C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Advice on header bow repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 PM
480tfs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Advice on header bow repair

As you can see from these pictures, my header bow is in pretty rough shape. Structurally it seems solid but it is rusted through in a few small places. Some of the tabs on the leading edge on the left end are also missing. I have heard of these being repaired by filling in the rusted out sections with epoxy or JB Weld. Any ideas on that? I'm also wondering if the missing tabs will be a problem when I go to install a new top. I know I can buy a new one for about $400 but I would rather fix this one if it makes sense.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:51 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I repaired one for a Camaro 3 decades ago using fiber glass mat in layers on the outside and inside (before I could afford a MIG welder). I first removed the rust in an acid bath and treated it with metal prep. The tabs that are missing are to hold the tack strip to which the top staples. You may have to utilize an epoxy or other method of retaining the tack strip. You might consider welding in strips of 18 ga. where the metal is missing in lieu of a Bondo or Glass repair. Welding in new metal is the way I would proceed today if I had to.

I had little choice back 30 years ago, but given the aftermarket replacements are available today, I would spend the $$$ and hope it fit correctly.

Ron
Old 02-01-2019, 06:52 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

That bow is toast. Buy a new one from Coffman Corvette (they make them).
Old 02-01-2019, 09:28 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
That bow is toast. Buy a new one from Coffman Corvette (they make them).
I would agree. Just an FYI. If some tabs are missing you can use sheet metal screws to hold down the tack strip. Drill thru the tack strip and attach it to the header with sheet metal screws. Then grind the tips of the screws even with the header and paint. I routinely use this method. However, as Mike said "this header is toast" There is way too much rust to deal with.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:53 AM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I would agree. Just an FYI. If some tabs are missing you can use sheet metal screws to hold down the tack strip. Drill thru the tack strip and attach it to the header with sheet metal screws. Then grind the tips of the screws even with the header and paint. I routinely use this method. However, as Mike said "this header is toast" There is way too much rust to deal with.
Sorry but you haven’t much to work with. The amount of time, effort and $$$ to try to fix it probably would only lead to very questionable/poor/ or bad results. If it was JUST the missing tabs the sheet metal screw method mentioned above ( in my experience) DOES work.

Last edited by Tmichaelson; 02-01-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 PM
480tfs
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Sounds like the best solution is to suck it up and buy a new one instead of trying to Bubba the one I have. I'll probably be happier in the end.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 PM
jet-tech
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I sent my fwd Bow to Coffman Corvette. After fixing the rust they shipped it back looking brand new. https://www.coffmancorvette.com
Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by jet-tech

I sent my fwd Bow to Coffman Corvette. After fixing the rust they shipped it back looking brand new. https://www.coffmancorvette.com
You didn't mention what it cost to have yours repaired . I wouldn't think that it would be that much cheaper than just buying a new one from Coffman's . I've fixed a couple of these bows and his bow would be time consuming to repair if you are doing it right and why would you have an expensive top installed on something that is not done right ?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:18 PM
jet-tech
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't that bad. I was also told by someone at Coffman Corvette that the reproduction ones did not fit like original. You never know, they my have improved the fit by now. You can always email pics of your bow and get a quote.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:20 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jet-tech
I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't that bad. I was also told by someone at Coffman Corvette that the reproduction ones did not fit like original. You never know, they my have improved the fit by now. You can always email pics of your bow and get a quote.
I just bought a complete new bow set from Coffman's last winter for my 57 and they are perfect . Probably better than factory ones .

Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 PM
480tfs
Instructor

I spoke with a very nice lady at Coffman the other day. She said they don't sell repop bows but they can rebuild mine. I gave her the gory details about mine and she said they can typically repair them for $300 or less and it takes a few weeks so I sent it in. I'll report back with results...
Thanks again everyone for all the ideas!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Repro Top bow

My top bow was in way better shape than the one posted here. I took my car to Al Knoch at Bloomington Gold for a new top and was told it would be better to use a repro. I did and was not happy with the fit. It looks to me like it is a little wider on each side than the original. I don't like the look but can live with it. If I had it to do over I would have my original repaired or told them to use my old one. It was just missing a couple of tabs but not rusted through.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Whoever is making the repro bows seem to be doing it right . When I had my 72 corvette I bought one and the fit was very good . I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one instead of repairing that one .
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

It is like a lot of repo parts. They go thru a learning cure and eventually get it right. Several years ago I had a repo bow that had too much curve. We had take it off and flatten it out a little.
If you decide to get a new one I would buy it from Coffman's. They make all the parts for C!, C2 and C3 convertible tops and are very through. Since I live about an hour away I have been in their shop several times. Clint was very helpful and gave me the tour. Also, if there is a problem he will stand behind it. .
Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
It is like a lot of repo parts. They go thru a learning cure and eventually get it right. Several years ago I had a repo bow that had too much curve. We had take it off and flatten it out a little.
If you decide to get a new one I would buy it from Coffman's. They make all the parts for C!, C2 and C3 convertible tops and are very through. Since I live about an hour away I have been in their shop several times. Clint was very helpful and gave me the tour. Also, if there is a problem he will stand behind it. .
I looked on their site for a 63-67 front header bow and couldn't find it separate . I know they make them because they make and assemble the whole bow sets , but someone said that they called and was told that they don't sell that part . Corvette America sells them so maybe that is where they get theirs and Coffman's only sells parts to dealers .
Old 02-08-2019, 09:28 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

I would call them and talk to Clint. I know they supply them to Al Knoch. They supply AK with all their frame top parts and in return AK supplies them their canvas tops. At the very least you will a better understanding of who manufactures them and which ones are the best quality. ( My guess is that there are not many suppliers ). Clint is very open and generous with his knowledge.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Buck19
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C2 soft top frame that I have removed the old vinyl top and weatherstripping from preparing for media blast/powder coating. I am making a list of the new replacement parts and wanted to make certain that I should use the OEM style fiberboard tack strip material. Is this the experts recommendation or, has someone manufactured a more reliable material that is currently being used or recommended by experts on CF? Additionally, if any CF softtop experts can make any suggestions for this process to avoid any rookie mistakes, I would appreciate any guidance or parts recommendations. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,343 Likes on 2,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck19
I have a C2 soft top frame that I have removed the old vinyl top and weatherstripping from preparing for media blast/powder coating. I am making a list of the new replacement parts and wanted to make certain that I should use the OEM style fiberboard tack strip material. Is this the experts recommendation or, has someone manufactured a more reliable material that is currently being used or recommended by experts on CF? Additionally, if any CF softtop experts can make any suggestions for this process to avoid any rookie mistakes, I would appreciate any guidance or parts recommendations. Thank you in advance.
Rather than add this to an old thread that isn't really related, consider starting a new thread with your question.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on header bow repair

Quick Reply: [C2] Advice on header bow repair