C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trim tag and color changed by seller

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 03:06 PM
SeeYah
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't hold your breath about the buyer protection from ebay, especially when this guy has 1400+ feedbacks. Ebay has made a lot of money off of him at $125/car. My personal experience.....I bought a car on ebay a couple of years ago where the condition was misrepresented by the seller and had a title that was still in the prior owner's name after 7 years of the seller's ownership. I contacted ebay and they basically refused to intervene or reverse the sale. It was on me to resolve. (The seller had 97+% positive feedback). The seller refused to refund my money and take the car back. It was a sub $10K sale on a project ca so it wasn't worth suing over. Due to the title issues, I had to secure an insurance bond for the title which cost me a couple of hundred dollars and he did end up paying for it but it ended up hurting me when I went to sell the car recently and having the words BONDED across the title header scared off some buyers..

You are dealing with a seller that has not been honest in his dealings and I doubt that is going to change.. It is going to be your call. Weigh your options...in my opinion, you've been given great advice from a couple of attorneys here.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jbalch
OP, If I were you, I would want an expert to confirm the trim tags associated with the car are real and not reproductions, especially the "original" tag...
I have identified an appraiser in my area that is part of a larger organization out of SoCal. It would be $400 to $500. I have not spoken to him but that is the advertised cost. My plan is to call him after I get the car. If anyone else has a recommendation in my area I would love to get it. I am north of San Jose about 20 miles.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:10 PM
lawdawg
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Go ahead and lodge a complaint w ebay. That process takes several days. You will have put him on notice that you aren't going to put up w his crap. Ok, so I reconsider the shipping, it's his foul up, offer 2500 and unwind he deal. The truck is possibly still in Florida .

ive been to the rodeo a few times, I'm speaking from experience, not Monday am quarterback replay show!
Old 06-29-2019, 03:20 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by lawdawg
Why don't you call him and offer to "unwind the transaction" and you eat the shipping cost if need be.

. Chalk it up to experience, and find a real car. I personally would rather have a resto engine with good unremoved tags than visa-versa. I think most folks would agree. The seller used to operate under another name down there many years ago if I recall, he is probably fully aware of what he has done, and knows the risk.
If it were me I would not be “eating” anything. If the seller would take the car back with full refund, pay to have it shipped back AND pay the shipping already paid that would be the bare minimum I would accept.

The best thing for the seller to do is to make restitution for his sin to the buyer if the buyer is willing to accept that. The car is now in the public eye and if the seller takes it back he is going to have to adjust the price now to get it sold unless he finds a buyer that does no research which is taking a big chance because “someone” from this site will be sure to post the V.I.N. on the net and link to this story if he in fact takes the car back.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneralT
As part of our phone conversation after I discovered the deception, I was discussing with him what the ramifications were of the switch, and I stated: "So this means that it would never make any sense to try and take this car to the next level (NCRS) because it would never be accepted due to the switched color and trim tag, correct?" And he confirmed that was the case. He also said it wouldn't be worth it financially even if the car were original, which I thought was probably true but that is today. 10 years from now... who knows. My current intent was just to get a nice driver that I could enjoy driving locally once or twice a week and that would hold it's value. I thought the original black/red combo was my ticket there. Getting the original trim tag is important to me and although he committed to send it with the title things have obviously gone sour. I emailed him yesterday to get a status on the title since it was 10 days yesterday since I had paid for the car. He always responds promptly in the past, but as of this writing he has not responded. I have put together the entire write up with supporting documentation to provide to eBay to make a claim. I hope I don't have to add not getting the title to that. I will submit it early next week if this has not been resolved (not looking good).

I would add that one thing I have learned from this saga is that without an unbroken line of evidentiary documentation from the day the car was sold, you really can't be sure what you have. In this case I only know what I don't have!
It's unfortunate that the fraudulent flipper got to the car first. For what you wanted (nice black on red driver), it would have been just about perfect had you bought it from the previous dealer, who properly advertised it for what it was.

Good luck with a resolution, whatever you do! It's a beautiful car if you keep it, but you certainly have a case to return it, or reach some other agreement.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:09 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace
It's unfortunate that the fraudulent flipper got to the car first. For what you wanted (nice black on red driver), it would have been just about perfect had you bought it from the previous dealer, who properly advertised it for what it was.

