C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crazy C-1 Values

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,777 Likes on 1,676 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
Tom,

Is there a web page, thread, or similar documenting the A26 project?

My wife works in the aircraft parts industry and several of her coworkers/friends would have interest in this.

Nick
There WAS a web called SAVE AN INVADER, but our one time web master is long gone and it has not been updated for a few years.
If you are interested, you can go to TEAM CHEVELLE, do a search for DZAUTO/A26 Progress and see all the pictures that I have posted over the years.
At one time (ACTUALLY a few times in the past), I have mentioned our A26 project, and there was VIRTUALLY zero interest (with the exception of John Hinkley, so I just updated him with emails) by the Corvette folks here. Although, even Cecil (Old Sky Dog) made a visit to our hanger in Guthrie (tried to sell us his T28). So I said screw 'um! The Chevelle guys could not get enough of our updates. Then suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, the Corvette guys were interested in our A26 project. But no way in hell was I going back and post hundreds of pictures of past progress. So if you want to check for update pictures on TEAM CHEVELLE, there are lots of pictures and information over there.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,777 Likes on 1,676 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
Tom,

Is there a web page, thread, or similar documenting the A26 project?

My wife works in the aircraft parts industry and several of her coworkers/friends would have interest in this.

Nick
There WAS a web called SAVE AN INVADER, but our one time web master is long gone and it has not been updated for a few years.
If you are interested, you can go to TEAM CHEVELLE, do a search for DZAUTO/A26 Progress and see all the pictures that I have posted over the years.
At one time (ACTUALLY a few times in the past), I have mentioned our A26 project, and there was VIRTUALLY zero interest (with the exception of John Hinkley, so I just updated him with emails) by the Corvette folks here. Although, even Cecil (Old Sky Dog) made a visit to our hanger in Guthrie (tried to sell us his T28). So I said screw 'um! The Chevelle guys could not get enough of our updates. Then suddenly, out of the clear blue sky, the Corvette guys were interested in our A26 project. But no way in hell was I going back and post hundreds of pictures of past progress. So if you want to check for update pictures on TEAM CHEVELLE, there are lots of pictures and information over there.

Also, IF, IF, IF it will open for you, here are many pictures that I've put on PHOTOBUCKET over the years. You are welcome to surf through them.
https://s65.photobucket.com/user/DZAUTO/library?page=1
Then go onto the left side, click A26 then click Sierra Hotel A26 Progress.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 06-04-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
I have stumbled on yet another nice original C1 that has been resto-modded. At least I am assuming that the car has been resto-modded.

The car went from Florida to down under (Australia) around 2010 or so.

The car was a nicely restored top flight, and went through the judging process. The car has original documentation, including the original delivery document.

Once the car made it to the bottom of the world, it was pulled apart. A mechanic in the Melbourne, Australia area ended up with the engine.

Questions about what this engine really was were recently posted on the tri-five chevy forum. Here is a link to that thread:

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205404

Here is a picture of the engine in question:
I'm wondering if that situation is an Australian anomaly. I've seen quite a few posts on this forum from Aussies complaining about their hot rod police and how difficult it is to get a modified car to be street legal. Perhaps importing a fully restored car in stock condition makes it easier to get past the inspectors, and then once certified street legal, make the modifications without having to go back for inspection?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:40 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
8. Corvettes bought for the sheer enjoyment of the vintage driving experience (both good and bad) are owned by people (like me, for example) who don't care what the cars are worth. In fact, to me they are just old Shev-a-lays. I'll drive and enjoy them for as long as I'm able.
This is why I have my car.
Dave
Old 04-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default It is a fine line, Doug--the Mona Lisa or a car you can drive and enjoyoy

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Yes.
It's like giving the Mona Lisa to a 5 year old kid so he can scribble on it with magic markers.

Whether or not the person can afford to do so, is irrelevant.

On the plus side, the motor was probably a restamp NOM, made up from ebay sourced parts.

