C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Jim Heck's 64 Race Car Toast

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Yes they do...... And before all of this I was editing a section out of one of my qualifying videos so everyone could see the concrete walls you can hit. And most have been in the VROC race. But now I realize I almost hit a Mustang in the video so will I offend him because I almost hit him or am I offended for missing him?? Here's the short clip so you can trash me either way.

https://youtu.be/eq27wivJV9A
Great video, thanks for sharing. Looks to me like you had the proper line and he cut you off, so I guess you can be offended.

I always have to recalibrate my brain when watching cars run clockwise down the main straight at Indy!
The following users liked this post:
C2Racer (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 10:01 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice video. Considering how hard that you and that 70 Mustang were going, I was really impressed by the white Mustang coupe that seemed to handle so well and was in another zip code in a hurry.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Drag racing, road racing, stock car racing, open wheel racing, vintage racing; ------ they all have the same last name, RACING!
Chip
Old 08-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If someone is racing, or owns a car that's racing, that's about as public as you can get. We get pics of quarterbacks getting sacked, we get pics of boxers with their faces battered. People take pictures, especially of a wreck. It's human nature and a fact of life.

If someone chooses NOT to post pics that's his choice. I fail to see how it's wrong or in poor taste for those who do.
The following 6 users liked this post by Railroadman:
ChattanoogaJSB (08-07-2019), Chuck Gongloff (08-08-2019), GTOguy (08-08-2019), leif.anderson93 (08-08-2019), rsinor (08-08-2019), tuxnharley (08-07-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:55 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
If someone is racing, or owns a car that's racing, that's about as public as you can get. We get pics of quarterbacks getting sacked, we get pics of boxers with their faces battered. People take pictures, especially of a wreck. It's human nature and a fact of life.

If someone chooses NOT to post pics that's his choice. I fail to see how it's wrong or in poor taste for those who do.
I agree with you Don. The only time I think reposting a wreck photo is when someone has lost their life- after all its somebody’s loved one and it’s in bad taste.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I agree with you Don. The only time I think reposting a wreck photo is when someone has lost their life- after all its somebody’s loved one and it’s in bad taste.
I agree with you, Benton, and almost edited my post just after making it to say just that.

In this case, though, while I certainly feel bad for the owner (and the car itself), the driver had only minor injuries, it is a race car and such an outcome has to be considered every time it enters a track.
The following 2 users liked this post by Railroadman:
ChattanoogaJSB (08-07-2019), GTOguy (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Jim was racing with me and others in the SVRA VROC Staurday when Lynn St. James stuffed it into the wall at Indy. The same wall that ended Ralph Schumacher's racing career. I feel really bad for Jim, a very nice person who didn't deserve this for sure. If you know him send a note maybe. My car was maybe 100 yards behind her but I did not get the wreck on video as they were turning the corner going out, just the results.

https://racer.com/2019/08/04/st-jame...vroc-accident/

Steve
Steve, Sad sight for sure and I'm sure depressing for Jim if he's running on a tight budget. But the car certainly looks repairable. Nowhere near totaled. Doesn't look like the windshield's damaged. I'd guess way under 30k would get her back in fighting shape assuming the engine's good. It's probably early in Jim's recovery decision process, but is his biggest hurdle emotional, financial, or just the end of a lifetime of racing?

Pretty amazing that Lyn wasn't hurt. Anyway, curious because the tone seemed he was ready to throw in the towel, but that may be all wrong. Thanks
Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
Steve, Sad sight for sure and I'm sure depressing for Jim if he's running on a tight budget. But the car certainly looks repairable. Nowhere near totaled. Doesn't look like the windshield's damaged. I'd guess way under 30k would get her back in fighting shape assuming the engine's good. It's probably early in Jim's recovery decision process, but is his biggest hurdle emotional, financial, or just the end of a lifetime of racing?