Good luck with a resolution, whatever you do! It's a beautiful car if you keep it, but you certainly have a case to return it, or reach some other agreement.
Thanks. The seller did dump about $6K into it to bring it up to it's current state. The receipts are with the car, so I have not seen them yet but no reason to believe that is not true as you can see the difference between the two ads. He added power brakes, replaced the seat cushions, found an original jack, added a spare, put the current tires on it that are more suitable to the car, did some mechanical work and detailed the engine compartment. He also did some interior touch up (minor). He was up front that the paint job is good not great. I asked him where he would spend the money if he were him to take it to the next level. He said he would paint it (suggested $7,500 for a top quality paint job) and said he would re-chrome the bumpers... said they are in nice condition but are original. He also suggested adding headrests for looks and safety, which I am going to do if I keep it. He definitely added value from where the prior seller was at with the car. He saw an opportunity to make it look better and make a profit. Unfortunately he went one step too far with the trim tag. Was it really worth the risk for the additional dollars it represented? Doesn't seem like it.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:11 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

GeneralT;

First, I feel your pain. You searched for something very specific, you searched for it, you thought you found it, and then found out it wasn't really what you thought it was.

Having said that, forget about any hurt feelings, and anger because of deception, etc.

I am not an attorney, and I do not play one on TV, but I have seen this situation often enough to understand that IF, IF, IF this goes to court, what the court is going to care about is how much financial damage did you incur as a result of this.

Lets look at the specific details;

The exterior color matches the color listed on the trim tag.
The interior color matches the trim tag.
The trim tag is a factory trim tag.

So, here are the things that I am wondering about:

How much difference is there between the body build tag of the original trim tag and the body build tag of this trim tag.

Current body Build Tag Date: J16 Previous Body Build Tag Date:
Current Body Build Tag TRIM: 407BA (Red Vinly) Previous Body Build Tag TRIM: 407BA (Red Vinly)
Current Body Build Tag BODY #: S7781 (St. Louis Body # 7781) Previous Body Build Tag BODY #: (St. Louis / AO Smith Body # )
Current Body Build Tag PAINT: 900AA Previous Body Build PAINT: 972AA

In other words, are the numbers that are on the current trim tag "reasonable" numbers for this VIN? Is the body build number of S7781 a "reasonable" body number for this VIN?

Look at it another way...if you had not found this seller's purchase of a 1966 trim tag, would you have any way of knowing, buy carefully examining the car, that is black was not it's original color. Lets extend that just a bit, would a qualified Corvette appraiser / judge be able to tell that the trim tag has been changed.

OK, now, what is the decrease in value as a result of this.

That is a hard one to answer. Some people will say $10K, some people will say you actually gained value. You have a "correct" black / red car vs. a "correct" white / red car.

When presented with the evidence, the seller did not lie about what he had done. He modified / increased the value of the car.

Note that I am not arguing for or against this sort of modification, but I do believe that it should be CLEARLY disclosed upfront. That seldom happens.

I know of a car where this sort of modification was made. It was made at the request of the owner. Thew car was an original 1964 FI convertible, Saddle tan with a tan interior and white top. It went onto a triple black 64 FI car, with a factory TRIM tag that had the same date code as the original trim tag. The saddle / saddle trim tag went onto the 250hp auto (NOM) 64 convertible, and it went out the door.

The buyer of the "NOW" saddle / saddle car did not ask about the trim tag. The owner of the "NOW" black / black 64 FI car was very pleased with the car, and it got NCRS top flight , and Bloomington Gold.

You have a nice car, even if it is not what you thought you bought.

But the question remains, was was the financial impact to you because of this. That is what the courts are going to have to decide.

Best of luck on you Corvette

Last edited by emccomas; 06-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:16 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Originally Posted by lawdawg
Go ahead and lodge a complaint w ebay. That process takes several days. You will have put him on notice that you aren't going to put up w his crap. Ok, so I reconsider the shipping, it's his foul up, offer 2500 and unwind he deal. The truck is possibly still in Florida .

ive been to the rodeo a few times, I'm speaking from experience, not Monday am quarterback replay show!
If you have been through filing a claim with eBay I would be interested to know your experience as to what I can expect. Do you know if they will attempt to mediate with the seller? Many years ago I had substantial experience with eBay, even met the former CEO. They were impossible to deal with then, but this is eBay motors and the dollars are much bigger on this kind of transaction so my hope is that they assign someone competent to the claim and give them the time to deal with it properly.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:29 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

. He said he would paint it (suggested $7,500 for a top quality paint job) .
As I wait with bated breath for several to jump in and say that you can't any kind of decent paint job for less than $25K....

Sorry to hear of this, OP, i think you have received some good advice, get the original tag in your possession,a nd don't worry about things if you like the car the way it looks now, and you plan on keeping it,and driving it, for a while.. It's really NOT all about the money, as some believe. Yes, nobody likes to be taken advantage of, and if you can get more, great, if not tell the story publicly, and name names, leave feedback as such and move on.

Doug
Old 06-29-2019, 04:34 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

GeneralT;

Decide if you can live with the car at any given "reasonable" price

If, not, ask the seller to reverse the deal to the point where you are out no financial loss.

If yes, what is that dollar value that you can live with?

Ask the seller to compensate you for that difference in value.