Doug
Bunky says:
I bought my '56 in 1961, ran in the 12's with a de-stroked 327 at 8000 RPM's, and since, put it back on the street with a period correct 350 and Rochester FI. I'm good with the 300,000 miles and 60 years owning the car, and feel my original investment of $765 was OK.. Current build is a '54, which started as a NCRS. It will end up a 2000 pound car with 30+MPG, LS and homemade chassis, and i will recover my original cost selling all the correct NCRS parts to guys who will go from A to B in a covered trailer and hang the art on the wall when not at a show.. We campaigned a 61 Fuelie at Bloomington, and the absence of overspray on the frame cost us the Duntov.. Just saying, "Different Stroke..."--pun intended.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:28 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 510 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I always enjoy reading these threads about how much C1 Corvettes are worth, or will be worth in the future. My 1962 is a 64k original miles, numbers-matching 300hp 4-speed 2-top car. It is unmolested and unmodified, and runs & drives very nicely. It shows very well, but is no trailer queen. It has nicks and scratches, but hell, so do I. I drive it every opportunity I get, and the huge smile it always puts on my face is only matched by the people I see along the way. Everyone has something nice to say, and a gas station stop is like a mini car show. So, what IS it worth? I DON'T CARE. I bought this car for me, not for the next owner. I paid a fair price for it, but not exorbitant. I have been offered a LOT more than I paid for it . . . more, it seems, every year. Even if the bottom dropped out of the market for cars like mine (and I don't see that happening), I can't imagine losing money on it . . . .but as I said, that doesn't really matter to me. I love this car, what it represents (it was a retirement gift to myself after a 40-year career with the Syracuse Fire Department), and the smiles it elicits from me, my grandchildren, and just about everyone who sees it. I'm keeping it.

The following 6 users liked this post by fyreline:
AlHewitt (04-25-2021), MCMLXI (04-25-2021), OC-1 (04-25-2021), old60c1 (04-25-2021), ptjsk (04-25-2021), Todd H. (04-26-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:13 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

Default Nice ride

Beautiful car Fyreline. Continue to enjoy, and drive. I don't think a little modification to make the car better is a bad thing. I kept all the old parts from my '56 in case someone wants to go back to brake that don't work, steering that has 1930 technology (I fabricated a rack and pinion power steering, and added 100 horsepower. I did keep all the original stuff, including the engine which is now a coffee table.

Sunday in Texas

Tuned to 30+ MPG

This detaches with a click of the mag release and a loaded one is close by
The following 3 users liked this post by Fivepointfive:
AlHewitt (04-25-2021), fyreline (04-25-2021), rsavage1 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:40 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 443 Likes on 321 Posts

Good post
Old 04-25-2021, 03:58 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have bought and sold old cars all of my life but have slowed it down in the last 5 years focusing on what I plan to die with. When I was buying cars frequently I always watched what I spent in regards to it’s sales value. Today it doesn’t matter to me. It is all about the fun of driving them. Priorities change as your life goes on.
The following 2 users liked this post by 68hemi:
LeeS (04-30-2021), ptjsk (04-25-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:59 AM
Jerry Dukes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
I totally agree. How many of us have endlessly searched for a true survivor FI car ( that we could fit in the budget ) for decades ? Apparently some " well to do " took a judged pristine example only to tear it down and change. He could have purchased two drivers for this car value.
Yes I want one with a modern tech drive train but I would never change a piece on my big brake car. Basket case abused 61, step forward.
Very interesting comments about the desirability / value of the C1-FI cars. I agree to resto-rod a reasonably origional is a travesty. However my recent experience has been that a very good 59 FI unrestored unit (745 built) only recieved bids to 65,000. At the same time the rest-rods posted upper 6 figure sales. I just couldn't let it go to the dealers. It will probably become part of my widows estate.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:21 AM
Fivepointfive
Intermediate

I have a "Twin". to the one above on my '56 Vette, but this one is a 1961 with the correct distributor and original air cleaner. I took it off a running car, and plan to sell it for $9000. but I am knee deep in the 54 build, so i am not sure when I will take time to advertise it.. Probably needs to go to a NCRS guy, because of matching numbers. Not sure a street driver can justify the price. Original air filter may not be justified because a re-pop is about $900..
Old 04-30-2021, 04:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,369 Likes on 2,792 Posts

I think a thread on values from 2 years ago is probably better closed and a new thread started if you want to discuss C1 values in 2021, which are likely very different than when the OP started this thread.

Quick Reply: Crazy C-1 Values