over torque them. I am also leaning towards a battery powered versus electric or air. It won't be used very often and a battery powered unit would be easier to store and access when needed. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:28 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Have both and compressor type is the best! Battery type no power and looses it quickly. Napa is compressor type and can do any chore!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Hands down the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact is one of the best battery powered impacts out there. I have one and was skeptical about how well a battery powered impact would really be until I bought and started using it. I used to use a MAC air impact gun powered by a 80 gallon IR compressor so there was no lack of air capacity. Bottom line I never use the air impacts any longer. The M18 impact does everything I need and with no hoses. For automotive use the M18 is the way to go from lug nuts to suspension bolts to rear end work I can't say enough good about it and I am a very hard person to impress. There are other big name brands out there but from my practical experience the Milwaukee is one of the best to get. I also have their smaller 3/8" and 1/4" drive impacts as well for smaller bolts.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Speed Dave:
Bowtyeguy (08-26-2019), Roger Walling (08-27-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Id go for a battery impact style driver for convenience. I have a Dewalt that I've used for years and it's never failed to remove a stubborn nut for me. They're also fairly stubby in build so they can usually access most areas. You can drive a nut on slowly and let it hit a couple of times, then finish with a proper torque wrench easily.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 341 Likes on 231 Posts

I am in dealer shops regularly and can tell you the pros are using battery powered tools exclusively except for a few old timers using air impacts for lug nuts.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The battery in my DeWalt hasn't been charged in a couple of months and I used it to take the front wheels off the other day....more than enough torque for most jobs and a long-lasting battery if you don't cheap out.

It was nice to have this tool in the judging hangar to install my original bias-ply tires for judging and then switch back to modern radials for the hour-long ride home on the interstate....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-26-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Yea, a battery operated impact seems to be more convenient as you could take it on the road with you. A few years ago I bought a air impact at Harbor Freight that really does the job well, as long as you have an air source. Its made in Taiwan which seems to be better quality than items made in China. I think I paid around $75.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 AM
BrotherVette
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

My neighbor helped with a hitch install recently and brought along his battery powered Milwaukee impact wrench. I was blown away by how much torque that had. Great tool.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

Milwaukee M18 and various air impact wrenches, I don't use the air anymore.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Milwaukee M18 1/2 impact works great - lots of torque - great battery capacity!
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I bought a used 1/2" drive DeWalt 20 volt battery-powered this year and it's amazing. You don't have to fool with compressors or cords, and it took off some pretty stubborn lug nuts with no problem. you can carry it on trips with you without having to have a compressor or electricity available.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-26-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I bought a used 1/2" drive DeWalt 20 volt battery-powered this year and it's amazing. You don't have to fool with compressors or cords, and it took off some pretty stubborn lug nuts with no problem. you can carry it on trips with you without having to have a compressor or electricity available.
This. It has more advertised torque then a Snap On battery one
Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,281 Likes on 819 Posts

I have nice Ingersol Rand, IR impacts for 1/2 and 3/8. Both work very well, I upgraded to the IR brand after my previous experience showed a good impact always got the job done. Both were expensive and have performed very well for 20+ years.

Today I have a Milwakee 3/8 which was a Christmas gift. I never thought I would use it. Guess what, I have not used my air powered 3/8 since this arrived. Now I want the 1/2" battery powered.
I think my IR 1/2" is rated 400+ ft pounds powered by air. It is really nice and never lets me down but not needing the air hose has me ready to make the switch.
Technology has come a long way in battery powered tools.

I expect we will soon see a paint spray guy that is battery powered and compresses air only as needed.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Just one point I'd like to make, the use of any impact wrench on chrome lug nuts will damage the finish on them in very short order. When removing and reinstalling chrome/stainless steel covered lug nuts, I only do it by hand and tighten with a torque wrench.

Just an FYI, 65Lbft does seem a bit low. Factory recommends 75 for steel wheels and 80 for aluminum for C2 & C3's.