In other words, put the ball back in his court. Put the responsibility on the seller for making this transaction fair.

Give the seller the opportunity to make it right first.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:35 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Ed,
apparently you have not read this thread in it’s entirety or you would know that the trim tag date of the replacement tag is a month off compared to the cars “birthday” by V.I.N.

To the OP,
When you get the title be sure to check the date of issue. The seller advertised the car as “clear title” and if that were true he should have had it in hand to send immediately. My guess is he has been alerted of this thread and is moving to do all he can to protect himself. Probably the reason it is taking so long to get the title is because he is having it put in his name to avoid being classified as a dealer in this sale. It is not going to change his liability based on the way he represented the car but you should scrutinize the title the best you can for history as far back as you can to see the chain of ownership for as much ammunition as you can have.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:35 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Originally Posted by emccomas
GeneralT;

First, I feel your pain. You searched for something very specific, you searched for it, you thought you found it, and then found out it wasn't really what you thought it was.

Having said that, for get about any hurt feelings, and anger because of deception, potential fraud, etc.

I am not an attorney, and I do not play one on TV, but I have seen this situation often enough to understand that IF, IF, IF this goes to court, what the court is going to care about is how much financial damage did you incur as a result of this.

Lets look at the specific details;

The exterior color matches the color listed on the trim tag.
The interior color matches the trim tag.
The trim tag is a factory trim tag.

So, here are the things that I am wondering:

How much difference is there between the body build tag of the original trim tag and the body build tag of this trim tag.

Current body Build Tag Date: J16 Previous Body Build Tag Date:
Current Body Build Tag TRIM: 407BA (Red Vinly) Previous Body Build Tag TRIM: 407BA (Red Vinly)
Current Body Build Tag BODY #: S7781 (St. Louis Body # 7781) Previous Body Build Tag BODY #: (St. Louis / AO Smith Body # )
Current Body Build Tag PAINT: 900AA Previous Body Build PAINT: 972AA

In other words, are the numbers that are on the current trim tag "reasonable" numbers for this VIN? Is the body build number of S7781 a "reasonable" body number for this VIN?

Look at it another way...if you had not found this seller's purchase of a 1966 trim tag, would you have any way of knowing, buy carefully examining the car, that is black was not it's original color. Lets extend that just a bit, would a qualified Corvette appraiser / judge be able to tell that the trim tag has been changed.

OK, now, what is the decrease in value as a result of this.

That is a hard one to answer. Some people will say $10K, some people will say you actually gained value. You have a "correct" black / red car vs. a "correct" white / red car.

When presented with the evidence, the seller did not lie about what he had done. He modified / increased the value of the car.

Note that I am not arguing for or against this sort of modification, but I do believe that it should be CLEARLY disclosed upfront. That seldom happens.

I know of a car where this sort of modification was made. It was made at the request of the owner. Thew car was an original 1964 FI convertible, Saddle tan with a tan interior and white top. It went onto a triple black 64 FI car, with a factory TRIM tag that had the same date code as the original trim tag. The saddle / saddle trim tag went onto the 250hp auto (NOM) 64 convertible, and it went out the door.

The buyer of the "NOW" saddle / saddle car did not ask about the trim tag. The owner of the "NOW" black / black 64 FI car was very pleased with the car, and it got NCRS top flight , and Bloomington Gold.

You have a nice car, even if it is not what you thought you bought.

But the question remains, was was the financial impact to you because of this. That is what the courts are going to have to decide.

Best of luck on you Corvette
I appreciate the feedback and I realize that this thread has gotten so long that trying to step in and follow the whole thing is too much of a time investment. I have broken 40 posts myself on this thread trying to keep up! I have gotten some excellent advice here from two people who are attorneys. It has been very helpful. I am not emotional about this. It is just a situation that needs to be resolved. I am actually still excited to get the car and hoping there are no more surprises. I will only attempt to unwind the sale if there is no other way to resolve this. Someone who inspects these cars has also posted here and said they would have found the trim tag problem in this case because the date code is off by one month on the new tag. I didn't have it inspected. I relied on the seller's reputation and significant expertise. I am not sure if anyone would say I gained value (maybe the seller!), but changing the ID on the car without disclosure is a fraudulent practice under any circumstance and I don't personally understand why it would ever be done, other than to deceive.

The seller didn't lie to me when presented with the evidence because he had about 2 seconds to think of what to say when I told him what I had found. The evidence didn't leave any wiggle room. He took the tact of trying to convince me that because the trim tag was "original" that it wasn't a problem. Being it was the first C2 Corvette I ever purchased (I bought a new Corvette in the 80's) he knew I was inexperienced.

Geoff

Last edited by GeneralT; 06-29-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:42 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

GeneralT;

I see your point now.

I hope it all works out for you, however it works out.

