C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MSD-6T Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MSD-6T Ignition

Folks,

Needs some advice. I have a MSD-6T installed on my 63SWC (327 engine with distributor). Last year, the engine would turn over, but would not start. I tried all the usual, still wouldn't start. I noticed the red battery cable from the MSD 6T was swollen. I cut the piece out, cut into the swollen area and noticed it looked like "SWOLLEN" blue plastic!!

The MSD 6T I have doesn't come apart, back looks to be permanently affixed. The wiring harness goes directly into the box.

Here is the question: I would like to just cut off the "bad" part of the red battery cable from the MSD box since I can't access the end of the cable within the MSD box itself. I would like to "splice" (via a crimped butt connector) a new piece of cable with the piece of the older cable. I ordered a new MSD harness from JEGS, cut off a section of the red battery cable.

I noticed the old cable was Aluminum. The new cable from JEGS is Copper.

Can I crimped these 2 different metals together without any issues?

thanks in advance for any advice,

Jim
Old 06-09-2019, 11:30 AM
rayL79
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 63 Posts

Doesn't sound like a good idea. It's known that galvanic action (eating away of one of the metals over time) can occur when dissimilar metals are touching, especially in the presence of moisture. If you know any electricians, they might be able to help you. They have some kind of goop that they put on connections involving aluminum household wiring, which is subject to the same issue.
Ray
Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

You sure the original harness is aluminum? Seems more likely to be tinned copper. I can't think of anything, and I mean anything in automotive electronics that used aluminum wire. If you're using crimp connectors I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW you can get the cover off an MSD box by drilling out the open-hole rivets that attach the cover to the heat sink/housing. The cables run through a grommet stuffed into the side of the housing. The grommet can be popped out easily enough but it's a PITA to get back in.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:11 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

AVISPA,

I think you are probably right, at the end of the cable it is shiny silver (looks like Al). It's probably the tin. The spot that is defective, it looks copper (plus a lot of copper oxide blue).

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To MSD-6T Ignition

Quick Reply: MSD-6T Ignition