I have both an older Snap-On air impact and an 18 volt battery powered. They both do an outstanding job, but I find I almost never use the air impact any longer. I've also heard good things about the M18 Milwaukee and the DeWalt impact wrenches, but I'm hooked on my Snap-On's so unless I'm given one, I'll stick with the Snap-On. (They also pay good quarterly dividends... )

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM
rlbock
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Ridgid 1/2 impact, battery operated

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Just one point I'd like to make, the use of any impact wrench on chrome lug nuts will damage the finish on them in very short order. When removing and reinstalling chrome/stainless steel covered lug nuts, I only do it by hand and tighten with a torque wrench.

Just an FYI, 65Lbft does seem a bit low. Factory recommends 75 for steel wheels and 80 for aluminum for C2 & C3's.

I have both and older Snap-On air impact and an 18 volt battery powered. They both do an outstanding job, but I find I almost never use the air impact any longer. I've also heard good things about the M18 Milwaukee and the Dewalt impact wrenches, but I'm hooked on my Snap-On's so unless I'm given one, I'll stick with the Snap-On. (They also pay good quarterly dividends... )

Good luck... GUSTO
I have had this one for several years and it works fantastic. The down side to any electric unit is the battery life, well if your buy from Home Depot and register your purchase within the required time frame you can get free replacement batteries, and warranty on the tool for life. Getting a replacement battery is a simple process and they ship right to your address.
Can’t beat the quality or warranty, way better then Dewalt
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,630 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The Earthquake series battery impact wrenches at Harbor Freight seem to be very good. I have a 3/8" ratchet one and a 3/8" impact gun. I went with the 3/8" because it's rated up to 375 lb-ft which I can probably believe with a full battery - and I bought it mostly for mechanics use rather than lug nuts. I forget what the 1/2" one goes up to. Just my personal preference but I still like putting lug nuts on with a torque wrench. I never have warped brake discs anymore.

I do have an old twin anvil Harbor Freight air impact that is about 30 years old. Not sure I remember the specs anymore but its pretty stout. It has either busted loose anything I put it on including upper air arm Mopar ball joints, or simply twisted the rusted fastener in two. I save it for last resort.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 08-27-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:25 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Battery impacts are noisier and have less torque, but are fine for a lot of jobs. For heavy duty use as a professional, I still have the double hammer Ingersol Rand impact gun I've had for over 35 years. Absolutely brutal in torque and bulletproof. I still use it at home today. Pneumatic impacts will provide more power than electric. When I use an electric on lug nuts, I check the torque afterwards. The lugs are never tight enough when I check them with a torque wrench, and I'm talking only 80 foot pounds here.........

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for impact wrench

Old 08-26-2019, 06:43 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

This should do the job!

The following users liked this post:
Desert Nomad (08-27-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Battery impacts are noisier and have less torque, but are fine for a lot of jobs. For heavy duty use as a professional, I still have the double hammer Ingersol Rand impact gun I've had for over 35 years. Absolutely brutal in torque and bulletproof. I still use it at home today. Pneumatic impacts will provide more power than electric. When I use an electric on lug nuts, I check the torque afterwards. The lugs are never tight enough when I check them with a torque wrench, and I'm talking only 80 foot pounds here.........
If this is the case you are using a crappy unit, this can't be farther from reality when comparing it to the M18 Fuel electric impact I have.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Mike C#2
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

I have, and love, my Interpol Rand 2135ti. It has more power than an older all metal 3/4” drive Chicago Pneumatic that I had bought for installing crush sleeves for diff work. And it is still the got to if something is just so tight I can’t move it.

But 99% of the time anymore I use the biggest 1/2” drive 20v DeWalt impact for wheel and suspension work. The 3/8” drive smaller one is great for all sorts of other car related jobs, and for years I used the impact driver with the female socket and 1/4” drive tool adapter for 1/2” and 3/8” sockets.

I had the big 18v DeWalt and was underwhelmed so put off getting a 20v for a long time. But it is awesome. The Milwaukee may even be a lot better, but I am married to the DeWalt tools because I have so many and battery compatibility.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for impact wrench