Pretty amazing that Lyn wasn't hurt. Anyway, curious because the tone seemed he was ready to throw in the towel, but that may be all wrong. Thanks
Oh no I don't think it's done but what you are not seeing is the back hit the wall too I think, but I'm not sure how badly. It's a lot of work but I know he has great pride in the car and will fix it if he can. I wish him the best!

Steve
Old 08-08-2019, 11:50 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Video now unavailable.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 546 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have wondered about the financial arrangements for the pro-am races and liability. I am finishing up an AP Corvette and am not sure if I would be willing to just share it with a name driver after putting hundreds of hours prepping and many thousands of dollars in the build. Damn shame about Jim's car, wish him the best. I've drug home a wrecked race car a few times, it SUCKS !
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,760 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
I have wondered about the financial arrangements for the pro-am races and liability. I am finishing up an AP Corvette and am not sure if I would be willing to just share it with a name driver after putting hundreds of hours prepping and many thousands of dollars in the build. Damn shame about Jim's car, wish him the best. I've drug home a wrecked race car a few times, it SUCKS !
The Goodwood Revival of Speed has a lot of cars that are driven by ex-Le Mans drivers whose wealthy owners are from the Continent. Those cars really get thrashed. I have seen the same situation in the U.S. One thing you have to remember is that these "star" drivers have no equity in the car, are used to driving for teams sponsored with other peoples' money, and, as a result, have no issue with taking things to the limit. I have seen it time and time, again. Something to consider before you make that decision. They have very little to lose; not the same for you, however.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 08-08-2019 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChattanoogaJSB (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM
jstewart10
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting Steve. I hope that the attention leads to people pitching in to help.

Also, i thought i saw an article from last year saying that he was retiring from racing??? (because of that i was surprised to see him there)

I remember talking to him last year when he and a couple of others were having rear diff problems and they were in the throes of changing it out (again).

Jason
Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by jstewart10
Thanks for posting Steve. I hope that the attention leads to people pitching in to help.

Also, i thought i saw an article from last year saying that he was retiring from racing??? (because of that i was surprised to see him there)

I remember talking to him last year when he and a couple of others were having rear diff problems and they were in the throes of changing it out (again).

Jason
Thanks Oh he has been racing a frantic schedule the last two years. One that I can't keep up with so my guess is it gets fixed fast and he's back at it. I hope so!

Steve
Old 03-09-2022, 07:39 PM
C5Luv'R
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Reviving this as I just stumbled upon it…

I used to be a neighbor of Jim Heck from 1988-1992. In fact, I used to mow his yard! He was a very nice guy. I loved seeing and hearing him driving this car on shakedown runs in our neighborhood before an event. It looked and sounded great!

I saw his daughter at our high school reunion in a 2016 (she and I were classmates) and she told me he was still vintage racing. I am glad to hear no one was hurt in this unfortunate accident.

Last edited by C5Luv'R; 03-10-2022 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-10-2022, 03:10 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Luv'R
Reviving this as I just stumbled upon it…

I used to be a neighbor of Jim Heck from 1988-1992. In fact, I used to mow his yard! He was a very nice guy. I loved seeing this car driving shakedown runs in our neighborhood before an event. It looked and sounded great!

I saw his daughter at our high school reunion in a 2016 and she told me he was still vintage racing. I am glad to hear no one was hurt in this unfortunate accident.
Jim's had the car been back together for a while now, and is out racing it again. I was at the Sebring vintage races two weeks ago, crewing for a friend on his 65 Corvette, and Jim was there too. Got to speak to him once on Thursday, but then our weekend went bad, and we spent the next 2 days rewiring our car, keeping us from getting much time to socialize. I'm still in Florida, but will be heading home tomorrow. Once I get back and get caught up with things, I'll try to post some pictures from the weekend.
The following 4 users liked this post by gbvette62:
C5Luv'R (03-10-2022), don lemelin (08-25-2022), Lotsacubes (03-10-2022), SonnyAK (03-10-2022)

Quick Reply: [C2] Jim Heck's 64 Race Car Toast