C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

L88 dip stick vs L72 dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:27 AM
tompugh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L88 dip stick vs L72 dip stick

I am running a 454 BBC short block with a 427 L72 top end. I am using a factory L88 oil pan which has a 3 inch welded deep sump. Its ugly but that how the factory made it. My problem is my dipstick indicates it is full after I add 4 quarts to an empty pan. This pan is suppose to hold 6 quarts. Did the L88 have a unique dipstick and diptstick tube or dip they use the stock L72 stick and tube and users had to remark the dipstick for 6 quarts?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:09 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,991 Likes on 4,809 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The L88 had no special pan. Same pan as all 65-74 B.B.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Can you post a picture of your oil pan? It sounds more like an aftermarket piece but not sure. Maybe Chevrolet did market a pan like that in their High Performance parts. Those deepened oil pans are a menace on the street if your car sits at a factory height. After I bottomed mine on a dip at a bridge years ago I go rid of it and put an factory 6 qt (5+1 in the filter) pan on it.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:32 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

It sounds like you have a factory deep sump oil pan that GM designed for drag racing. (quite rare) This pan started life as a standard 65-67 pan that had about 3" added to the sump area. It was never used in production but was available in service from the HD section of the parts book. A unique dip stick and tube was not used/shown for this pan.
The oil level would have been the same as a standard oil pan so the original dip stick and upper tube would be the same as an L72 425 HP.

The GM pan was made using two oil pans. One was sliced near the bottom just above the rounded section and the 2nd was sliced about an inch or two higher. Then the sections from both pans are welded together. If it's a factory deep sump pan, it will have only one weld bead going around the bottom. If it's a home made deep sump pan, it will most likely have two wld beads indicating that just a section was added to a stock pan.

I don't remember how many additional quarts of oil would be required but probably at least two or three.

If your dip stick shows full with only 4 quarts, I think either the dip stick or tube is incorrect. Maybe from a 68 and later engine?

Last edited by Critter1; 10-06-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 AM
tompugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Critter1
It sounds like you have a factory deep sump oil pan that GM designed for drag racing. (quite rare) This pan started life as a standard 65-67 pan that had about 3" added to the sump area. It was never used in production but was available in service from the HD section of the parts book. A unique dip stick and tube was not used/shown for this pan.
The oil level would have been the same as a standard oil pan so the original dip stick and upper tube would be the same as an L72 425 HP.

The GM pan was made using two oil pans. One was sliced near the bottom just above the rounded section and the 2nd was sliced about an inch or two higher. Then the sections from both pans are welded together. If it's a factory deep sump pan, it will have only one weld bead going around the bottom. If it's a home made deep sump pan, it will most likely have two wld beads indicating that just a section was added to a stock pan.

I don't remember how many additional quarts of oil would be required but probably at least two or three.

If your dip stick shows full with only 4 quarts, I think either the dip stick or tube is incorrect. Maybe from a 68 and later engine?
Your description sounds like what I have. A single weld all the way around the extended sump. I just can't figure out why the dipstick reads incorrectly. Who sells a correct stick and tube for a '66 427? I checked ebay and there are 'red tip' sticks and tubes available for BBCs. Not sure if they are marked correctly.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1

Is this it? Looks a little back yard. Maybe home made? Maybe real deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Counter-...p2047675.l2557
Old 10-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tompugh
Your description sounds like what I have. A single weld all the way around the extended sump. I just can't figure out why the dipstick reads incorrectly. Who sells a correct stick and tube for a '66 427? I checked ebay and there are 'red tip' sticks and tubes available for BBCs. Not sure if they are marked correctly.
You have a couple of choices. If I remember correctly, this pan was in the parts book as a 7 quart pan(6 in the pan, 1 in the filter). You could put six quarts in the pan, check the oil and mark the dipstick with a file at the correct level. If you don't want to mark the dipstick, you could get an old dipstick tube, cut a piece off and by trial and error, determine the length to be added to your original tube. Then remove the existing tube and tig weld the extension. With a little finish work, it would appear original and only the the most knowledgeable critic might know.

Last edited by 427425; 10-06-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM

That looks like it might be the GM pan. I've only had one of these but it was many decades ago so I don't remember the details. Pretty sure the 3879633 GM part number is correct.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:05 PM
tompugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeM

yes, that looks like what I am running
Old 10-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tompugh
yes, that looks like what I am running
I never found a GM part number for the unique pickup screen/tube that would be required with a deep sump pan. I suppose engineering assumed the user would design his own.

Get notified of new replies

To L88 dip stick vs L72 dip stick

Quick Reply: L88 dip stick vs L72 dip stick