Please don't hesitate to keep asking questions, we can all easily tell you the wrong thing to do

Good luck sir.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Ed,
apparently you have not read this thread in it’s entirety or you would know that the trim tag date of the replacement tag is a month off compared to the cars “birthday” by V.I.N.

To the OP,
When you get the title be sure to check the date of issue. The seller advertised the car as “clear title” and if that were true he should have had it in hand to send immediately. My guess is he has been alerted of this thread and is moving to do all he can to protect himself. Probably the reason it is taking so long to get the title is because he is having it put in his name to avoid being classified as a dealer in this sale. It is not going to change his liability based on the way he represented the car but you should scrutinize the title the best you can for history as far back as you can to see the chain of ownership for as much ammunition as you can have.
Ed,

The title situation is indeed a mystery. His story was that he had just paid off the car and was waiting for the title from the DMV, which would take 7 to 10 days. I asked him how certain he was that it would not be delayed beyond that (i.e. what kind of mess is the Florida DMV). He assured me it always happened in this time frame. I now realize the paying the loan off story has to be false. He would not have paid the sales tax in the flip and he didn't drive the car for 7 months as he said given the total of 23 miles on the car from the odometer reading in the prior dealers ad to when he sent me the video of it being loaded on the truck. If he was holding the title open from the prior sale then no reason to delay. If he was holding it in another entities name (dealer of some kind) then it still wouldn't take 7 to 10 days to get it to me. I don't understand the delay. And that is starting to worry me now that he won't answer my question as to the status of the title. If he has read this thread then sending me the title may be seen as a different kind of problem for him. If he does put it in his name, causing a further delay I assume he will have to pay the near 7% sales tax?

Geoff
Old 06-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

What a mess...
The following users liked this post:
vark_wso (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:10 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Originally Posted by SeeYah
Don't hold your breath about the buyer protection from ebay, especially when this guy has 1400+ feedbacks. Ebay has made a lot of money off of him at $125/car. My personal experience.....I bought a car on ebay a couple of years ago where the condition was misrepresented by the seller and had a title that was still in the prior owner's name after 7 years of the seller's ownership. I contacted ebay and they basically refused to intervene or reverse the sale. It was on me to resolve. (The seller had 97+% positive feedback). The seller refused to refund my money and take the car back. It was a sub $10K sale on a project ca so it wasn't worth suing over. Due to the title issues, I had to secure an insurance bond for the title which cost me a couple of hundred dollars and he did end up paying for it but it ended up hurting me when I went to sell the car recently and having the words BONDED across the title header scared off some buyers..

You are dealing with a seller that has not been honest in his dealings and I doubt that is going to change.. It is going to be your call. Weigh your options...in my opinion, you've been given great advice from a couple of attorneys here.
That is discouraging to hear. eBay will have to be confident in their legal position as they have made an offer of protection to entice people to purchase cars through their site. Only one of their disclaimers might apply here, but it would have to be interpreted in a somewhat twisted way, but I expect that having dealt with insurance companies who refused to cover a claim and ultimately did so (every time). It required attorneys to get involved each time. I do want to receive the car before I make a claim. That should be Tuesday or Wednesday. If I have not received the title by then, then I will have a different kind of additional problem to add. Geoff
Old 06-29-2019, 05:13 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Ed,

The title situation is indeed a mystery. His story was that he had just paid off the car and was waiting for the title from the DMV, which would take 7 to 10 days. I asked him how certain he was that it would not be delayed beyond that (i.e. what kind of mess is the Florida DMV). He assured me it always happened in this time frame. I now realize the paying the loan off story has to be false. He would not have paid the sales tax in the flip and he didn't drive the car for 7 months as he said given the total of 23 miles on the car from the odometer reading in the prior dealers ad to when he sent me the video of it being loaded on the truck. If he was holding the title open from the prior sale then no reason to delay. If he was holding it in another entities name (dealer of some kind) then it still wouldn't take 7 to 10 days to get it to me. I don't understand the delay. And that is starting to worry me now that he won't answer my question as to the status of the title. If he has read this thread then sending me the title may be seen as a different kind of problem for him. If he does put it in his name, causing a further delay I assume he will have to pay the near 7% sales tax?

Geoff

This was 68hemi not Ed. I was responding to both Ed and you the OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Trim tag and color changed by seller

Old 06-29-2019, 05:22 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Elwood13,

Your find is very, very interesting. I am going to have to think about this. I am beginning to understand why he is not getting back to me on the title. Oh boy!

Geoff
Old 06-29-2019, 05:32 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RonCL55
It is a crime to threaten criminal prosecution..
Question: Is that considered extortion? or some other crime?

Doug
Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM
GeneralT
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68hemi
This was 68hemi not Ed. I was responding to both Ed and you the OP.
Got it. Sorry about that. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: Trim tag and color changed by seller