C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hydraulic Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:15 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Hydraulic Steering

Just finishing up my hydraulic steering install on my ‘66 L79. Moving the tie-rod ends to the inboard hole on the spindle has caused my toe in to be off. Any suggestions to correct this til I get to an alignment shop. Running bias-ply now with radials in the near future.
Thanks
Earl
Old 08-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,470 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Play with the tie rod adjustments yourself, you have very little to loose. I'm sure a video exists on YouTube. Dennis
Old 08-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 966 Posts

You can get it close yourself. Center the steering wheel and tie something from the steering wheel to the brake peddle. The goal is to keep the steering wheel centered. Next run a piece of string from the back of the rear wheels to the front of the front wheels. With the front wheels in the air, loosen the clamps on the steering rod and tighten or loosen the rod to get the string to evenly touch the front wheel. You may have to move the string a bit off and on the front wheel to get a good read. Do this for both sides. Tighten the clamps. This should get you to an alignment shop. Did you balance the steering with the engine running? Some valves come balanced some do not. Don't forget to bring your alignment specs with you to the shop. Good luck. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic Steering

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Steering